Crossroads, need help regarding union apprenticeship - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Crossroads, need help regarding union apprenticeship

I'm currently living in NYC, but planning on moving to Florida to start a family in a few years. Does anyone know if I can start an apprenticeship in New York and transfer my hours to Florida? Will I even be accepted if I'm planning on moving in a couple of years?

Alternatively, is there another way to get into an apprenticeship program other than through the IBEW?

Thank you!
ijurgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijurgensen View Post
I'm currently living in NYC, but planning on moving to Florida to start a family in a few years. Does anyone know if I can start an apprenticeship in New York and transfer my hours to Florida? Will I even be accepted if I'm planning on moving in a couple of years?

Alternatively, is there another way to get into an apprenticeship program other than through the IBEW?

Thank you!
Yes you can go non Union,,, The best way to find out is to read the state of Florida's laws and contact them...Look here.

http://www.licensedelectrician.com/E...License.htm#Fl

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...formation.html

Welcome to the forum...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HARRY304E; 04-20-2011 at 02:40 PM.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, I'm really looking for a good way to prepare myself for when I move to Florida. The hardest part for me is that I don't have a car (live in Manhattan) and the training centers are nowhere near any trains. I'm also concerned with the somewhat nepotistic nature of unions in NYC (am I wrong about this?), and that I could spend the next two years applying with no real chance of acceptance. What would I need to do to begin a non union apprenticeship?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'm really looking for a good way to prepare myself for when I move to Florida. The hardest part for me is that I don't have a car (live in Manhattan) and the training centers are nowhere near any trains. I'm also concerned with the somewhat nepotistic nature of unions in NYC (am I wrong about this?), and that I could spend the next two years applying with no real chance of acceptance. What would I need to do to begin a non union apprenticeship?
Quote:
I'm also concerned with the somewhat nepotistic nature of unions in NYC (am I wrong about this?),
Not at all it is just like that in Boston as well..

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

The car thing is going to be a problem. It's really only a couple major metropolitan cities in the US where you can get away with not having a car. If you move to the other 99.99% of the country, you're going to need wheels.

You're probably putting the cart before the horse, and counting your chickens before they hatch, all at the same time. You don't even have a union apprenticeship yet, so I'm puzzled why you care if you can transfer to FL? I guess you like to plan ahead. I suppose that's good. Ignore me.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #6

I just know that I'm going to end up in Florida, and that if I can't get an apprenticeship in NYC to get me some hours / experience before moving I would have plenty of time to do so in FL. I definitely tend to over plan my life, but I figure it's better to be educated and not step into a situation blind.

The issue with the car may hamstring me until I move. I don't think I can afford to have a car in the city, but I will be getting one once we move to Florida.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Quote:
The issue with the car may hamstring me until I move. I don't think I can afford to have a car in the city, but I will be getting one once we move to Florida.
Yeah, that should definitely be on the list of things to do as soon as you move. I know that living in a big city, people often have to choose between parking fees for a car or eating. Eating seems to win. A friend of mine from Boston, who lives in a condo type building, recently had to clear out a storage unit he had rented for decades. The storage rent was killing him.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote