Apprentice Questions - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 03-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Apprentice Questions

Hello,

I have a question that hopefully someone from California could answer.

I recently applied to the apprentice program in Orange County and past the exam and interview. I was placed in the 140th slot out of approximately over 200 according to them when I called. Well suffice to say I wont be called unless a miracle happens.

My next avenue of approach was to get hired by a non union shop to accumulate hours, training/experience in the time being; but unfortunately, in order to be hired by them I would need to have an apprentice certificate issued by California according to the shops I have called.

Is it possible to be hired by a company as an apprentice while going to school at the same time?

Any advice, tips, stories that could help me out would be welcomed. FYI I have no experience.
aekastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,873

Hi neighbor, I'm out of L.U. 477. Welcome to E.T. forum. Hang in there, apprentices get on jobs faster than journeymen, and get paid better than non-union shops every time. New jobs are starting all the time, and it shouldn't take too long before you're on one. You are in the NJATC program right? Enjoy going to school while you're not working. When you are going to school, and doing 8 hrs. it makes for long day's.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
LOCO 11

Rewards Points: 223

To work for a non-Union shop you need a Electricians Trainee card.
M.A.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Thank you joebanana.

The reason for me trying to work at a non union shop is that if I obtain experience and time I can ask for another interview with the NJATC coordinators and hopefully be placed higher on the list. I am determined to do what is necessary to be a proficient person in this trait.

So my question is there are companies that are willing to hire me while I go to school with the trainee card? I am willing to even pay for the schooling myself since it is at a local community college.
aekastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #5
LOCO 11

Rewards Points: 223

Here's a link so you can better understand the trainee card. http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/electricaltrainee.htm

I'm actually on the POE list for local 11, since I have my ET card I've been working for a electrical company for acouple months. It may take a while for my number to be called up but it can also take so long I would have to reapply.
M.A.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

If your attending an accredited school, I'm pretty sure they will provide you with an et card. I know at least with my place of employment (based in orange country), they will hire trainees, if they are hiring at all.
Dhender1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I'm in local 441. Finishing up my first year.

Been out of work for nearly a month. Trust me you don't want in this local anyway. They don't have nearly enough work.

I'm planning my trip out of state to go visit other locals that will hopefully accept me
U Mirin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekastr View Post
Hello,

I have a question that hopefully someone from California could answer.

I recently applied to the apprentice program in Orange County and past the exam and interview. I was placed in the 140th slot out of approximately over 200 according to them when I called. Well suffice to say I wont be called unless a miracle happens.
Any advice, tips, stories that could help me out would be welcomed. FYI I have no experience.
Welcome aboard.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Mirin? View Post
I'm in local 441. Finishing up my first year.

Been out of work for nearly a month. Trust me you don't want in this local anyway. They don't have nearly enough work.

I'm planning my trip out of state to go visit other locals that will hopefully accept me
I'm looking at moving to the Reno area. From what I hear, they have alot of work, and the cost of living is cheaper then California. And they view can't be beat.
Dhender1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:01 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 25,624

Math scores -- kill your application.

The IBEW prides itself on having squared away fellas.

Perfect algebra -- and the "power circle" -- see Ugly's -- are BIG helps.

Today's high schools -- flatly don't teach algebra to the average Joe.

Which is a shame.

Because, in our trade, algebra, trig, is ESSENTIAL.

Though most of the equations have been LONG been solved -- the apprentice needs to be 'hip' as to what's up.

So the tables and charts make sense.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Math scores -- kill your application.

The IBEW prides itself on having squared away fellas.

Perfect algebra -- and the "power circle" -- see Ugly's -- are BIG helps.

Today's high schools -- flatly don't teach algebra to the average Joe.

Which is a shame.

Because, in our trade, algebra, trig, is ESSENTIAL.

Though most of the equations have been LONG been solved -- the apprentice needs to be 'hip' as to what's up.

So the tables and charts make sense.
Algebra is otherwise known as math course 1 and is a mandatory graduation requirement and taught in every high school in the United States of America. The only go-around is a GED diploma, although algebra is a part of it, a person could totally fail the algebra / trig portion and still obtain a GED, which is why my local has stopped accepting the GED in lieu of a H.S. diploma. 75% of 1st year apprentices with GEDs could not pass their 1st year.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 48

Check out associated builders and contractors it's a indentured apprenticeship which is state certified. You get all the pay benifets of Union and a good education in either sylmar (la, Ventura office) or Anaheim (so cal office) I'm almost done in la Ventura. There's tons of free extra curricular stuff you can do and very knowledgable teachers.
There's a few good big contractors that pull from there so there's plenty of work.

http://www.abclaventura.org
Meets once a week and occasional Saturday's

http://www.abcsocal.org
Meets for two weeks strait every 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Electrozappo is offline   Reply With Quote