Labeling wires in control cabinets - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By Jlarson
  • 2 Post By joe-nwt
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By GatorIE
  • 2 Post By just the cowboy
  • 2 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By glen1971

Old 06-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 629
Default Labeling wires in control cabinets

Just curious as to what you guys do to label wires in a control cabinet. I have been using my label maker with the heat shrink labels and the labels get eaten up pretty fast. I wouldn't mind so much but half of the label roll gets wasted when using the heat shrink tubing (bother p-touch). I was looking into getting some of the clip on numbers to help speed things up. I haven't found a good source for ones that would work on a wide range of sizes and they get kind of pricey for labels. Most of the control wiring is 14ga or 12ga MTW and 20ga MTW for the low voltage.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #2
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,414

I have a Dymo 5000 that uses the 1/4 - 3/4 heat shrink tubes. It'll go through a cartridge pretty fast it you print each label individually but if you print a bunch of them together leaving a space between each one, you'll get a lot more per cartridge.

I use scissors to cut between the spaces, it takes a bit more time but I think it's worth it.

Here's an example......

P103 START DI17 | P104 START DI18 | P105 START DI19

P103 START DI17|P104 START DI18|P105 START DI18

Then top line is individual, the | is where the built-in cutter cuts. The | on the lower line is where you cut with scissors. You can see how much heat shrink it saves.
MotoGP1199 likes this.

Last edited by micromind; 06-30-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: The top line has more spaces in it but I cannot convince the computer to do as I say, it won't allow more than one s
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:44 AM   #3

Thanks, I was actually just thinking about using the terminal block feature on my printer so it will put a line where I want to cut it with scissors. Or I will put a few spaces. I burned up a complete cartridge real fast letting it cut each label for me and then I had to trim each one because they were too long. The cartridge on the p touch is like 4.9' for the heat tubing vs 25' for standard labels.

OK well its time to order some more labels. I ordered too many of the small labels (I can't use) because they said they were 1/4" width and didn't realize that wasn't ID or OD. I only had 2 cartridges of the 8.8mm(3/8) width that works well for #14 & #12. Used them on small projects, and thought I had more tubing than I did.
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 02:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,296

I too have gotten in the habit of running off long strips of label and cutting them up.
99cents likes this.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,588

I use a K-Sun machine. You can get 1/8 tubing for small wires. You can print more than one line on a single shrink. doing this, you can print the destination on one line and the origin on a line directly below it. Essentially doubles your shrink capacity. On larger shrink you can do more lines one above the other.

The K-Sun has a symbol library that comes in handy as well.

No, seriously!
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGP1199 View Post
Just curious as to what you guys do to label wires in a control cabinet. I have been using my label maker with the heat shrink labels and the labels get eaten up pretty fast. I wouldn't mind so much but half of the label roll gets wasted when using the heat shrink tubing (bother p-touch). I was looking into getting some of the clip on numbers to help speed things up. I haven't found a good source for ones that would work on a wide range of sizes and they get kind of pricey for labels. Most of the control wiring is 14ga or 12ga MTW and 20ga MTW for the low voltage.
I've heard there are some hacks (workarounds) available online for some of that malicious company's products to make it stop wasting the tape. That is 100% by design just like the printers which count the sheets and won't work after n number of sheets to force you to buy new toner even though the canister is still half full.

One by one I eliminate companies I'll never do business with again. Top of the list is Xerox. Don't ever buy any of their products.

Since you brought it up I think I'll try it on mine today.

If you post your model number maybe someone will find the process and post it for everyone.
MotoGP1199 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,752

I use the Brady BMP51. I use it fairly often with the heatshrink, but the labels are sized on the roll so I don't find there is much waste unless I don't print the entire label.

There is a wide range of label types for this model, but like anything else, once you buy into the brand you are stuck with it; although I don't have any complaints about this unit. I have had if for about 5 or so years... no issues with performance or getting media stock for it.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Plumber (for electrons)

Rewards Points: 72

I think the main distinction lies in your use case--If you're building a lot of new panels or putting on a significant number of labels, a full-size printer is much more economical in the long run. We use the Canon/Nisca Cable ID printers which are capable of printing on loose tube (sized per wire size to fit snugly over the insulation), heat-shrink tube, adhesive labels, terminal strip markers, and a few other media. They run around $800 for the printer but the ribbon cartridges and media are incredibly economical and last forever in the quantities they are available. Here's a link to the product page: https://ftn.canon/en/product/cable-idprinter/. The Mk2600 is definitely worth the price over its Mk1500 counterpart if you do have any interest in going this route.
splatz likes this.
GatorIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,162

dymo or brady BMP21, both allow you to make labels for individual cables
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
I use a K-Sun machine. You can get 1/8 tubing for small wires. You can print more than one line on a single shrink. doing this, you can print the destination on one line and the origin on a line directly below it. Essentially doubles your shrink capacity. On larger shrink you can do more lines one above the other.

The K-Sun has a symbol library that comes in handy as well.
I use this the one. I went backwards from what you are doing. I started cutting my own, but found my time was more valuable than the wasted label cutoff. Also I think it is nicer job when they are all same size. Yes it wastes label tape but price it in and it is a better job.
gpop and joe-nwt like this.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
I've heard there are some hacks (workarounds) available online for some of that malicious company's products to make it stop wasting the tape. That is 100% by design just like the printers which count the sheets and won't work after n number of sheets to force you to buy new toner even though the canister is still half full.

One by one I eliminate companies I'll never do business with again. Top of the list is Xerox. Don't ever buy any of their products.

Since you brought it up I think I'll try it on mine today.

If you post your model number maybe someone will find the process and post it for everyone.
Brother P-Touch-E550W

I was complaining about it to my wife saying it has to be on purpose. She just said I was crazy lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #12
Cow

Rewards Points: 5,228

We use a TLS2200.

Looking on Brady's site, it's discontinued. I did not know that, since we still get ribbon and labels for it.

Looks like they show a BMP61 as an alternative. Looks a lot more user friendly to if a person can load a list into it and have it print, rather than entering them all manually with the TLS2200, as I do now.

We buy the Brady 1000 count reel of heatshrinkable labels for our control cabinets.

I like them.

I can't stand those machines that waste tape, we used to have a portable Brother that did that.

https://d37iyw84027v1q.cloudfront.ne...ison_Guide.pdf
glen1971 and MotoGP1199 like this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4,120

Either a Brady TLS2200, or a third party to print them. Give them the list, quantity and size, and it saves me from typing 10,000 tags on site and they are ready for when we start terminating.
MotoGP1199 likes this.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote