EON Powerdown Plug Help/Alternatives - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > UK Electrical Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default EON Powerdown Plug Help/Alternatives

Hi all, first time poster & I hope it's in the right area, sorry I'm not an electrician but hoping I can get some help/advice.

For many years now I've been using an EON Powerdown Plug to power my PC & its peripherals, specifically the Desktop version "DSK105EON".
Sorry, I can't post links/photos/videos to it as I have fewer than 20 posts so you will just have to google it

The idea behind this plug is basically that it monitors your PC's power consumption and basically when it belives either your PC is off or idle, it will automatically turn off power to the secondary plug sockets which your peripherals (monitors, speakers etc) are plugged into.

This has been working well for years now but over the years as my PC has been upgraded and required more and more power to power the bits of hardware. I've gotten to the point now that even when using some programs like Photoshop and the like, the power adapter thinks I'm not using my PC at all as its power consumption is pretty low in comparison to when it's running flat out like when I'm playing an intensive game. As such it turns off all my monitors, speakers, lights etc connected to my PC, even thou I'm trying to work on it as it thinks it is doing nothing... This might be also because while I do have some very high-performance hardware in my PC, it also is energy efficient with turning off the fans when it isn't doing anything and doesn't need to be cooled etc, further increasing the gap between when my PC is at full power, and just normal usage, and narrowing the gap between normal usage and idle.

The plug comes with an "Auto Calibration" feature that "continuously measures the amount of electricity being consumed by your Desktop Computer in active and standby mode, by learning your computers’ unique energy pattern the EON will only power your peripherals on/off when appropriate. At the right time, every time".

But in my case, "At the right time, every time" really isn't the case...

I really like the plug when it works, it means that everything is automatically powered down not in use, not only saving power but also means that all the lights are off and the speakers aren't buzzing etc, etc.

With all that in mind, I've got two questions for this community.
1. Can I do anything to modify this plug to safely modify its "Auto Calibration" feature to make it manually calibrated or something along those lines? I ideally would like everything to automatic turn off when I really am not using my PC but right now, I would settle on it just automatically turning things off when my PC shuts down and everything stays on, even when at idle when my PC is on over the current setup.

2. Are there any alternatives to this plug anyone can recommend? Ideally, I would like some kind of automatic setup, similar to how the EON plug is meant to work but I would settle on a manual setup as that would be better than what I have right now.
  • A manual setup would have to have some kind of button that is far away from the plug socket however and ideally totally separate from where the plugs plugin as well not easily being reach where my power cables all are. I know with a smart plug I could turn it on/off from my phone, but I really don't want to have to get out my phone every time I want to turn my screens on/off and want some local control to where my PC is.
  • As for an Automatic setup, ideally, it would be able to tell when I really wasn't at my PC and turn things off, with turning them on with the move of a mouse etc, but I would settle on just being able to tell when my PC was power up/down.
Thanks!
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 7,358

Rino? Man I bought cassette tapes from you guys all the time,,, many years ago..
IBTL
The Following User Says Thank You to Wirenuting For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 878

If you had not said you were NOT an electrician.

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com.

However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Closed Thread