What to wear for oral interview - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 4 Post By CoolWill

Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

Default What to wear for oral interview

Hey guys just got my letter for my oral interview was just wondering how to dress. Should i go all out and wear a tie or keep it casual. Any help would be appreciated. Also what kind of questions should i expect and should i bring a copy of my resume and letters of recommendations?
Mjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,724

No jeans clean work wear with no stains or tears. Your not interviewing for an office job.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #3
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,143

I think a shirt and tie is appropriate. There is nothing wrong with looking professional and like you actually put a little more into this interview than wearing what you normally would.

We're not talking a 3 piece suit, just a shirt and tie like I had to wear when I stocked shelves in a grocery store when I was a kid.

Bringing your resume, letters of recommendation, and anything else that you may think could be useful will not hurt. Put them into a portfolio and if given the chance to mention them, you can motion towards the portfolio to show that you have them available. Again, anything that shows you being more professional or prepared will help.

As for the questions, that is anyones guess. There is probably a pool of different questions asked at each different local. Just be smart about it. The 2 focuses are productivity and union support.
Signal1 and VELOCI3 like this.
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,017

A tie? You gotta be kidding me.

Think about what the interviewer is wearing and mimic that. Chances are it’s jeans, sneakers and a golf shirt.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #5
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Yes, a tie. Is that really so extreme for you to understand?

Quote:
Think about what the interviewer is wearing and mimic that. Chances are it’s jeans, sneakers and a golf shirt.
They already have the job, they don't have to impress anyone. But since you asked, the business agents all wear ties in my local and during interviews many people on the committee wear ties as normal business attire.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Yes, a tie. Is that really so extreme for you to understand?

They already have the job, they don't have to impress anyone. But since you asked, the business agents all wear ties in my local and during interviews many people on the committee wear ties as normal business attire.
Obviously different where you come from. I’m in a blue collar town. Only corrupt politicians wear ties.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #7
Mensa Player

Quote:
Obviously different where you come from. I’m in a blue collar town. Only corrupt politicians wear ties.
I’m of the opinion that getting into a good IBEW local is like winning the lottery. You want to do everything you can to get a step up on your competition. Wearing a shirt and tie can’t hurt you in anyway. A shirt, tie, and pair of slacks can be had for $100. There’s no reason not to.

Even in your so-called blue-collar town, are you saying that an applicant going into an interview that will change his entire life wearing a clean and ironed shirt and tie would be detrimental to his chances?
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,130

Did you watch the movie 21?

What are you going to do or say that's going to make you stand out from everyone else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 962

Quote:

Half the interviewers are Buisiness owners. I can’t remember if you have to be a NECA member to sit on the apprentice board, or if that’s only for trustees. So they won’t be in jeans an sneakers. The apprenticeship director is a full time office position, so he’s going to be Buisiness casual at the least. The remaining few electricians would probably be dressed to match.

I would dress Buisiness casual at the least. A tie wouldn’t hurt.

As far as the questions, I have no idea.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,588

I'd say business casual is safe.

In most cases, wearing a tie and being slightly overdressed won't hurt and it might help. It shows you made a bit of an extra effort to look professional. You might get razzed a bit but it's a token of respect and that's not a bad thing.

I could think of a few cases where it might slightly work against you. There's a poster here that's making the transition from CPA to apprenticeship, might make it harder to see him muddy to his armpits in a trench. If I was from New York trying to get into a Houston Texas local, it would probably be better to leave the tie home.

If you just want to make sure they don't forget you, don't stop with the tie, go all in.
Attached Images

MikeFL likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,924

Knee pads.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 910

Just look clean and neat....you are interviewing for a job where you are representing someone's company.

do a golf shirt or button down shirt with a collar.....clean and neat pants....belt and clean shoes/sneakers.....

no ripped clothes....
no baggy jeans....
no skin tight jeans....
no underwear hanging out...

if you got metal **** in your face, nose, ear or anywhere else that is seen ....take them out.

If you have offensive tattoo's cover them.

its a tradesman job, not a office job so i don't think a shirt and tie is necessary but it won't hurt either.
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
Knee pads.
Naked with knees pads moves one up to front of the line I am told?
Old Today, 01:51 PM   #14
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
You don't have to be naked, but a bib is advisable.
Old Today, 07:38 PM   #15
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Pics or it's not true!

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:43 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 4

A letter of recom is not necessary. My tip for your resume makes it colored maybe just pick at least 3 colors. What I did before is I don't wear black. I wear something colorful like yellow so the hr would remember me.
cloudy33 is online now   Reply With Quote