Electrician Talk banner

MBF/U advice needed

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  chrisb271 
#1 ·
Hi all, total newbie here

Having some issues with MBF/U high bay lights and discharge lighting not my forte.
I have 5no 400W MBF/U high bays on one circuit which appears, according to my clamp meter to be running at 22amp after initial start up, which seems high to me and it seems high to the 10A mcb they have happily been running on for a very long time.
Could it be age of fittings or is it more likely to be a faulty ballast. I have split the circuits to 2no fittings on one and 3no on the other and these run at 10amp and 12amp respectively

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

#2 ·
Hi slash,MBF lamps and gear are current thirsty when they get older,especially the lamps,they seem to want more and more,you may find they will not last overlong.

i've known some of the old street lamps of 80 or 125w MBFu to take 4 or five amps each when they are a year or two old.

Totally useless piece of information
We used to have a chap come round and take some of the old ( working ) MBFu lamps away,he used to use the lamps to attract moths.

takes all sorts :laughing:

I try and steer people away from MBFu now if possible and use SON HQI they are a lot better light altogether

Chris
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.