ALB VFD's and a 20-COMM module - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JRaef
  • 1 Post By JRaef

Old 07-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,800
Default ALB VFD's and a 20-COMM module

Currently there's a site I work on that has 6 Powerflex 700's using a 20-COMM-R module to communicate with PLC 5 via a data highway. My concern is that the 700's are older and when they need to be replaced, they are going to a Powerflex 753. Will this control still work with the 753 or are extensive PLC programming changes needed to made with the data transfer compatible? This is a "one of" site, and I'm thinking that changing it so that the drives use traditional AI/AO and DI/DO to the PLC would be a good proactive move, instead finding it out the day a drive fails. These modules have been giving us grief for the 11 years I've been working on this site, and it baffles me why they kept it this way for so long..

As I googled ALB literature, I see the 20-COMM-R modules are discontinued, so I maybe able to foresee my answer..

Last edited by glen1971; 07-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,106

Yes, the 20-COMM-R modules are no longer available and no replacement is forthcoming. Not enough users to warrant a redesign, considering that the PLC5s are now obsolete too. You might want to start thinking about upgrading the entire system to Logix and Ethernet I/P.

There is gateway a solution available through Prosoft however for the 20-COMM-R situation, part # AN-X2-AB-DHRIO that allows Ethernet I/P to RIO communications.

As to changing to PowerFlex 750s, Rockwell has a Service Group that will help you with the programming changeover, they do it a lot and are very efficient about it.
pudge565 and glen1971 like this.

Last edited by JRaef; 07-11-2019 at 03:18 PM.
JRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #3

Thanks JRaef! I kinda figured that was the boat I was in..

Have you had much to do with the Prosoft adapters? Do they need much in the way of PLC programming, or is it pretty minor? I am guessing that is more of a band-aid fix any way to allow a smaller transition to new drives and new controls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Thanks JRaef! I kinda figured that was the boat I was in..

Have you had much to do with the Prosoft adapters? Do they need much in the way of PLC programming, or is it pretty minor? I am guessing that is more of a band-aid fix any way to allow a smaller transition to new drives and new controls?
I personally haven't needed to actually do it, I only know about it because someone else was having trouble finding the 20-COMM-R last year and I found that information on the Rockwell Knowledgebase.

If you know how to use the Knowledgebase, it's article #817042

If you have never used it, I suggest signing up, it has a ton of useful information. You have to register with a valid email, mostly to make sure competitors don't use it, but it's free and they don't sell your email address or anything.
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/
glen1971 likes this.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,230

Are the drives doing anything complicated or simply on/off with a speed reference. Also do you have spare inputs and outputs at the rack.

As a work around we have programmed basic I/O points that can be used in a emergency. When a drive or card fails we add a jumper to a input point that forces the program to look at the I/O rather than the com card. Its still a patch until you upgrade but it saves having a programmer called out during the night.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
Are the drives doing anything complicated or simply on/off with a speed reference. Also do you have spare inputs and outputs at the rack.

As a work around we have programmed basic I/O points that can be used in a emergency. When a drive or card fails we add a jumper to a input point that forces the program to look at the I/O rather than the com card. Its still a patch until you upgrade but it saves having a programmer called out during the night.
They are on 6 fans on a gas compressor. There are enough spare I/O points to do it the same as the rest of the drives are..

If I remember right every 2 fans are on a separate Rack in the PLC logic. It's up to those now that control the money to determine if they want to be proactive with it, run some new wiring, and do the PLC changes, or if they want to wait until it fails and leave everything down for a week to get it done.