Is this wrong? - Page 6 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree105Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #101
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 26,497
Rewards Points: 15,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
8th grade history classes in Canada probably don't teach the nicknames of US states.
Cypress Lake Junior High, situated curiously enough on Cypress Lake Drive. Fort Myers Florida. When I went there was nothing but gladiola farms surrounding it.
Now it's like townhouse central. I bet Florida Mike could tell me whether they mowed it down and built high-rise apt's on the site now.........
__________________
Thought for the Day: President Trump is the first sitting U.S. president to EVER step foot in North Korea... Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize for being black.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2019, 10:20 PM   #102
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 26,497
Rewards Points: 15,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
The delivery guy will install whatever cord that matches the receptacle.... But they never disconnect the N/G bond if they use 4-wire.

Bingo. Same deal here.
__________________
Thought for the Day: President Trump is the first sitting U.S. president to EVER step foot in North Korea... Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize for being black.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #103
Senior Member
 
220/221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,613
Rewards Points: 3,998
Default

I struggled many times with the whole relocating the /3 wire/4 wire thing.

From day one, I thought the 3 wire system was a potential danger and I like to do right thing......but I end up leaving it a 3 wire with whatever method I think is best for the situation.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2019, 03:34 AM   #104
Elderly Member
 
jelhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 549
Rewards Points: 1,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
Good thing Dennis came along when he did, lest your azz be handed to you. I'll alert him to this incident now..
Here was Hack’s wonderful post on 1/16... (Dennis deleted his comment about me having no intellect):


Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 AM #20
HackWork
Senior Member

HackWork's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 29,981
Rewards Points: 944


Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelhill View Post

Sharing 3 on one neutral... do the lights dim when they dry their hands?

I guess I’m just not a “neutral sharing” kind of guy.


[QUOTE]

Because you're not a real electrician.

If you were, you would know that the 3 hots feeding the entire building share a neutral too. Do the lights dim?
Like
readydave8 and JoeSparky like this.
Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 01-16-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Uncalled for response
__________________
....

Last edited by jelhill; 02-09-2019 at 04:40 AM.
jelhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #105
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,098
Rewards Points: 1,339
Default

The quote in your signature is so clearly made up, I donít talk like that. Only a water head like you would come up with something like that.

And Iíd like to point out that yet again youíre making a post about me, because youíre obsessed with my handsomeness.
jelhill likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #106
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,985
Rewards Points: 3,372
Default

Quote:
So how is what I did any different than the normal practice of using a 3 prong cord?
You are doing the neutral-ground bond in the receptacle rather than in the dryer. Either way ground faults in the dryer will be cleared through the neutral.

So what about a ground fault in a metal box? I'd say as long as the box is bonded to the strap, and so to the ground prong to the neutral, a ground fault to the box will be cleared through the neutral.

With a nonmetallic cable, no conduit at this box, you could do what you want with the ground upstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I did not use the ground wire because there was no reason to, nothing to attach it to in the old outlet box that I spliced into.
Terminating the ground wire in the receptacle would have been really bad, then the neutral current would be returning on both the neutral and ground in parallel.

Likewise if you bonded a metal box to the ground wire, also no good same problem. I think you're actually better off with the ground clipped like you have it. This is an example of white hat hacking, if you're going to be a hack, at least be a good hack.

I am trying to think what's really the hazard with the old fashioned setup where the ground faults are cleared by the neutral.

I guess with the three wire circuit, if for some reason the neutral is open on the dryer circuit and the fault does not clear, you have a hazard. But you have that hazard if the EGC is open in the four wire circuit.
HackWork likes this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #107
Senior Member
 
CoolWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 1,671
Rewards Points: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I guess with the three wire circuit, if for some reason the neutral is open on the dryer circuit and the fault does not clear, you have a hazard. But you have that hazard if the EGC is open in the four wire circuit.
Yes but to have the EGC become open, then have a fault to the frame, seems remote.
HackWork and splatz like this.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #108
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,985
Rewards Points: 3,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
Yes but to have the EGC become open, then have a fault to the frame, seems remote.
Now that I think about it.

If you have a ground fault while the wiring is proper either 3-wire or 4-wire, it clears immediately, all is well.

The EGC could be open for ten years then you have a ground fault to the frame of the dryer one day and it doesn't clear and you have a hazard.

If the neutral is open it won't be open for ten years, the dryer won't work right so you'll address it immediately.

Therefore, I declare the old method is safer.
CoolWill likes this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #109
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,985
Rewards Points: 3,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
now that i think about it.

If you have a ground fault while the wiring is proper either 3-wire or 4-wire, it clears immediately, all is well.

The egc could be open for ten years then you have a ground fault to the frame of the dryer one day and it doesn't clear and you have a hazard.

If the neutral is open it won't be open for ten years, the dryer won't work right so you'll address it immediately.

Therefore, i declare the old method is safer.
boom
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #110
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,098
Rewards Points: 1,339
Default

You heard it here folks, my hackery set the stage for determining the absolutely safest method to installing a dryer feed.

They were right when they said that not all superheroes wear capes. Well, I wear them sometimes, but nothing underneath the cape.
splatz and CoolWill like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #111
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

NOW HEAR THIS!
More bullchit out of Jersey!!!
You are WRONG!
CoolWill likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #112
Senior Member
 
CoolWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 1,671
Rewards Points: 1,620
Default

My dryer is on the wet back deck of a double wide. I just used two #12 THHN and drove a ground rod connected to the frame with jumper cables. It works, and it gives me a neat tingle when I brush against it in wet swim trunks. Win-win.
splatz likes this.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #113
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,098
Rewards Points: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterup View Post
NOW HEAR THIS!
More bullchit out of Jersey!!!
You are WRONG!
Yet you can't articulate a post to explain why. Why is that? Why are you trolling here?

What you posted goes against what everyone here already knows. It's a standard across the entire country, and has been for decades.

I Googled "electric dryer" and clicked on the first one to come up, a Whirlpool:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 7.50.26 AM.png
Views: 54
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 7.49.37 AM.png
Views: 55
Size:  96.7 KB

Read it. It specifically tells you that it comes from the factory with the neutral bonded to ground for use with a 3- prong cord. If using a 4 prong cord, you must remove that bond. If you were a real electrician you would understand this and concede. Or post the code the you insist exists prohibiting this.

But instead you will keep trolling, showing how ignorant you truly are.
CoolWill likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #114
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

you have been TRIGGERED!
CoolWill likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
CoolWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 1,671
Rewards Points: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Yet you can't articulate a post to explain why. Why is that? Why are you trolling here?

What you posted goes against what everyone here already knows. It's a standard across the entire country, and has been for decades.

I Googled "electric dryer" and clicked on the first one to come up, a Whirlpool:

Attachment 132254

Attachment 132256

Read it. It specifically tells you that it comes from the factory with the neutral bonded to ground for use with a 3- prong cord. If using a 4 prong cord, you must remove that bond. If you were a real electrician you would understand this and concede. Or post the code the you insist exists prohibiting this.

But instead you will keep trolling, showing how ignorant you truly are.
The fact that that set of instructions exists beyond just a sticker pointing to the bond jumper, shows that people must have been f'ing this up forever.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #116
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

I refuse REFUSE to take your idiotic thread seriously.
You set this thread up as atroll thred
BTW you would not pass an inspection here.
I've seen quite enough of your horse crap and your refusal to take ANY teaching from others
YOU ARE UNTEACHABLE
Wiresmith likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lighterup For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (02-10-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #117
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,098
Rewards Points: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterup View Post
you have been TRIGGERED!
Nope, I am just not going to allow you to continue to post misinformation.

You know very little about code, probably because you learned everything from that one instructor who I have exposed as a fraud no less than 6 times now.

But continue to troll, keep making a fool out of yourself...
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,098
Rewards Points: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterup View Post
I refuse REFUSE to take your idiotic thread seriously.
You set this thread up as atroll thred
No, I posted it to show that just because the NFPA says something is dangerous, it doesn't make it so. I want people to think for themselves. You have proven unable to do that.

Quote:
BTW you would not pass an inspection here.
No one cares about your one tiny area. As I said earlier, you sound like a guy from Chicago who constantly says how romex in a house is against code just because he can't do it in his one city. Shut up with that already.
Quote:
I've seen quite enough of your horse crap and your refusal to take ANY teaching from others
YOU ARE UNTEACHABLE
Bologna. I have learned a great deal from many people here.

I have learned nothing from you because you clearly have nothing to offer. I have just proved that. Go back and read your posts, tell me one of them that contains any factual information about the topic. I dare you
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #119
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

My quote board is on fire from Hackworks

Hey Hacworks...go drink your coffee
Wiresmith likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #120
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

I rarely reply to this joker and one of the rare times I indulge this kid
he goes off like a Roman Candle
Wiresmith likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lighterup For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (02-10-2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats wrong in this picture? :) Whose firing on all 8 cylinders? 847Videos General Electrical Discussion 55 06-10-2018 04:25 PM
Right or Wrong John Valdes Off Topic (Non Trade) 17 05-21-2018 04:33 PM
Homework question that I got wrong? Hmm... JasonCo NEC Code Forum 16 03-06-2018 01:04 PM
Wrong Order! MechanicalDVR General Electrical Discussion 17 07-28-2016 07:34 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com