Uk street lights - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > UK Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeFL

Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Uk street lights

Hi all new to here I am a cctv installer and one of my clients has asked for a quote to install cameras in a retail park car park. Issue I have is getting power to the cctv system the client had said we can tap into the lighting for power.

1. Is this possible?
2.if so what do I need or what company can I contact?

The lighting Is the only source of power there is retail units on site but I donít think they would be happy if we plug into their store.

Can anyone help or give some advice please.?
Tamgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 798

If the owner of the lights is the owner of the cameras, it should be something any qualified electrician can accommodate.

If those lights are owned by someone else (city, electric company, etc.) then the owner of the lights would have to authorize it and also prescribe who is allowed to do the connection. Or they may flat out deny the request.

First step is find out who owns the lights.

FYI to Americans, he means a parking lot at a strip mall.
MechanicalDVR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,332

Only reason you would bug power is if the camera was wireless.
Consider solar for wireless
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,612

Welcome aboard @Tamgunner!

I'd call a certified/licensed electrician in your area and take all the guess work out of the equation.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:30 AM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I just got done doing two of these recently. They went on light poles, but the poles were only powered at night so stealing a trickle of power was not an option for at least half the day. The arrangement was a box with a solar panel, charger, batteries, and wireless antenna. Camera was mounted on the door of the box. Most of the stuff came from Axis.

These were customer-owned poles, mind you, so no worries there. It's right difficult to get a joint use agreement to hang your stuff on someone else's poles.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,538

with most pole lighting systems you have to consider how they are wired.
individuals dusk to dawn photoswitches, manually controlled contactors, plc controlled contactors, or timer switches.
each one poses different applications and procedures.

individual dusk to dawn photo switch will have power supplied at all times unless the breaker or disconnect is thrown off.
the photoswitch controls whether the power is switched on to the lamp.
power supply for the camera can be tied into the circuit before the photo switch circuit. but be aware this could cause interference in the camera.

manual contactors, plc controlled contactors, and timers will disconnect the supply power to the pole so cameras would only be powered at night.

solar powering the cameras is ok as long as the battery is sufficient to keep the camera operating the entire time over night.

and as it has been said before it also depends on who owns the light poles whether you can connect a camera to the circuit or not.

it may be a better idea to install camera towers on the building itself

2 towers with cameras covering the entire lot with overlapping field of view.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Last edited by gnuuser; 08-04-2018 at 09:25 AM.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 798

Across the pond it is common to have a separate dedicated grid for outdoor lighting. I can't speak for OP's locale. If it is that separate grid, it's only hot dusk til dawn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamgunner View Post
Hi all new to here I am a cctv installer and one of my clients has asked for a quote to install cameras in a retail park car park. Issue I have is getting power to the cctv system the client had said we can tap into the lighting for power.

1. Is this possible?
2.if so what do I need or what company can I contact?

The lighting Is the only source of power there is retail units on site but I donít think they would be happy if we plug into their store.

Can anyone help or give some advice please.?
If it is the owner of the retail car park you will need to find out the following:
1- Do the lighting columns have permanent feed to the base of each column or are they supplied via a contactor and time clock.

2- Is the a separate ducting to run CCTV cables in away from the mains cables.

If it is not the owner then you will need to find out via your client whether you can install CCTV cameras on the columns from the retail park owners which I very much doubt.

Last edited by septiclecky; 08-04-2018 at 04:54 PM.
septiclecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by septiclecky View Post
If it is the owner of the retail car park you will need to find out the following:
1- Do the lighting columns have permanent feed to the base of each column or are they supplied via a contactor and time clock.

2- Is the a separate ducting to run CCTV cables in away from the mains cables.

If it is not the owner then you will need to find out via your client whether you can install CCTV cameras on the columns from the retail park owners which I very much doubt.

If you are going to run a wire to the cameras then you would just use a Siamese cable and bring the power from the same place you are planing to monitor the video. Still would have to ask who owns the light pole you are planning to mount the camera to.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

It's possible, try to find more info in books
Giqexove is offline   Reply With Quote