Vibration resistant RTDs - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joebanana

Old 05-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310
Default Vibration resistant RTDs

Anybody have experience with using MgO RTD probes for wells with a lot of vibration or do you use something else?

I just replaced a couple RTD assemblies that looked like Frankenstein with brand new components from minco but now I'm wondering if I should have used these MgO probes instead of standard ones. The vibration is pretty bad.

http://catalog.minco.com/catalog3/d/...=1_6_9-mgortds

Last edited by QMED; 05-22-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
QMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,636

Probes never seem to fail due to vibration but the terminal connection fails all the time.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,869

I agree with gpop on this one, industrial solid state components are fairly robust by their nature, unless slammed around. Are they potted, or just shoved in the well? We had all kinds of RTD's on an industrial gas turbine Co-gen, and never saw one fail. But it was a GE unit.
QMED likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 779

All of my RTD probes that just slide into the well get silicone on the outside(only) at the face of the well. Keeps them from sliding out and you can pull them out for replacement. We started doing this when a customer complained the thermostat would kick on every time someone opens the equipment room door. Apparently the cold air coming through the door would go straight into the well and the sensor would trigger the stat to kick on (1* deferential). Fixed that issue and some would slide out a little from vibration. Never had any fail due to vibration.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 344

RTDs rely on a very thin sensor to work well. We epoxy them into motors but even then they are not vibration resistant. Thermocouples hold up much better.
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGP1199 View Post
All of my RTD probes that just slide into the well get silicone on the outside(only) at the face of the well. Keeps them from sliding out and you can pull them out for replacement. We started doing this when a customer complained the thermostat would kick on every time someone opens the equipment room door. Apparently the cold air coming through the door would go straight into the well and the sensor would trigger the stat to kick on (1* deferential). Fixed that issue and some would slide out a little from vibration. Never had any fail due to vibration.
The ones I was thinking about were embedded in things like thrust bearings, and Babbitt bearings, instrument cluster ambient, or inlet air/exhaust temp. RTD's. Most of which required a complete tear-down to access.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
I agree with gpop on this one, industrial solid state components are fairly robust by their nature, unless slammed around. Are they potted, or just shoved in the well? We had all kinds of RTD's on an industrial gas turbine Co-gen, and never saw one fail. But it was a GE unit.
Spring loaded minco holders. The vibration is way worse than a gas turbine, it seems to break all kinds of components. I've worked with GE LM2500 turbines and I only really ever fixed 2 or 3 things on them, they were pretty reliable for me.

Last edited by QMED; 05-22-2020 at 10:01 PM.
QMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMED View Post
Spring loaded minco holders. The vibration is way worse than a gas turbine, it seems to break all kinds of components. I've worked with GE LM2500 turbines and I only really ever fixed 2 or 3 things on them, they were pretty reliable for me.
I would maybe consider a different vendor.