Can you put your "A" card to inactive statue and return to work later? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 02-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
EM1

Rewards Points: 228
Default Can you put your "A" card to inactive statue and return to work later?

Is it possible to go to an inactive status, work in another field or do maintenance work, and come back to sign the book after a few years? What would be the right way to approach this? Is it even a possibility?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1 View Post
Is it possible to go to an inactive status, work in another field or do maintenance work, and come back to sign the book after a few years? What would be the right way to approach this? Is it even a possibility?
How much are your annual dues?
I think I would just pay it and not put it in the IO.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
How much are your annual dues?
I think I would just pay it and not put it in the IO.
I was going to say, don't pay your dues and they'll automatically do it for you. You'll have to pay a reinstatement fee.
joebanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 40

i've always wondered what people get out of paying dues when they work somewhere else - e.g. for a signatory contractor in their office or something. do you still get those years you pay added to your pension? are you paying for the right to show up to meetings?
midnight-theme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Pay your quarterly to the international no matter what. It just makes sense and should be under $500. If you don't sign the book, you aren't looking for work. Your still a member of your home local. If you shelf your ticket, you actually have no local and are a member of the international only.

My 2 cents. Should you choose to come back after shelving your ticket, you would have to ask for acceptance into the local you want to work out of. If that's your home local, thy might take issue with it not being good enough for you to stay in the first place.

Most locals have a rule (may be international) if you don't work out of your local for 4 years, you would have to get called off of the B book when you decide to return. Might be a problem if your local never clears their A book.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
86 45 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight-theme View Post
i've always wondered what people get out of paying dues when they work somewhere else - e.g. for a signatory contractor in their office or something. do you still get those years you pay added to your pension? are you paying for the right to show up to meetings?
I've done that a few times and just took the idea that I was making a living and someone else could take a call that I would have had and was able to work.
With that said, I always kept up my dues and always had my benefits paid. Now that I'm pushin 56, I'm glad I made that decision.
I put quite a bit of sacrifice into getting that yellow ticket in my younger years and I'm not just going to let it go very easily.
I keep in good standing and check in with my BA every so often and things are good.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
I've done that a few times and just took the idea that I was making a living and someone else could take a call that I would have had and was able to work.
With that said, I always kept up my dues and always had my benefits paid. Now that I'm pushin 56, I'm glad I made that decision.
I put quite a bit of sacrifice into getting that yellow ticket in my younger years and I'm not just going to let it go very easily.
I keep in good standing and check in with my BA every so often and things are good.
that's good to know. 42 bucks a month is an incredible deal for what you get!
midnight-theme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
EM1

Rewards Points: 228

"jrannis"

So you are saying I can just pay my annual dues, and if/when I want to go back to work through the I can just sign the book.

What do you mean you always had your benefits paid? I've had employers that were late in paying their contribution to the EWTF and the hall sent me notice of cancelling my health insurance if not paid promptly. What benefits are kept up just by keeping my annual dues paid?
Old 02-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight-theme View Post
Your pension is determined by working the required number of hours, each of which your contractor contributes to the pension fund on your behalf. If you shelve your card, you're not working any hours therefore, no pension credit.
LawnGuyLandSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LawnGuyLandSparky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 725

Look into "participating withdrawal", not available in all locals. You can be out for up to five years (with dues still needing to be paid).
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
86 45 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1 View Post
"jrannis"

So you are saying I can just pay my annual dues, and if/when I want to go back to work through the I can just sign the book.

What do you mean you always had your benefits paid? I've had employers that were late in paying their contribution to the EWTF and the hall sent me notice of cancelling my health insurance if not paid promptly. What benefits are kept up just by keeping my annual dues paid?
Sorry,
I meant that when I worked I. The office, they paid my H& W. I kept up my dues. So, no broken service.