Need some advice on becoming a fully qualified sparky - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > UK Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TownMan10

Old 11-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default Need some advice on becoming a fully qualified sparky

Hi guys.
Currently working as a dual fuel engineer, and whilst I don't mind the job it was never really what I wanted to do... It's a fairly cushty job really but is quite limited in scope and starting to get a bit mundane/tedious with workloads getting a bit silly with the current push to get smart meters installed.

Have tried looking for adult apprenticeships and such and tried ringing round a lot of the big local contractors to see if they would be interested in taking anyone on but have never found much luck. I'm 31 at present so finding such placements is nigh impossible.

Have seen quite a few courses online and was wondering what the crack is with them and/or what would be the best way to go about getting my foot in the door of the electrical trade?

Obviously it's a bit tricky as some of the courses are a month so getting the time off work to go do one is kinda tricky and I don't really fancy jacking in my current job completely on the hope that I can get through a course and find work in short order afterwards as I currently have a mortgage and other financial commitments.

The local college doesn't seem to do night or weekend classes so that's not an option.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated as I really want to get out of my current job in the next year or so.

Thanks.
Richy.
Richy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 05:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 46

Hmm that is a tough one. Have you spoken to the local training centres? Have you actually spoken in person to a qualified electrician in your area? They might be better informed than anyone on here.
Bird dog likes this.
TownMan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy85 View Post

The local college doesn't seem to do night or weekend classes so that's not an option.
My ex BIL is doing the change of career thing at 50, (which I think is very brave!) but he is doing has basic course at night school.

His local one does not offer a suitable course, so he has ended up traveling something like 25miles each way, two night a week...

I think he is ok for the first year, but I am pretty sure the next level requires a job placement as part of the qualification, so quite how he is going to do that, I don't know....
Pete E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 26,360

You're in the UK.

Last edited by telsa; 02-23-2018 at 06:10 AM.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post

You're in the UK.
That's good to know!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,349

Too bad you guy's don't have an IBEW there, that's what you need. Canada has one,
(kinda) why don't you guys?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

We have plenty of Unions over here, its just that they don't play the same role as in the States.

Traditionally, apprenticeships were aimed at youngsters although that has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years or so...These days there are different ways to get into a trade, but its very difficult to do while trying to hold down a different job and look after a family ect..
Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #8

Richie within next 2 years they are changing the meters to incorporate all 3 services gas, water and elec . They have messed all the Mpan numbers up to a point they are just charging what th IHD records for that month but they need to call them for this recorded data. Once they link these new meters to wi fi and change the Mpan numbers you will get 160+ per property for the 3 installs you will easily do 2 a day.
My advice is to concentrate hard and respect the position you hold because you are altering main DNO equipment and can cause fire, explosions , gas leaks and shock risk within the property . That is not a job any silly fool can do . You have DNO sealing pliers and permission to work on national grids supply network. Not to mention every house you go to is vert easy work even with pipe work altering .
If you feel like this about the job you do then I would not leave unless it's for a HNC degree or the likes but if you carry on with this frame of mind you will get gas leaks and this involves suspension, investigations and Hse reports . And this is what company's will look for when taking you on. Make sure you get out before you leave gas leak or cross polarity because game over then ! For you whole career . Sever incompetence and dangerous work practices to the public health & Safety .
I know 3 people who cannot get job doing gas because of this . Even only being 2 Mbar drop. Because the tenant report said "I told him the vent was blocked up and I could smell gas" had a guy from the post office in lounge who heard him and was a witness. Anyway yes the job is mundane but try and get fuse board changes and give to me and I will box you off plus 2 years 300 pound per day is very appealing don't you think for changing meters !! United utilities is going with SP so that's were you need to be at mate!
Liverpoolcompliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:53 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Richy85;4568209]Hi guys.
Currently working as a dual fuel engineer, and whilst I don't mind the job it was never really what I

Have tried looking for adult apprenticeships and such and tried ringing round a lot of the big local contractors to see if they would be interested in taking anyone on but have never found much luck. I'm 31 at present so finding such placements is nigh impossible.

Have seen quite a few courses online and was wondering what the crack is with them and/or what would be the best way to go about getting my foot in the door of the electrical trade?

Obviously it's a bit tricky as some of the courses are a month so getting the time off work to go do one is kinda tricky and I don't really fancy jacking in my current job completely on the hope that I can get through a course and find work in short order afterwards as I currently have a mortgage and other financial commitments.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated as I really want to get out of my current job in the next year or so.

Thanks.

Ps
See if you can get your smicops and electrical registration put in your own name and go self employed fitting meters you will get 75 per meter and will have the DNO sealing pliers in your own name . That would be absolutely gold dust to a spark firm if you could re-seal the meters after a board change . Any firm would snap you up straight away with that asset under your belt. 95 to fit dp isolater and re-seal. Demand e.i.c.r before you do any of that work isolater etc. And charge for one if they don't have. There is a plan for you so get of your ass and make it happen
Liverpoolcompliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 46

Good luck
LeboElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,528

although im not a uk spark I will tell you its a better deal for you to follow the correct path in education. apprenticing for the on the job training will give you the work experience but the schooling will give you the foundation knowledge you need.
i have always told my apprentices do not touch a circuit unless you absolutely know what you are doing!

from the legal aspect of it you have to consider its your name that goes on the cert when you commission a system.

this is the uk forum im on as well they can guide you better!
https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/

cheers

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpoolcompliance View Post
Richie within next 2 years they are changing the meters to incorporate all 3 services gas, water and elec . They have messed all the Mpan numbers up to a point they are just charging what th IHD records for that month but they need to call them for this recorded data. Once they link these new meters to wi fi and change the Mpan numbers you will get 160+ per property for the 3 installs you will easily do 2 a day.
My advice is to concentrate hard and respect the position you hold because you are altering main DNO equipment and can cause fire, explosions , gas leaks and shock risk within the property . That is not a job any silly fool can do . You have DNO sealing pliers and permission to work on national grids supply network. Not to mention every house you go to is vert easy work even with pipe work altering .
If you feel like this about the job you do then I would not leave unless it's for a HNC degree or the likes but if you carry on with this frame of mind you will get gas leaks and this involves suspension, investigations and Hse reports . And this is what company's will look for when taking you on. Make sure you get out before you leave gas leak or cross polarity because game over then ! For you whole career . Sever incompetence and dangerous work practices to the public health & Safety .
I know 3 people who cannot get job doing gas because of this . Even only being 2 Mbar drop. Because the tenant report said "I told him the vent was blocked up and I could smell gas" had a guy from the post office in lounge who heard him and was a witness. Anyway yes the job is mundane but try and get fuse board changes and give to me and I will box you off plus 2 years 300 pound per day is very appealing don't you think for changing meters !! United utilities is going with SP so that's were you need to be at mate!
I'm completely lost here
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
I'm completely lost here
integrated utilities metering system
will cut down the number of meter readers
more if they are communication wired to the services(usually via a customers phone service)

pro of it will be universal meters throughout the country and probably a lot of upgrades to existing systems
possibly lower rates for the customers. and a more efficient system of readings

con temporary loss of power during upgrades.
and reassignment of meter readers if wired for communications

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote