PAT Testing: Cordless Kettles - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > UK Electrical Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default PAT Testing: Cordless Kettles

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with the following query.

I was testing a cordless plastic body electric kettle for earth continuity and measured 0.5 Ohms between the kettle element and and earth pin on the plug. I was a bit suspisous (as I expected a lower reading, i.e. a pass reading) as the kettle seemed fairly new. The resistance between the base unit earth connector and earth pin on the plug was 0.03 Ohms.

I made the same measurement on a brand new plastic body cordless kettle which I had and obtained 0.5 Ohms between plug earth pin and kettle element? I checked the test meter on a checkbox and there were no problems with accuracy for earth continuity measurements. The meter was calibrated in November 2011 and was purchased in 2011.

The test equipment is a battery powered hand held meter and uses 200mA for the earth continuity test. Test on lots of other class 1 appliances (i.e. portable, movable and stationary etc) are fine. The resistance of the meter test lead is 0.02 Ohms.

I am aware the scaling could affect the reading but the brand new kettle
but wondering why I am getting 0.5 Ohms on a brand new plastic body cordless kettle?

Regards

Kev
KevA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Does seem high. Do you mean a detachable kettle i.e. the kettle comes away from the base unit?

Scaling can be an be a issue. I take it you are keeping the element covered with water when your putting a testing through it? Really not good for the element if your not.

Adjust the clamp on the element again a try an alternative spot for a better connection. If you still get a high reading then its failed - simples.

Remember - just because its new, doesn't mean its safe. You only need to look at the queue's in Argos to see people taking back faulty electrical goods.
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WarrenG For This Useful Post:
76nemo (04-25-2012)