18 th edition metal consumer unit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > UK Electrical Forum

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dronai
  • 1 Post By theskid
  • 2 Post By gpop
  • 1 Post By dronai
  • 1 Post By gpop
  • 2 Post By Going_Commando

Old 02-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default 18 th edition metal consumer unit

I've been a spark for 30 years and 17th qualified with 2391 and from the installation contracting background, but for the last 5,6 years I've been an maintenance electrician at a local hospital, and never had to replace a consumer unit since the plastic ones were allowed
So a friend has asked me to upgrade his plastic non rcd fuse board
So I'll be putting in a dual rcd metal consumer unit as I should I realise I have to get a special gland for the tails, but for the incoming cables in the back of the board can you seal the hole needed with intrimuscent fire sealant what do you guys do, and for entries into the box I hear blind grommets are sufficient is this true
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
theskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskid View Post
I've been a spark for 30 years and 17th qualified with 2391 and from the installation contracting background, but for the last 5,6 years I've been an maintenance electrician at a local hospital, and never had to replace a consumer unit since the plastic ones were allowed
So a friend has asked me to upgrade his plastic non rcd fuse board
So I'll be putting in a dual rcd metal consumer unit as I should I realise I have to get a special gland for the tails, but for the incoming cables in the back of the board can you seal the hole needed with intrimuscent fire sealant what do you guys do, and for entries into the box I hear blind grommets are sufficient is this true
Thanks

First let me translate your Engish

I've been an Electrician for 30 years, and 17th qualified with 2391 I was 17th in my class, with about 2,391 installs.

"but for the last 5,6 years I've been an maintenance electrician at a local hospital, and never had to replace a consumer unit since the plastic ones were allowed" What kind of consumer unit are we talking about ?

"So a friend has asked me to upgrade his plastic non rcd fuse board" Is this an electrical panel with fuses ?

"So I'll be putting in a dual rcd metal consumer unit as I should I realise I have to get a special gland for the tails", WTH ?

but for the incoming cables in the back of the board can you seal the hole needed with intrimuscent fire sealant what do you guys do, and for entries into the box I hear blind grommets are sufficient is this true Photos , especially the gland ?
John Valdes likes this.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
First let me translate your Engish

I've been an Electrician for 30 years, and 17th qualified with 2391 I was 17th in my class, with about 2,391 installs.

"but for the last 5,6 years I've been an maintenance electrician at a local hospital, and never had to replace a consumer unit since the plastic ones were allowed" What kind of consumer unit are we talking about ?

"So a friend has asked me to upgrade his plastic non rcd fuse board" Is this an electrical panel with fuses ?

"So I'll be putting in a dual rcd metal consumer unit as I should I realise I have to get a special gland for the tails", WTH ?

but for the incoming cables in the back of the board can you seal the hole needed with intrimuscent fire sealant what do you guys do, and for entries into the box I hear blind grommets are sufficient is this true Photos , especially the gland ?
They use to use plastic fuse boxes but now they have to be changed out for metal breaker panel with a main rcd (like a gfci but reacts at a higher threshold, I think, to lazy to google).

Tail i presume is the wire you put in the box. As most homes are brick you flush mount and the cable goes in the top of the box or the back.

I think he needs to find a Uk based website.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpop For This Useful Post:
dronai (02-26-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 05:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,269

Yeah, yank out the old box, slam in an all-in-one combo panel, a couple of Romex conns., maybe some duct-seal, and bobs your uncle.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

I thought this was posted in the uk section, as uk sparks will know what I'm talking about
Thanks for help anyway
17th refers to 17th edition of the wiring regulation
Tails and double insulated cabling coming from the meter to the consumer unit
I suppose I'll post this on a UK website

dronai likes this.
theskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
I thought this was posted in the uk section, as uk sparks will know what I'm talking about
Thanks for help anyway

Im from Norfolk, You need to find someone from Suffolk as i here them folk have electricity inside there homes.
dronai and Max C. like this.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
Im from Norfolk, You need to find someone from Suffolk as i here them folk have electricity inside there homes.
We speak the same language, but it's completely different

Had a employee from Ireland, and he called a homerun a ringloop
Max C. likes this.

Last edited by dronai; 02-12-2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
We speak the same language, but it's completly different

Yer they don't use homeruns as everything is a ring main. Start at the breaker run a loop then return to the same breaker.

Had to re-learn a lot of stuff when i came to Florida.
dronai likes this.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
Premium Member

Quote:
Yer they don't use homeruns as everything is a ring main. Start at the breaker run a loop then return to the same breaker.

Return to the same breaker ? Can you draw that circuit out on paper
Old 02-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Return to the same breaker ? Can you draw that circuit out on paper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_circuit
The Following User Says Thank You to gpop For This Useful Post:
dronai (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,228

Quote:
Thanks for help anyway

You are in the right forum. Welcome by the way.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,640

Quote:
Quote:
We speak the same language, but it's completly different

Ya'll need to watch more YouTube. A "homerun" in the US is a radial circuit in the UK. Rings are different. They also have gfp protection (Residual Current Device) on everything with either 2 RCD breakers protecting a bunch of smaller regular breakers (kinda like split bus panels), or RCBOs which are gfi breakers with neutral pigtails, so a ground fault won't knock out 1/2 a panel. Those seem to be the new hotness. They also have to put 8,000 warning stickers on their panels that say electricity is scary and colors may vary since they went from red/black to brown/blue for line and neutral colors.

Hack would like them because the YouTubers are all about wago levernuts.
dronai and MTW like this.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
MTW

Rewards Points: 13,015

First fix, second fix = rough and trim.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Ya'll need to watch more YouTube. A "homerun" in the US is a radial circuit in the UK. Rings are different. They also have gfp protection (Residual Current Device) on everything with either 2 RCD breakers protecting a bunch of smaller regular breakers (kinda like split bus panels), or RCBOs which are gfi breakers with neutral pigtails, so a ground fault won't knock out 1/2 a panel. Those seem to be the new hotness. They also have to put 8,000 warning stickers on their panels that say electricity is scary and colors may vary since they went from red/black to brown/blue for line and neutral colors.

Hack would like them because the YouTubers are all about wago levernuts.
Guy i worked for as a kid always called a radial circuit a "spur".
All the receptacles and lighting was on rings with the hot water heater, shower and oven on spurs.
My favorite job was repairing ceiling rose joints in old home where all the wires are black. My least favorite was chasing brick walls to embed the cables