Three Phase Motor Plugging(Forward/Reverse) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree23Likes
  • 3 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 5 Post By 460 Delta
  • 2 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By IASMICHIGAN
  • 4 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By telsa
  • 3 Post By JRaef
  • 2 Post By varmit
  • 1 Post By Flyingsod

Old 07-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Three Phase Motor Plugging(Forward/Reverse)

Hello first post here. I have been doing controls for the last 10 years and have ran across a first for me. A company built a drill/tap machine that as I now know uses plugging, reversing a motor while it is still running forward. The motor is a 3hp motor using old Allen Bradley nema 705 Bulletin forward reversing contactors. These are now obsolete and have been replaced with the 505 series.

My question is, Has anyone ever replaced these NEMA contactors with IEC forward/reversing? Specifically in a plugging application this seems like murder on a contactor. I know the NEMA style contactors are tanks but they come with the price tag. The AB spec sheets list them as capable but I'm more looking for some real world experiences.

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks.
IASMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Modrateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASMICHIGAN View Post
Hello first post here. I have been doing controls for the last 10 years and have ran across a first for me. A company built a drill/tap machine that as I now know uses plugging, reversing a motor while it is still running forward. The motor is a 3hp motor using old Allen Bradley nema 705 Bulletin forward reversing contactors. These are now obsolete and have been replaced with the 505 series.

My question is, Has anyone ever replaced these NEMA contactors with IEC forward/reversing? Specifically in a plugging application this seems like murder on a contactor. I know the NEMA style contactors are tanks but they come with the price tag. The AB spec sheets list them as capable but I'm more looking for some real world experiences.

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks.

I have done quite few of them and with IEC contractors you will need to be oversized at least twice of normal rating so like example a 16 amp unit may be ok for non plugging duty but once you get into plugging duty you will have to oversized to 32 amp verison to handle the inrush current during plugging mode.,

I just hope you are aware you will need a super short off delay when you hit plugging mode.

read the fine print note on 505 series units about derating on plugging duty that will get your attention.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 960

Why do you need to replace the 705’s for? As far as I know all wear parts are still available from AB. @Cow has a source he gets reman starters from, Oregon Breaker I believe. My usual source is eBay of course. I believe a company called Hoyt sells aftermarket parts also. Think twice before you toss those old AB’s and install any brand of IEC.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 26,186

Plugging is an EXTREME measure that if done repeatedly will destroy a motor.

The only situation where I'd use plugging in an engineered scheme is Life Safety.

In all other situations -- the common brake is to be spec'd.

That approach is as common as dust.

Plugging stresses the windings to a crazy degree.

BTW, plugging does not stop the motor -- it reverses it.

Going backwards is not at all the same as stopping the motor.

Last edited by telsa; 07-25-2019 at 09:59 PM.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I have done quite few of them and with IEC contractors you will need to be oversized at least twice of normal rating so like example a 16 amp unit may be ok for non plugging duty but once you get into plugging duty you will have to oversized to 32 amp verison to handle the inrush current during plugging mode.,

I just hope you are aware you will need a super short off delay when you hit plugging mode.

read the fine print note on 505 series units about derating on plugging duty that will get your attention.
I agree, if you're using IEC stuff, go WAY oversize.

Allen Bradleys specs for a NEMA size 0 contractor (any of the 500 series) is 5HP @ 460 volts for normal duty and 2 HP for jogging/plugging. The size 1 is 10 HP for normal and 5 HP for jog/plug.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Why do you need to replace the 705’s for? As far as I know all wear parts are still available from AB. @Cow has a source he gets reman starters from, Oregon Breaker I believe. My usual source is eBay of course. I believe a company called Hoyt sells aftermarket parts also. Think twice before you toss those old AB’s and install any brand of IEC.
@frenchelectrican Good to know thanks!

@delta This is on AB technote 824309. "Repair part support for the Bulletin 705 Reversing Starters - Series A, B, C design ended on 31-December-1993."

I've seen some aftermarket repair kits but have had trouble finding documentation showing the allen bradley part numbers and it doesn't seem my local distributor carries them.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Plugging is an EXTREME measure that if done repeatedly will destroy a motor.

The only situation where I'd use plugging in an engineered scheme is Life Safety.

In all other situations -- the common brake is to be spec'd.

That approach is as common as dust.

Plugging stresses the windings to a crazy degree.

BTW, plugging does not stop the motor -- it reverses it.

Going backwards is not at all the same as stopping the motor.
I would agree but these motors on this machine are still plugging away lol (couldn't resist the pun). They cycle For/Rev every 20 seconds and the machine is relay logic from the early 80s.
mpetro likes this.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 780

What about switching to a vfd and using the dynamic brake mode? (I think that is the right function)
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,516

Welcome aboard @IASMICHIGAN!

+1 for French's comment on severe oversizing.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 26,186

To the OP: has your customer heard of TapMatic?

TapMatics can be purchased off of eBay for peanuts.
just the cowboy and gpop like this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,106

Plugging is indeed hard on motors, but typically it is dealt with by over sizing the motor in order to get mechanical components larger and stronger than typically used on the HP size you need. So if it has been working for years, that is likely the case, i.e. the machine needed 1HP, they used a 3HP motor.

If you use IEC contactors, you should use the AC-4 duty ratings, then I always go up one more size from that, because the IEC concept of plugging as denoted in AC-4 is not the same as the NEMA concept of plugging. Do NOT relay solely on the electrical interlocks, get a mechanical interlock for the contactors as well.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,620

Yes, plugging motors is very common on older bag fillers that are controlled by weight. Instead of stopping the motor, it is reversed for about 2 seconds to prevent overfilling the bag. It is a brutal application, but with a NEMA starter and a properly sized motor, these things seem to last forever. The key element is to have a short delay, about 1 second, between forward and reverse.

If you can have an "almost full" sensor, to ramp down a VFD, it works really well.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
To the OP: has your customer heard of TapMatic?

TapMatics can be purchased off of eBay for peanuts.
Hmm those are interesting. I have not seen those, but I will look into them.
@JRaef I would agree with interlocking. I always electrically and mechanically interlock for piece of mind. I’ve seen just mechanically interlocked contactors get welded shut.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 114

Cycling every 20 seconds is harsh enough without the plugging aspect. Personally I would try very hard to talk a customer out of any IEC components, even going as far as to say I wouldn’t be responsible for their eventual demise.

If I was in your situation I’d contact the manufacturer and see what they are using these days. They may even have a recommendation on replaceable but obsolete parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micromind likes this.
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote