world plugs and sockets - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 506
Default world plugs and sockets

I lived all over the world and have used a bunch of these. Here is a interesting Wikipedia article on world electrical plugs and sockets.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
NO high voltage here

Rewards Points: 1,248

i was in london this year... Learned really quick about different plugs. my sister blew some **** up too. i told her 220 wont work
mikeh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,004

I visit family in India fairly regularly. India is a god damn electrical nightmare. Just about every place you look the wiring is sloppy or dangerous, although the standard is rising in building ~10 years and newer. High voltage boxes routinely left wide open on the street. Cables dangling all over the place, sometimes unterminated. Voltage potential between shower water and ground sometimes. No GFCIs. No electrical code that I could find. Extremely sloppy coreline-like stuff sticking out of concrete in some places. No concept of bending pipe but PVC conduit does get used for some things. Copper theft is very common as is electricity theft. Ground pins often broken off. Many fluorescent ballasts are cheap, noisy and crappy - good ones are available too but at several times the cost of the cheap ones. Nobody seems to make a distinction between phase and neutral conductors which are all sorts of random colours. Only green is standardised.

3-phase voltage is 415v, otherwise all other loads 240v. They use BS 546 3-pin 5A sockets for normal stuff and a similar looking but larger 15A version for bigger loads. On more professional room AC installations a proper disconnect box with a local circuit breaker is provided and has a different kind of plug/socket, the name of which I haven't been able to find out. For ungrounded loads when the 546 is not used there's a 2-pin 2A ungrounded plug which easily falls out of the socket. I believe every service is three-phase but there generally are no three-phase loads in a house. Central AC is uncommon given the often open construction style used there.

In my grandmother's old house(completed 1969) a surface mounted wiring technique was used. It was obvious this was installed by a true craftsman. A narrow wide strip of wood was nailed to the wall coming out of each room's main switch box, going up to the ceiling onto which the wires were bundled and stapled. It forked when it got to the ceiling and narrower strips of wood took the wires to individual loads. It's a hot country so every room in every house and building has a ceiling fan. In the old days the speed was controlled by a huge variable autotransformer. These were the best. Then resistive coils with multiple taps became popular because they were cheaper. Now they use tiny solid state controls, which are okay, and quiet but, sometimes provide inadequate control.
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote