For the new apprentice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default For the new apprentice

I am a fifth year apprentice and there are some things I have noticed that chap my ass from time to time. First, if you were a ***** and have soft hands coming in, then force your self to be a little bit more hardcore. ALWAYS anticipate what your journeyman is going to need to complete the job. ALWAYS make sure you have enough materials. ALWAYS anticipate the next move. When I first started bending conduit I used to dream about it at night. I used to vizualize my kicks and offsets. Always be THINKING. LEARN your circuitry! Always remember you need a ground with every pull. GOD I dont know how many times I've pulled a homerun for a half an hour and there is no green wire that pops out! First and foremost dont be a *****! You need to check and double check everything! You are in the highest skilled trade there is, and you need to be the best you can be! If You dont know ASK! This isnt some job where you can wing it and hope things are right. I have not met a Journeyman yet that has ridiculed me for asking.
Chief_Triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chief_Triangle For This Useful Post:
BONE SAWW!! 48 (03-22-2011), Frank Mc (03-22-2011), Hire me please (03-21-2011), yuning521 (04-04-2011)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Triangle View Post
Always remember you need a ground with every pull. GOD I dont know how many times I've pulled a homerun for a half an hour and there is no green wire that pops out!
You never use the conduit as a ground?
chris856 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris856 For This Useful Post:
GDK 13 (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
IBEW 332

Rewards Points: 150

We don't, 99% of our jobs are spec'd that way. I'm so use to it that I question it when I don't see a green wire.
RUSSIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,712

Quote:
! Always remember you need a ground with every pull. GOD I dont know how many times I've pulled a homerun for a half an hour and there is no green wire that pops out! .
Not necessarily true, while it may be a local code or a spec. But NEC does not require this.

While an excellent post I might add, DO NOT make blanket statements regarding the NATIONAL Electrical Code, unless you are sure what you are posting.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Another stupid post by stupid jza..
I thought it was kinda funny
Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
I thought it was kinda funny
Maybe so but he never has anything good to say either..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Journeyman Wireman

First you got to get the work,

then you got to work the work,
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro71 View Post
This is a job. Treat it like one.
How can you say this is "just a job". do you have no pride in your field of expertise? Its apprentices/journeymen like you that defame the level of intelligence that is required by us to perform our job safely and to completion. Just a job my ass dude. Great original post btw. And i get what you mean about the green wire. Most of our government jobs are spec'ed with green wire too. But don't assume that the spec is carried over. Peace all.
TobaSpark2085 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TobaSpark2085 For This Useful Post:
unionwirewoman (04-09-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #9

Quote:
I am a fifth year apprentice and there are some things I have noticed that chap my ass from time to time. First, if you were a ***** and have soft hands coming in, then force your self to be a little bit more hardcore.
What's a fifth year apprentice? Never heard of that before.

Maybe soft hands is a guy who knows how to use his tools instead of constantly trying to be hardcore.

Quote:
ALWAYS anticipate what your journeyman is going to need to complete the job. ALWAYS make sure you have enough materials. ALWAYS anticipate the next move.
So what's the journeyman for anyway? Plus, journeymen are so fussy, the most an apprentice should do is carry the supplies from point A to point B. And the journeyman's tools and ladder.

And fetch.

Quote:
When I first started bending conduit I used to dream about it at night. I used to vizualize my kicks and offsets.
If you're taking your work home with you, you're dead by heart attack at 58. Let me tell you, try not to take stress home.

Quote:
Always be THINKING. LEARN your circuitry! Always remember you need a ground with every pull. GOD I dont know how many times I've pulled a homerun for a half an hour and there is no green wire that pops out!
Around here, the journeyman does the planning, not the apprentice. It's nice to double-check the journeyman's work, but planning is journeyman work.

I'm asking the journeyman how many sets, which go where, and what size of pipe. If I miss a set, I can point to what a journeyman wrote down, instead of having a journeyman flipping out at me for guessing the number of circuits we need.

Quote:
First and foremost dont be a *****! You need to check and double check everything!
Jump right into that live panel, apprentice! Go down that hole!! H2S never hurt anyone! hahahaha. I don't double-check everything, I test everything.

Quote:
You are in the highest skilled trade there is, and you need to be the best you can be!
Not too many electricians are good at anything but mounting panels and pulling wire. No trade is really good at any other trade, but I have to say, electricians are some of the worst when it comes to say, having to work with wood, or metal. But most people can pull wire with 5 minutes of instruction.

Quote:
If You dont know ASK! This isnt some job where you can wing it and hope things are right. I have not met a Journeyman yet that has ridiculed me for asking.
Sometimes they say "don't ask, do". Or the classic, "how deep do I dig this trench?" to which a good answer is "deep".
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote