Panel interior doesn't look very safe - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree15Likes
Unread 09-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,156
Default Panel interior doesn't look very safe

The plant manager opened this panel and asked if I thought the interior looked safe.

It seems to me that if the rotary shaft handle worked, that fuse block wouldnt be energized with the door opened.
The second thing that has me concerned is the 125 amp 200k fuses seem to be right out in the open without any kind of fingerguard.
The panel came with the screw conveyor and all of it is listed as an assembly.
I can replace the rotary disconnect shaft but, if it gets broken or destroyed again I think it will expose someone to that ugly fuse setup.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cover?
The manager also wants a phase loss monitor and a TVSS all stuffed in this cabinet.
Do you guys routinely modify these type panels and not have them field labeled?
I'm sure it all will be just fine until someone has an accident.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 518

Got a pic?
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,872

I wouldn't want my name on something like that. How much work & cost to rip it out and replace it with something more modern?
micromind likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,056

Picture link is broken.
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
86 45 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
Picture link is broken.
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,353

Try logging in as NewElec85 and posting the pic.
macmikeman, zac, MTW and 1 others like this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
Paste the image into your post. Some images won't paste.
Unread 09-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
86 45 20

Annnd,
It’s sideways.

Unread 09-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 518

Replacing like for like is one thing, I wouldn't be stuffing any new parts in there without a stamp.

It's amazing what approved shops can get away with, huh?
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,346

NewElect85 will fix it for you.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,032

How could you get in trouble swapping finger safe fuseholder for the ones that are there?

Diagnose them as near end of life and replace them with an equivalent that happens to be finger safe.
Unread 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

There is no requirement for the fuse holder to be “finger safe”, that’s an IEC thing. You can add it if you like, but it’s not a requirement here per the NEC, UL or NFPA 79 (the standard for “industrial machinery” control panels).

The disconnect must extent to and interlock with the door, so that you cannot open the door unless the disconnect is open (unless you purposely defeat the interlock with a tool). Also, if following NFPA 79, the disconnect must have a means of operating it when the door is open, without needing a tool so that if you DO open the door by defeating the interlock, you (the electrician) still have a means to quickly kill power without having to fumble for a wrench. Disconnect mfrs call these options an “NFPA79 handle”.

I see a contactor, but no overload relay? Is that beige box a VFD being fed by that contactor? If so, bad design, that VFD will die a premature death. But that aside, if that is a VFD, the phase monitor is pointless, the VFD will take care of that on its own. The Surge Protector might be a good idea though.
micromind and splatz like this.
Southeast Power (09-10-2019)
Unread 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,998

It is stupid that UL , CSA, etl,... doesnt require finger safe in control panels like that, we all know that it will be open without being shut-off for troubleshooting in the future and there a good chance it won't be by an electrician...
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,288

If you are worried throw a disco in front of it.
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
It is stupid that UL , CSA, etl,... doesnt require finger safe in control panels like that, we all know that it will be open without being shut-off for troubleshooting in the future and there a good chance it won't be by an electrician...
Yes, we know that's going to happen. But are finger safe fuse holders going to save that person? They are ALREADY demonstrating that safety is unimportant to them, there was this BIG STEEL DOOR protecting them from touching anything live, but they decided to defeat the protection. So after that, why are some piece of flimsy plastic going to stop him from sticking a tool where it shouldn't go? Interlock the door, then once someone decides to take their chances, its on them.

Somehow, some way, American industry managed to survive for almost 100 years using electricity before IEC stuff started making its way here, touting "finger safe" devices as if they were the only thing that could save the world from exposure to electrical equipment. I think that long ago, we all learned that "You can't fix stupid!"
micromind (09-09-2019)
Unread 09-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,032

I would go ahead and change the fuse block due to the rotary disconnect being just above it. I hate that design as the shaft can sometimes get pulled out and drop inside the panel.

With out seeing a complete picture its hard to tell if the vfd is the only item supplied by incoming power. It looks like a contractor is being used as a e-stop which is not the best option and the fuses are probably powering everything in the panel which means they are probably over sized for the drive.

This doesn't look like a new panel and it was probably built onsite so i would probably claim that it was being updated due to lack of original parts being available then go to town on it.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpop For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (09-10-2019)
Unread 09-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,368

I would change anything he was willing to pay for, but not a mm beyond that.
Southeast Power likes this.
Unread 09-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
There is no requirement for the fuse holder to be “finger safe”, that’s an IEC thing. You can add it if you like, but it’s not a requirement here per the NEC, UL or NFPA 79 (the standard for “industrial machinery” control panels).

The disconnect must extent to and interlock with the door, so that you cannot open the door unless the disconnect is open (unless you purposely defeat the interlock with a tool). Also, if following NFPA 79, the disconnect must have a means of operating it when the door is open, without needing a tool so that if you DO open the door by defeating the interlock, you (the electrician) still have a means to quickly kill power without having to fumble for a wrench. Disconnect mfrs call these options an “NFPA79 handle”.

I see a contactor, but no overload relay? Is that beige box a VFD being fed by that contactor? If so, bad design, that VFD will die a premature death. But that aside, if that is a VFD, the phase monitor is pointless, the VFD will take care of that on its own. The Surge Protector might be a good idea though.
It's an Automation Direct VFD? I've seen more than a few estop to a contactor for safety on GS drives. I guess that's what they recommend when you call and ask. could be worse I guess

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Peewee0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 7,051

The panel door is all the protection you need. If unqualified persons go poking around in there, maybe they won't do it again. Control cabinets always have exposed stuff, that's why it's in a cabinet. They were generous with space in there, so a TVSS, and PLM shouldn't be a problem. This is in a plant, right? With qualified maintenance personnel, right? Is their a planner, or engineer on site? If you're in question, push it uphill.
Flyingsod and gpop like this.
Unread 09-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #20
86 45 20

I did locate a 3 pole Class T fuse holder with a cover.
It appears they used either a 201 to 400 amp or 600amp fuse block in that panel during the OEM build. I have no clue as to the use of 125 amp fuses on a 60 amp incoming circuit. The new fuse blocks will be 200 amp rated and will fit those 125s they have.

They are insisting on a phase loss monitor. Allen Bradley has one for just about $125 including the relay base. Ill have it open that small contactor. Also, the 3 phase TVSS they need is close to a grand. That sucker is going to take up 3 precious spaces in their MDP.

They have been having some voltage sags. I installed a recorder on another disconnect feeding a 125 p compressor that was shutting down due to sag on one of the legs. I set it up to reference the neutral to try and capture it along with phase to phase amperage and voltage to see if the load had anything to do with the sag. It appears to be plant wide.

I seem to be wasting wayy too much time with these people. I am going to let them know I need a day in each panel and about $1,000