The Good Old Days - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By pete87
  • 1 Post By gnuuser
  • 1 Post By pete87
  • 2 Post By don_resqcapt19
  • 1 Post By ancientchristian
  • 1 Post By joebanana

Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 46
Default The Good Old Days

A question for anyone with 20 years in the local or more. Have you noticed a change in union culture? My uncle passed away 3 years ago. Local 3 and dedicated. He would talk about the brotherhood of the union and how great it was. All he knew was the union and electrical work. Have you noticed a change over the years. The union he bragged about is not the one I see today. NECA has the upper-hand (it seems ) and back biting and two faced behavior seems prevalent. I am proud to be union and will never turn my back on my stand up brothers. Have things changed that much over the years? I'd ask my uncle but unfortunately, we never got to have that talk.
ohmed out is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

Not one response... Guess that answers my question. Stay safe and employed.

Respectfully.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmed out View Post
A question for anyone with 20 years in the local or more. Have you noticed a change in union culture? My uncle passed away 3 years ago. Local 3 and dedicated. He would talk about the brotherhood of the union and how great it was. All he knew was the union and electrical work. Have you noticed a change over the years. The union he bragged about is not the one I see today. NECA has the upper-hand (it seems ) and back biting and two faced behavior seems prevalent. I am proud to be union and will never turn my back on my stand up brothers. Have things changed that much over the years? I'd ask my uncle but unfortunately, we never got to have that talk.

The Last Real Men were born in the 50's .

Pete
pete87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pete87 For This Useful Post:
macmikeman (01-31-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,528

its worse when the unions elect those who suddenly become company men after they are elected, and the union employee gets thrown under the bus too much!
i am in a union and im seeing this happen from time to time.

but its a little known fact that your union can be sued for failure to represent a dues paying member in good standing.
a drastic but sometimes necessary action to have to take.

this is something they don't want you to know.
and by the way the whistleblowers laws protect you from union retaliation as well
believe me they do not want the negative attention foisted on them
ohmed out likes this.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gnuuser For This Useful Post:
ohmed out (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

I'll have to refer again to my bylaws and constitution. From one brother to another...thanks gnuuser. Not blowing any whistles...just wondering why we dont sound the call for IBEW to stick together.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,702

Quote:
I'll have to refer again to my bylaws and constitution. From one brother to another...thanks gnuuser. Not blowing any whistles...just wondering why we dont sound the call for IBEW to stick together.

I always thought that they kept a Good supply of Competent Union Electricians

for anything important and dangerous ... Critical Infrastructure and such ...

We did the Big Jobs and Non Union could not man up .

One thing to notice is there is a Lot of Built Buildings ...

I always liked the road part of it ...

Construction is a Travel Job ... a family man should weigh his options .

Pete
ohmed out likes this.
pete87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,234

Quote:
...how does NECA have the upper hand, and are you a JW?
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,224

While most members don't really believe it, many contracts favor the contractor in the contract language. The real problem comes up when the member only wants to enforce the parts of the contract that are favorable to him or her, of course it works the other way around too...some contractors only want to comply with the language that is favorable to them.
Charlie K and ohmed out like this.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #9

I've got 29 years in the trade. Things have changed a lot. There is definitely less work out there now and not just in the construction field. Employers have the upper hand and anyone who has a good job will throw you under the bus to keep it. When you go to work bring your "A" game.
ohmed out likes this.
ancientchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ancientchristian For This Useful Post:
ohmed out (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
Junior Mints

Rewards Points: 85

These are the good old days!
PipeMonkey134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,073

My states unions banded together to lobby the state to require "certification", they thought it would increase "market share". Wrong. Only union members have to be certified, non-union shops are business as usual, because the DIR doesn't/wont enforce certification. I recently contacted a former non-union co-worker, and he's working prevailing wage jobs, no cert required. So much for market share.
John Valdes likes this.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #12

2nd year apprentice. Have you ever been injured on the job? I was and my contractor screwed me royally. My hall and training center did nothing to help me out. I've seen a lot of instances where Top rank Union men screw those of us in the field just to keep the contractor happy. Still employed by the same contractor btw.

Last edited by ohmed out; 01-30-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add more
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,274

Quote:
2nd year apprentice. Have you ever been injured on the job? I was and my contractor screwed me royally. My hall and training center did nothing to help me out. I've seen a lot of instances where Top rank Union men screw those of us in the field just to keep the contractor happy. Still employed by the same contractor btw.
If you get hurt on the job it is between you and the employers workers comp insurance company. Why would the hall have anything to do about it?

The contractor buys insurance for this reason, and is usually under no other obligation. Any lost time is paid for by the insurance company from the start of the injury. So when you get hurt, you are off the clock.

If you think of the hall as a place to find employment, and not a place to file grievance you might be better off.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,592

I have been in ten years and it has gone down hill but some of it is out of the business managers hands.

Although I think a lot could be accomplished by making examples of the contractors golden boys who do not follow the local's agreement.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
its worse when the unions elect those who suddenly become company men after they are elected, and the union employee gets thrown under the bus too much!
i am in a union and im seeing this happen from time to time.
I can remember the time we as a majority upset the shop steward (union rep) and elected another after the steward wrote his resignation during this very meeting.
The next day as I'm walking into the shop, I see this new guy/rep we just elected in the office and the superintendent had his arm around our new leader.
I knew right then we made a mistake. Big mistake.

We ended up backing the old steward. He actually was the best choice even though he was an asshole.
He had balls is what I mean.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 84

The "old days" got our local almost run out of town. Back in the 70s there were strikes which was fine and well but the strikers in the ship channel broke down their fences and hotwired some dozers and wrecked a lot of property. We lost almost all contracts in that industrial belt (the entire houston ship channel) and ultimately dropped below 10% market share. Only just this past year have we been able to sit down with companies from the ship channel again and get new contracts out there.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Jarp Habib is offline   Reply With Quote