Electrician Talk banner

What makes a good Union Stewart...Good?

15K views 77 replies 23 participants last post by  brian john 
#1 ·
I have my opinion, as most people know. It is ,however, important, to decide for one's self. What kind of CHARACTER would you have as your leader?

#3 ·
1. A good steward is one that solves problems without causing problems
I get so sick of the a****** that wonders around jobs trying to get the men worked up because the craper is a couple hours late getting cleaned or Joe got 2 more hours overtime then Bob. the one that really sticks in my craw is when they partner you up with the stewart and he is always on "business for the good of the union"
2.A good Steward stop rumors with facts doesn't feed the fire with bulls***
3.A good steward represents the union and the men in a possitive proffesional manner and dosens't hide behind the office.

crap there I go again soap box sorry :rolleyes:

#10 ·
Good UNION STEWARD

If you were here you might think differently. I judge people by the responsibility that they take for themselves, and their families. Are you responsible? You are probably a good guy but I wonder why you did not vote yesterday...is that not a responsibility?

#20 ·
Good union steward

EDM, I don't know if you are aware of it , or not, but sometimes a THREAD can become boring if it is hijacked by a couple of guys needling each other. I don't want this thread to be taken over by someone who is always just trying to get his point across.It is not good for the forum, or for the electrical industry, as well. So for the good of the forum I am asking you to get off.

#21 ·
EDM, I don't know if you are aware of it , or not, but sometimes a THREAD can become boring if is it is hijacked by a couple of guys needling each other. I don't want this thread to be taken over by someone who is always just trying to get his point across.It is not good for the forum, or for the electrical industry, as well. So for the good of the forum I am asking you to get off.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
:laughing:

I'll be here EVERY step of the way, Buddy!

#47 ·
I am not in all of this mess, but I work for a natural gas company that is part of the IBEW, or at least our Union is. I live in Sc which is a right to work state. I do not pay dues, but I am a union worker. I have been ridiculed in the past for not paying. I just feel that out Stewards aren't strong enough. I have a feeling that our Union will be dissolved within the next 6 years. That's when our contract ends. it seems that we have a ton of hard talk, and then when the negotiations end we get nothing we asked for. Or they take something to give us something. Sounds stupid to me. Everyone is pissed, but does nothing.

#51 ·
Your union but you don't pay due's. How do you expect the union to function.
Negotiations are give and take. You don't like what's going on, get involved.
You say no one is doing anything, what are you doing ? (besides getting free representation).
I hope you know how to gape. Or know a girl who can teach you how.

You'll need to know how to do it once your free representation ends.

#71 ·
brian john;796285]Luckily in 34 years I have only had to deal with one shop steward
How is this even possible?

and he was a DI*K,
Well, there's two sides to every story.

about all he did was give the men that came in the back door a hard time.
This sentence sounds a little homophobic to me.
All joking aside, what's this "backdoor" you're talking about?

But nobody would tell me who to work or not work that is decided by my superintendents and skill levels.
Obviously, you haven't done much construction. Stewards are second to last layoff in my neck of the woods. I sure hope it's similar in D.C.

Not trying to start anotehr row, but some pinhead that does not have the best interest of the company trying to share in the dealings where he is not wanted. BYE, BYE.
Yeah Brian, good luck with THAT. :thumbsup:

#72 ·
How is this even possible?

Well, there's two sides to every story.

This sentence sounds a little homophobic to me.
All joking aside, what's this "backdoor" you're talking about?

Obviously, you haven't done much construction. Stewards are second to last layoff in my neck of the woods. I sure hope it's similar in D.C.

Yeah Brian, good luck with THAT. :thumbsup:
I have worked the biggest construction jobs in DC and at one time some of the biggest in America.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.