Press controls? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 87
Default Press controls?

Anyone know a good website on press controls?
Sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Too vague
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
Too vague
WOW! that was helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
Anyone know a good website on press controls?
Try this.

http://www.toledointegratedsystems.c...rols/index.php

http://www.ciecocontrols.com/second_level.cfm?att=1

http://www.niroinc.com/pharma_system...ol_systems.asp

http://www.dynasys.org/Printing_press.htm

http://www.presscontrols.co.uk/

Last edited by HARRY304E; 12-19-2011 at 09:30 AM.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
Sparkee (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

Sorry about being vague, I had to rush off to work. A client of mine has tasked us to rebuilt the electrical controls on some mechanical brake presses. As always OSHA is a good place to start but I was looking for a web site similar to this one but where the subject is presses and associated industrial controls. I have installed anti-tie down circuits, light curtains, safety guards along with trouble shooting presses but
I was just looking to talk to people in the same field.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,742

I have worked on many different types of presses- steel, cardboard, paper and printing.

What type machine are you dealing with? Is it cyclic or flywheel? Electric only, or electro hydraulic? Individual parts or continuos cycle? Control- manual/relay or PLC? Stand alone or network?

Be glad to help if I can, but i would need some details to be helpful.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post
I have worked on many different types of presses- steel, cardboard, paper and printing.

What type machine are you dealing with? Is it cyclic or flywheel? Electric only, or electro hydraulic? Individual parts or continuos cycle? Control- manual/relay or PLC? Stand alone or network?

Be glad to help if I can, but i would need some details to be helpful.
It's a Precision brand press, flywheel, electro-mechanical, continuous cycle. It appears to have been "worked on" several times so all the prints they gave me don't match. We got it to work in inch and continous but we cannot get it to work in single stroke (it will only travel 180 degrees) and top stop will not work. It has a capacitor, resister, rheostat portion of the circuit that I have never seen before and I'm not sure of it's function but I think it's at the root of our problem. There is also a device that looks like a bridge rectifier but it only has 2 wires going to it. It uses cam switches to tell it where it is but I don't measure any voltage going to it. It's all relay logic and no PLC's or encoders.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
It's a Precision brand press, flywheel, electro-mechanical, continuous cycle. It appears to have been "worked on" several times so all the prints they gave me don't match. We got it to work in inch and continous but we cannot get it to work in single stroke (it will only travel 180 degrees) and top stop will not work. It has a capacitor, resister, rheostat portion of the circuit that I have never seen before and I'm not sure of it's function but I think it's at the root of our problem. There is also a device that looks like a bridge rectifier but it only has 2 wires going to it. It uses cam switches to tell it where it is but I don't measure any voltage going to it. It's all relay logic and no PLC's or encoders.

I take it this is an electric over pneumatic type clutch?

Pictures?

Last edited by joethemechanic; 12-20-2011 at 01:03 PM.
joethemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethemechanic View Post
I take it this is an electric over pneumatic type clutch?

Pictures?
Yes. It's a duel solonoid Ross valve controlling the clutch. I'll get pictures next time I'am there. I'm sure that would help a lot.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
These older presses are notorious for the OEMs dreaming up unique (odd ball) ways of doing things. You are way ahead if you have any documentation to start from. Most of the old junk, that I work on, has no documentation at all. Your best friend can be a long time operator of this machine. They may not know the controls, but they would know the sequence of operation and the machine function.

Since, obviously, I can't look at the machine, I will make some guesses and assumptions:

The stopping at 180 degrees is probably a cam switch or position switch or the relay controlled by these switches. These machines usually have a logic string that looks at the discharge of the machine before allowing the second 180 degrees of rotation. This is to help prevent jams.

The cap, resistor and pot are probably the adjustments for the clutch reaction time. The two wire "rectifier" is probably a snubber to make a coil drop out reliably.

I have seem many odd and unusual control voltages on these type machines.
In addition to the "normal" voltages, I have seem anything from 5 VDC to 60 VAC.

If you can get an accurate sequence of operation, and the owner will spend the money, It CAN be quicker and cheaper to do away with the old wiring and start over. An encoder feedback and a small PLC can be a cost effective way to retrofit a machine.

Good luck,
Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to varmit For This Useful Post:
Sparkee (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #11

I appreciate your reply. Always so much to learn! This work can be frustrating at times but it is never boring.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
DGFVT

Rewards Points: 172

I did some punch press controls about 10 years ago. A word of caution on doing any alterations to the existing press controls. If something goes wrong you will be first in line when they start pointing fingers. This is something that I wll NOT do now ....troubleshoot yes , new install no.

Ross air control valves have to have 2 control circuits and a reset circuit in order for it to work the was it was designed to be used.

Best bet wold have somebody else supply the controls and maybe you install them.

Rockford Controls
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
DGFVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post
If you can get an accurate sequence of operation, and the owner will spend the money, It CAN be quicker and cheaper to do away with the old wiring and start over. An encoder feedback and a small PLC can be a cost effective way to retrofit a machine.

Good luck,
Harry
I have done some in the past and would not recommend creating a new control system due to the highly sue happy society we now live in.

Ya got to know when to hold em and when to fold em and run for the door.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I have done some in the past and would not recommend creating a new control system due to the highly sue happy society we now live in.

Ya got to know when to hold em and when to fold em and run for the door.
Unfortunately, I will have to agree with you. I always try to to be liability conscious and sometimes it is better to walk away. Even if you improve the machine operation, and something goes wrong, that had nothing to do with your work, you can still be "under the bus". Of course, only repairing a machine will not absolve a person of liability either. Any entity can sue another over anything and your only defense will be proper procedures and documentation. There are no 100% safe business undertakings: Reasonable risk hopefully equals profit.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
DGFVT

This issue of designing press controls not only falls within the NEC but also OSHA. I real big issue is section 1910.217(e)(2) of the OSHA regulations is;
Modification. It shall be the responsibility of any person modifying a power press to furnish instructions with the modification to establish new or changed guidelines for use and care of the power press so modified.
When doing this type of work you really need to know what you are doing and be current in your understanding of all the regulations pertaining to presses.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ARDS&p_id=9841

Here is a picture of a press control station for a 90 ton punch press that built the controls for.

And the keys are not supposed to be left in the key switches.

Attachment 10896

Last edited by John; 10-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:
Sparkee (01-12-2012)