Your opinion on these career paths... - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By TRurak
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By NC Plc
  • 3 Post By telsa

Old 08-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Default Your opinion on these career paths...

I graduated from school in May from an electrical construction and maintenance program(2 year program) and also took a summer course doing overhead line work/pole climbing ect. I have been working with my uncle doing residential basically when he needs me.

Ive been looking nonstop on monster, indeed, and careerbuilder for a position. Ive only had 2 interviews and I believe they want someone with more experience.

I wanted to get into linework except where I live there doesnt seem to be openings. I dont want to move far because of family. I received a call from Freihofers(a large bakery around here) for a maintenance technician position. Id get experience with VFD's, some PLC's, and similar things.

But I also just applied to the local IBEW a couple days ago as well.

What do you think the smarter/better decision is long term? Ive tried talking to my uncle about it but one minute he'll suggest the union, and another he'll suggest the other.
jasonl176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 52

If I had to do it all again I would move to a place with a better local and probably go union. Just not Boston
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
TRurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,988

This just came up in another thread:

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f7/el...inemen-169449/

If you can get in with a good company learning PLCs, motors, and drives, and learn enough to make yourself indispensible, that's about as good as it gets, but there are a lot of companies that say you'll get into that stuff, and you will 2% of the time, but you're changing light bulbs most of the time and far from indispensable, and paid as such.
Majewski likes this.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl176 View Post
I graduated from school in May from an electrical construction and maintenance program(2 year program) and also took a summer course doing overhead line work/pole climbing ect. I have been working with my uncle doing residential basically when he needs me.

Ive been looking nonstop on monster, indeed, and careerbuilder for a position. Ive only had 2 interviews and I believe they want someone with more experience.

I wanted to get into linework except where I live there doesnt seem to be openings. I dont want to move far because of family. I received a call from Freihofers(a large bakery around here) for a maintenance technician position. Id get experience with VFD's, some PLC's, and similar things.

But I also just applied to the local IBEW a couple days ago as well.

What do you think the smarter/better decision is long term? Ive tried talking to my uncle about it but one minute he'll suggest the union, and another he'll suggest the other.
Freihofer's is a decent company. They have plenty of work with all those ovens. I'd try to take a job there on second shift and have day time to look for other things while being paid and collecting experience. You could end up in instrumentation at ConEd or a similar gig in the future. Many great electricians picked up experience in places like that.
Majewski likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop

Last edited by MechanicalDVR; 08-10-2016 at 02:03 PM.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
Majewski (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,888

Go with Freihofer. Field PLC experience is priceless when you're just starting out and opens up A LOT of doors when you can show that you worked for a company and programmed / installed / or troubleshoot them for a few years.

Most of the decent job offerings in my area for industrial require PLC experience.
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25,870

A very young man can hardly go wrong being employed by a 'signature' firm -- on that is known over a W I D E area.

Such an outfit is also V E R Y likely to promote from within.

Put another way, they just don't ever seem to have advanced positions out for hire.

The Food business is an outstanding selection for this nation is in deep economic trouble -- akin to the Great Depression of eighty-years ago.

We haven't solved this one any better than our great-grandparents did.

Being employed by a significant food business during turbulent economic times: PRICELESS.

The only thing equivalent: working for the Poco.

The problem this time around: no Poco really needs to massively expand its transmission lines. Even when this happens, it doesn't involve many local IBEW troopers. Experts from afar are brought in.

Which means that new openings are few and far between -- which means a LOT where you're standing.

Yes, any IBEW trooper with relatives is going to push his nephew ahead of you.

Don't blame him.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 28

I spoke with someone in HR from there today. I was told a lot of the time your not dealing with things of an electrical nature. Lots of PM stuff and mechanical.
Another piece of info I was told is that its either an afternoon or overnight shift.
jasonl176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl176 View Post
I spoke with someone in HR from there today. I was told a lot of the time your not dealing with things of an electrical nature. Lots of PM stuff and mechanical.
Another piece of info I was told is that its either an afternoon or overnight shift.
You will have some free daylight hours if you take second shift. I always loved overnights myself. I love early mornings.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote