Union Topics on ElectricianTalk.com - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
Default Union Topics on ElectricianTalk.com

Hey Guys,

I want to make a quick post and address a few issues that have popped up on Electrician Talk recently. Specifically on the topic of Unions.

This site is dedicated to professional electricians and ALL those who work in the electrical industry. That's the topic. We ARE NOT a Union site. We do have a sub forum topic on Unions because it is relevant to a lot of electricians and we feel it's an important topic to cover. We want you to be able to come here and talk about unions issues if that's something that effects you. But attacking people who aren't in Unions or having a US vs. THEM attitude will not be allowed on this site.

Please take a moment and read through our Posting Rules and think this through. Are you willing to follow those basic rules of respecting other people and exchanging information with both union and non union electricians? If so then we are glad your here. If not then this probably isn't the site for you.

One last note: I think we've proven by having a union topic that we are very open to union members being here so this is not an anti-union post. We just want everyone to respect each other.

Thanks!
John R likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Where The Trades Meet!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Grand Commander (06-29-2015), MattMc (10-09-2012), wildleg (03-30-2010), wwilson174 (10-02-2012)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the post Nathan.

I agree that we should all respect each other.

We are all just electricians trying to earn a living.

I'm a proud IBEW Local 58 member out of Detroit.

Anyone from Detroit knows that is quite a thing to say. Even those from other parts of the country know that the domestic auto industry is dying in Detroit.

I haven't worked in my own jurisdiction for quite some time. I'm a tramp by choice. I get treated better on the road than in my own local during these tough times.

We have over 1600 on the out of work list at this time. Mostly due to the state of the auto industry and the economy.

However the great thing about being an IBEW Electrician, is that even though there hasn't been much work in my own local for more years than I care to admit.

I can travel the country and just sign the book, wait my turn, and make the prevailing wage and benefit package wherever I go. At the same time earning benefits like I have worked for the same contractor for the 21 years I have been in the IBEW!

No interviews, resumes, phone calls, or BS!

Not to mention wherever I go in this great country of ours, many brothers in the same situation as myself are more than willing to help me out, and I help them out. Bottom line is that if your a brother your never alone.

That is just a small slice of the brotherhood.

Last edited by MichiganElectrician; 12-13-2008 at 11:18 PM.
MichiganElectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MichiganElectrician For This Useful Post:
cal1947 (08-10-2012), IBEWDave (10-12-2015), tduncanlu1077 (01-29-2011), wwilson174 (10-02-2012)
Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #3

Default Merry Christmas to All

Just wanted to wish a Merry Christmas to all the Electricians out there.

Although we may disagree on the subject of the IBEW, I wish you all the best in everything that life has to offer.

Best wishes to you and your families for a more prosperous New Year.

Also please remember that there is always more power in the group than the individual.
MichiganElectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

The Dawn. Sec. 297

Last edited by luby104; 04-20-2009 at 12:57 PM.
luby104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #5

I just joined this site.

I was brought up in the trade through the Union, and have worked with men who came up through the non-union shops....some were good hands, some weren't. I think you will find that ANYWHERE.

If I can help answer any questions, pls let me know. I would also love to learn some new tricks/tips from any man not afraid to carry tools!

Been away from the tools for 6.5 years now, as I went back in the service. Will retire in 6 years, and then would like to go back tot he tools. Of course I'll be close to 50, so it will be hard to hold a job, but I'll give it a shot.

~joe
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #6

Local 58 Bro.
I can't beiieve you NEVER, EVER don't BS SOMEBODY!!!
I have been known to do a bit of throwing the BULL at times, so I find it hard to believe you don't OCCASIONALLY!!!
Any contractor I have ever worked for knows I do bit of stretching the trooooooth!!!, but I get the work done.
Lucky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,198
Default Union topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Hey Guys,

I want to make a quick post and address a few issues that have popped up on Electrician Talk recently. Specifically on the topic of Unions.

This site is dedicated to professional electricians and ALL those who work in the electrical industry. That's the topic. We ARE NOT a Union site. We do have a sub forum topic on Unions because it is relevant to a lot of electricians and we feel it's an important topic to cover. We want you to be able to come here and talk about unions issues if that's something that effects you. But attacking people who aren't in Unions or having a US vs. THEM attitude will not be allowed on this site.

Please take a moment and read through our Posting Rules and think this through. Are you willing to follow those basic rules of respecting other people and exchanging information with both union and non union electricians? If so then we are glad your here. If not then this probably isn't the site for you.

One last note: I think we've proven by having a union topic that we are very open to union members being here so this is not an anti-union post. We just want everyone to respect each other.

Thanks!
I agree with you ; If everyone who is working with a union is happy with that,and everyone who is not working with a union is happy with that,then the only other thing to discuss would be work related issues. There is no basis for mud slinging.

Riveter (UNION) and happy with that
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #8

Nathan I can understand your concerns on your site but upon reading some old post(side jobs) it is an all out attack on union members and a lack of posting ethics(some by your long time members) It is your site but like anything if there are 2 sets of rules for those or them, then you yourself might be the cause of some of the animosity. We are all in the electrical field and we should all work towards a goal of peace for all.
Brother Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
You want a warranty?

Do people bother reading the original l post date?
GoodLookingUglyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganElectrician View Post
Just wanted to wish a Merry Christmas to all the Electricians out there.

Although we may disagree on the subject of the IBEW, I wish you all the best in everything that life has to offer.

Best wishes to you and your families for a more prosperous New Year.

Also please remember that there is always more power in the group than the individual.
Merry Xmas, Duuuude !

party on !
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Noah View Post
Nathan I can understand your concerns on your site but upon reading some old post(side jobs) it is an all out attack on union members and a lack of posting ethics(some by your long time members) It is your site but like anything if there are 2 sets of rules for those or them, then you yourself might be the cause of some of the animosity. We are all in the electrical field and we should all work towards a goal of peace for all.
I seem to be reading the same thing here now. Is it just me, or is open bashing of unions allowed here?
big2bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

If you think what you read is bad, you should see what we delete!
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #13

Why all the animosity? If a guy is "happy and thrilled" to be non union, why the need to stomp on someone whom has chosen a different path?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,028

I haven't seen a post by Nathan in , well, years. Lol
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

This place would be boring without the constant RAT vs Brother Noah debates we manage to stir up out of thin air...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
This place would be boring without the constant RAT vs Brother Noah debates we manage to stir up out of thin air...
I have no issue with that as long as it's civil and it stays real. I have non union friends, and we respect each others right to work, live, and co exist. I can openly discuss both the pros and cons of each.
However, just bashing "because" for no real reason is going to wear me thin very quickly.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Why all the animosity? If a guy is "happy and thrilled" to be non union, why the need to stomp on someone whom has chosen a different path?
Union takes a bit of a bashing here but on the streets (based strictly on my experience) the unions have IN THE PAST beat down verbally open shop workers, picketed jobs and generally been a PIA.

Most of what (NOT ALL) of what is posted here that union members, call bashing often is the truth and the union members can handle it and seriously sound like cry babies.

Last edited by brian john; 10-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brian john For This Useful Post:
BBQ (10-02-2012), Going_Commando (10-03-2012), wendon (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #18

Wow. Picketed jobs? Maybe we should abolish the first ammendment so we won't annoy you?

I see you are a moderator. I sense this "may" not be a fair fight/discussion.

Last edited by big2bird; 10-01-2012 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to big2bird For This Useful Post:
wwilson174 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 698

Thanks
Attached Images

“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”THE NUCLEAR ELECTRICIAN
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #20
Member IBEW LU #164

Rewards Points: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Wow. Picketed jobs? Maybe we should abolish the first ammendment so we won't annoy you?

I see you are a moderator. I sense this "may" not be a fair fight/discussion.
Actually I never noticed Brian John was a mod, and I have had a few discussions with him so keep it civil and I suspect he will be fair.

As fair as a shake and bake can be, but I am working on him.
eejack is offline   Reply With Quote