Phase error - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CdotJdot
  • 1 Post By JRaef

Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
Default Phase error

Good morning folks I am a maintenance electrician at an injection molding facility and we just installed a brand new injection molding press that use 750 volt dc servo motors to drive the hydraulic pumps these motors are controlled by B&R drives. The new machine has auxiliary 480 volt receptacles built in to run our mold temp controllers which are basically water pumps with heating elements and dump valves to control the water temp being pumped through the molds. Now on these temp controllers there is a phase monitoring system to insure the correct rotation of the motor and when we have them connected to the machines auxiliary outlets and the servo pumps are running we will get a phase error on the temp controller but if we plug the controllers into a power source not connected to the press everything is fine and dandy. Has anybody seen somthing like this before, or could anyone explain to me their theory, any feedback would be great thank you
CdotJdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #2

Forgot to add I've tried switching leads and still get phase error and all voltage readings and connections and rotations are good
Old 01-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

I there noise from the drives backfeeding the 480? Maybe the controllers are seeing that.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

That's all I could think of is there any way to eliminate that if that's the case
Old 01-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotJdot View Post
That's all I could think of is there any way to eliminate that if that's the case
Some type of filters or isolation trany. I'd put a scope on the controllers both ways to see if there is noise.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,842

Each servo motor should have an encoder or resolver attached to its shaft.
This is how the machine knows which direction these servo motors are turning.
Is it possible the encode signal is backwards? Reversed?
I mean this could be a polarity issue with one or more servo feedback devices?

I'm not exactly sure about your question. But can assure you a feedback device tells the drive in what direction the motors turn.
You may have to swap the feedback wires?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #7

Thank you for your reply John but I am not having trouble with the servo motors themselves I'm having trouble with the mold temp controllers which have a regular 480 volt 3 phase motor controlled by just a motor contactor, but when these mold temp controllers are plugged into the 480 volt auxiliary equipmemt receptacles on the press I get intermittent phase errors
John Valdes likes this.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

On the controllers
Old 01-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,842

Have you verified the phasing is the same from both sources?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,504

Did you check input rotation with a meter?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,100

Is this by chance a machine made overseas, and the 480V 60Hz aux power to the outlets on the machine is being created by an inverter because the machine was really designed for 380V 50Hz?

Because if so, that might explain why your external devices are indicating a phase error. They are looking for a standard sine wave power input, and you are giving them a PWM pseudo-sine wave from the inverter. When you connect them to your other "real" sources, they are seeing what they were designed to look for.
John Valdes likes this.
cdnelectrician (01-21-2016), CdotJdot (01-22-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Be sure you're getting all three phases at the 480 receptacles.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 30

Is the phase monitoring relay phasing incorrect? This would throw an error if everything else is ok... Or you could have a bad connection to the motor or the relay i'd check all these. Also id check all the fusing it could be as simple as bad fuse.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Chrismcd is offline   Reply With Quote