Young pups bored at work? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree72Likes

Old 03-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Rewards Points: 2,720
Default Young pups bored at work?

I'm working beside four 18-20 yr old apprentices at a plant. All we've done the last few weeks is install cable trays. These young guys are b!tching because "they're bored" from having to do the same work fro the last weeks.

I came from an IT background, so troubleshooting a different problem(s) everyday was fairly typical, so I get they want to do something different after awhile, but what the hell? We're getting paid to do something fairly simple.

I'm the old guy (37) and they're complaining to me saying they're not sure if they're coming to work tomorrow (so far they keep coming back). I've tried to remind them of the incredible opportunity they'd be walking away from, but Last night I told the 18 year old that he really should just quit, you know because the b!tching is starting to get old.

Is this type of crybaby-ness normal or what? Do I mention to the jman what's going on? I have no desire to rat anybody out, but I feel their work is dropping off since they're p!ssed off. I'm getting paid for what I do, am I wrong to not want to do their share too?

Signed,
Obfuscated in Ohio
Galt likes this.

Last edited by CGW; 03-04-2016 at 11:47 AM.
CGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 19,045

Maybe the four of them were chugging along perfectly fine and then..........

Psst, pics or it didn't happen.
guest likes this.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Maybe the four of them were chugging along perfectly fine and then..........:thumbs:
What do you mean?

Last edited by CGW; 03-04-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

You have to hold what they call a "Come-to-Jesus" meeting with them. Explain that you're sick of hearing them bitch about a job they all applied for. And explain that the next gripe from one of them means ditch duty for all of them.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RePhase277 For This Useful Post:
CGW (03-04-2016), glen1971 (03-04-2016), guest (03-09-2016), KyleG87 (05-10-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,888

I think that crybaby-ness is normal for entitled teenagers these days. I'm 30 myself but when I was younger and a manager at a sub shop I did have a number of teenage employees.

When they told me they were not sure if they wanted to come in, I told them not to come in and gave their shift to someone else or just made due without to prove a point.
Sparkchaser1 likes this.
CGW (03-04-2016), guest (03-09-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
You have to hold what they call a "Come-to-Jesus" meeting with them. Explain that you're sick of hearing them bitch about a job they all applied for. And explain that the next gripe from one of them means ditch duty for all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Plc View Post
I think that crybaby-ness is normal for entitled teenagers these days. I'm 30 myself but when I was younger and a manager at a sub shop I did have a number of teenage employees.

When they told me they were not sure if they wanted to come in, I told them not to come in and gave their shift to someone else or just made due without to prove a point.
Do you complain to the jman and risk being labeled a backstabber? Or am I worried about nothing? What's pissing me off is we get behind and get yelled at as a group. I told the really annoying one I'm going to kick his arse if he doesn't get his crap together. I'm not in a position to re-assign or send anyone home, nor do I want to. Just do the fracking work
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 546

Insist on having one or two of the biggest complainers removed and hope the other two shape up, or do what everyone else seems to be doing these days and hold their hand, cut their sandwiches for them and wipe their noses.

It took me a long time with headaches of turn over to find a few apprentices that I can take from stater to Jman.
LuckyLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGW View Post
Do you complain to the jman and risk being labeled a backstabber? Or am I worried about nothing? What's pissing me off is we get behind and get yelled at as a group. I told the really annoying one I'm going to kick his arse if he doesn't get his crap together. I'm not in a position to re-assign or send anyone home, nor do I want to. Just do the fracking work
Well you have three options. One, you can become a hard a** and ride them til they quit. Two, you go to the boss and complain. Three, you keep quiet and let the teenagers continue to walk all over you. I vote option one.

We work in a difficult trade and not everyone is cut out for it. No reason to baby people that say they don't even know if they're going to come into work.
guest, eric7379 and SdCountySparky like this.
dawgs (03-09-2016), eric7379 (05-10-2016), glen1971 (03-04-2016), guest (03-09-2016), Rollie73 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 872

I wasn't the worlds greatest worker at that age either. It is a blessing when you have good help. My buddy has a couple and they are great to work with when I borrow them. Depends on whether your in charge, or just part of the crew.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
CGW (03-04-2016), Vintage Sounds (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Quote:
Well you have three options. One, you can become a hard a** and ride them til they quit. Two, you go to the boss and complain. Three, you keep quiet and let the teenagers continue to walk all over you.

I vote option one.
lol well put. I'm on my way to #1 already. But since I tend to have a negative bias against allot of so-called "lazy teenagers" I figured I should give them the benefit of the doubt. I probably had my moments when I was that age too
Old 03-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
lol well put. I'm on my way to #1 already. But since I tend to have a negative bias against allot of so-called "lazy teenagers" I figured I should give them the benefit of the doubt. I probably had my moments when I was that age too
I was a terrible employee back then. A little taste of the real world might do them some good.
readydave8 and CGW like this.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Quote:
I was a terrible employee back then. A little taste of the real world might do them some good.
Yeah definitely. We don't like to admit it, cuz clearly this is the only generation that's ever been lazy. But I did my share of belly aching when I was in my late teens.
readydave8 likes this.

Last edited by CGW; 03-04-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #13
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 872

Hell, I get bored easily and much prefer to troubleshoot or fix things than a day of endless repetition. That being said, you need to have basic construction skills in this trade, period. Doesn't mean you have to stay in construction. I can blow off jobs I don't care to do because I can make that decision, what they need to understand is they don't at this stage. If they are making the company look bad maybe have a talk with the boss.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
CGW (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 19,045

I was around 26 or so before the work attitude really kicked in. Before that, I was mostly concerned about riding larger and large waves. And bars. And women. Life is just a tire swing.
guest, readydave8, NC Plc and 1 others like this.
TRurak (05-10-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 14,919

Kids are different these days and you have to get used to it. It's a generation that has been raised with the internet, cell phones, text messaging, etc. It has created something akin to mass ADD. They have been conditioned to instant gratification and constant stimulation of the mind. Of course they will get bored hanging tray.

I'm not saying it's good or bad; it's just the way it is. Employers have to pay attention and weed out the worst very quickly. You would be doing your employer a favor by telling him what's going on. Employees are no different than buying material. You want the biggest bang for your buck.
guest and flyboy like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
CGW (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 458

Tell them one day, a repetitive, easy job might just be what the doctor ordered.
In a highly productive manufacturing plant, the electrician can become abused with troubleshooting not to mention being pulled off your work to help other crafts. That's how it works here in the south.
I looked forward to days where all I did was hang rack and install conduit.
It was nice to be able to kinda relax instead of being in a war zone and product must go out.
The fast life gets old fast. They just don't know it yet.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
eric7379 (05-10-2016), guest (03-09-2016), Vintage Sounds (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 7,751

Maybe I'm just a cranky old so and so, but just lay it down to them. Tell them it's this, or the yellow ticket to the hall. They gotta take the bad with the good, and they gotta "pull, or move on", and you'll get someone who wants to work. When you say "do I mention to the jman what's going on"? Where the hell is HE? In the job trailer? Aren't you a jman? Or just "the old guy"? Over the years I've developed what's called "selective hearing", it's an "old guy" trick I use to preserve my sanity, Maybe you should try it.
joebanana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joebanana For This Useful Post:
guest (03-09-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #18
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Maybe I'm just a cranky old so and so, but just lay it down to them. Tell them it's this, or the yellow ticket to the hall. They gotta take the bad with the good, and they gotta "pull, or move on", and you'll get someone who wants to work. When you say "do I mention to the jman what's going on"? Where the hell is HE? In the job trailer? Aren't you a jman? Or just "the old guy"? Over the years I've developed what's called "selective hearing", it's an "old guy" trick I use to preserve my sanity, Maybe you should try it.
No, I'm an apprentice who's also the old guy at 37 years old. I don't think that's old, but the kiddies think I am and therefore complain at me. The Jman (who's the same age as me) is floating around, but I don't feel it's my place to tell him where he should be lol
Old 03-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
ET rocks

Rewards Points: 2,174

This is part of one of the great paradox (or paradeoux, or paradoxes or whatever).

If some youngsters could muster the willpower to try to see the end from the beginning, they could settle down and just consistently implement their life plan, and some do. i didn't and have some regrets.

An old rancher once told me, "..heck, if i could just put my head on an 18yr old body..."
CGW likes this.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 7,751

Quote:
No, I'm an apprentice who's also the old guy at 37 years old. I don't think that's old, but the kiddies think I am and therefore complain at me. The Jman (who's the same age as me) is floating around, but I don't feel it's my place to tell him where he should be lol
Yeah, that's a tough position. Tell the youngsters YOU'RE there to work, and if they have a problem, go complain to the foreman, he'll handle it.
guest likes this.
joebanana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joebanana For This Useful Post:
guest (03-09-2016)