Working with a starter - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By joebanana
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By joebanana
  • 2 Post By DashDingo
  • 1 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By just the cowboy

Old 08-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,895
Default Working with a starter

I’m helping out a fellow EC. He’s jammed up and I’m kinda slow right now.

He gave me a green starter and that’s okay. He’s a good kid and wants to learn. The problem I am having is keeping him busy. Half the time I just have him pass me tools when I’m on a ladder because I don’t know what else to do with him. I did teach him how to drive a scissor lift so he has more to do when we’re in the sky.

It’s kind of awkward. If he was into it for a few months and knew some things, I could make better use of him.

Suggestions? The jobs we’re doing aren’t big enough to have him assemble fixtures all day.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 745

I call that position a "ground man". There are very few times when it is worth while to have a ground man. Here and there sure, but not all day.

I am big into setup, prefabricating, and working smarter and not harder. Because of that, there is almost always something for someone else to do.

You might not have enough lights for him to assemble all day, but it's still a few hours. And the cleanup of the packaging. Unpacking stuff is the biggest waste of time, so having the cheap guy do it makes sense. As a foreman there was nothing I hated more than seeing a journeyman opening up boxes of lights.

I have had my apprentice go around drilling block walls and inserting the anchor, strap, and screw so that I can come in later and throw the pipe up. There is usually something that you can set them up on for a couple hours.
99cents likes this.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,073

Organize. Have him organize the truck, or the tub (Conex), the cart, or gangbox. Sweep, haul trash, nail-up boxes. Give him a bundle of conduit, and a box of couplings, and have him put couplings on each one.
99cents likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Organize. Have him organize the truck, or the tub (Conex), the cart, or gangbox. Sweep, haul trash, nail-up boxes. Give him a bundle of conduit, and a box of couplings, and have him put couplings on each one.

Someone that doesn’t know a lot shouldn’t do organizing. We got one on our crew. Every time he helps pack up it will be weeks before we find everything again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 26,196

At least you have a starter -- not a quitter.
99cents likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,073

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulengr View Post
Someone that doesn’t know a lot shouldn’t do organizing. We got one on our crew. Every time he helps pack up it will be weeks before we find everything again.

I guess I was just assuming this guy was somewhat competent. Ya know that "bucket" that has all the assorted fittings, screws, straps, wirenuts, washers, etc. that everybody just scoops up and dumps in the bucket for "someone else" to put away? On the truck, put all the 1/2" stuff in the 1/2" bins, 3/4" in the 3/4" bins, as opposed to stuff in the wrong bins, etc. It's a good way to learn about materials, and sizes we use. When I was brand new, and the boss got pissed at me, I got to go organize the truck. I learned many important things doing that, mainly, don't piss off the boss.
99cents likes this.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 16
Default Working with a starter

Have you replaced the coil?
Is the coil voltage low?

99cents and glen1971 like this.
DashDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashDingo View Post
Is the coil voltage low?

I read 99's post and kept thinking, this doesn't sound like a post about a motor starter at all......weird.......
99cents likes this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I read 99's post and kept thinking, this doesn't sound like a post about a motor starter at all......weird.......
Me too , and then when he said 'green starter' , I was thinking an energy efficient starter

As much as you can 99, use your head and his legs !
99cents likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,895

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashDingo View Post
Is the coil voltage low?

Never thought about that

I had to think about that for a minute...
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 14

Teach him as much as you can. If he is that green explain everything to him, share your skills. You are helping a fellow EC think of the training as part of that, this way you don't feel bad.

Cowboy
glen1971 likes this.