Voltage drop and wire size table for 24VDC to power encoders? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pudge565
  • 1 Post By glen1971
  • 1 Post By pudge565
  • 1 Post By splatz

Old 07-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Default Voltage drop and wire size table for 24VDC to power encoders?

Is there a table that shows wire size and voltage drops based on wire size/distance for powering 24VDC encoders? the encoders are EI7C and rated supply voltage is DC 9 – 30V.
Zylonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,064

I don't think you'll find tables because voltage drop depends on the

voltage
load
distance
wire size

There are lots of online voltage drop calculators though.

Most cases with what you describe, 18/2 will work.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Certified Organic A-Hole

Rewards Points: 1,022

Again, sounds like you are in way over your head dude, hire someone who does this on a daily basis.
glen1971 likes this.
pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge565 View Post
Again, sounds like you are in way over your head dude, hire someone who does this on a daily basis.
I guess you have nothing better to do than monitor my posts daily and making pointless comments. This is a forum and I am allowed to ask any electrical related questions. Usually in other forums what you are doing is considered harassment so if you have nothing to say just ignore my posts and move on.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylonite View Post
I guess you have nothing better to do than monitor my posts daily and making pointless comments. This is a forum and I am allowed to ask any electrical related questions. Usually in other forums what you are doing is considered harassment so if you have nothing to say just ignore my posts and move on.
Yes you can ask as many questions as you'd like. There is nothing in the world wrong with that, and we can all learn a little from the vast exerience on this forum. A lot of the members here are great with giving some really good answers to what may be an easy question to them, but is stumping the best of us..
But what @pudge565 is trying to get at is in all of your posts, others here have designed your controls, motor wiring and now control wiring sizes and how they'd do it.. If you came in and said, "hey I'm stumped on "x" part of the process, here's what I've done to get close and it works except for "y", can anyone here give me a couple of pointers", that would have been something different, and you wouldn't have to say that you are being harassed..

From what I've read in your posts, you are in over your head, and don't want to admit it - how to get 230 volt single phase from a 230 volt, 3 phase service, control wire sizes, using DC to power winding heaters from a VFD, 1 VFD for 3 motors, etc... VFD's and controls can sometimes be overwhelming if you don't do it on a regular basis. IMO, it would have been a lot easier if you would have posted your client's number and one of us came out to do the job, either as a sub to you, or on our own..
sparkiez likes this.

Last edited by glen1971; 07-04-2019 at 06:59 PM.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Yes you can ask as many questions as you'd like. There is nothing in the world wrong with that, and we can all learn a little from the vast exerience on this forum. A lot of the members here are great with giving some really good answers to what may be an easy question to them, but is stumping the best of us..
But what @pudge565 is trying to get at is in all of your posts, others here have designed your controls, motor wiring and now control wiring sizes and how they'd do it.. If you came in and said, "hey I'm stumped on "x" part of the process, here's what I've done to get close and it works except for "y", can anyone here give me a couple of pointers", that would have been something different, and you wouldn't have to say that you are being harassed..

From what I've read in your posts, you are in over your head, and don't want to admit it - how to get 230 volt single phase from a 230 volt, 3 phase service, control wire sizes, using DC to power winding heaters from a VFD, 1 VFD for 3 motors, etc... VFD's and controls can sometimes be overwhelming if you don't do it on a regular basis. IMO, it would have been a lot easier if you would have posted your client's number and one of us came out to do the job, either as a sub to you, or on our own..
This is a final school project and even though I came here to learn some stuff that are not taught to us in the text books, thanks for making me realize that this forum is not for me. My intentions were not to ask the people here to do my job for me, I only wanted to hear people advise that could contribute to my research.

If you and @pudge565 really thought that I am a hired contractor getting paid to do a complex project this scale then I am not sure what to tell you. And yes it's over my head because it's a research project and I never denied that it was over my head. But if something is over my head then should I pack my bags and call it quits? Anyways, thanks for you time and I'll just stick to other source of resources.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #7

mods please close and delete my account. I learned my lesson here. Thank you
Old 07-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Certified Organic A-Hole

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post

He had made a post saying that this was for a lift or something for solar panels, maybe a sunlight tracking system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylonite View Post
This is a final school project and even though I came here to learn some stuff that are not taught to us in the text books, thanks for making me realize that this forum is not for me. My intentions were not to ask the people here to do my job for me, I only wanted to hear people advise that could contribute to my research.

If you and @pudge565 really thought that I am a hired contractor getting paid to do a complex project this scale then I am not sure what to tell you. And yes it's over my head because it's a research project and I never denied that it was over my head. But if something is over my head then should I pack my bags and call it quits? Anyways, thanks for you time and I'll just stick to other source of resources.
So your school is buying 3 $4k VFDs for you to do a project, I highly doubt that. Plus, this is what your instructor is around for. If you are a student why did you put electrical technologist on your profile instead of student or apprentice?
glen1971 likes this.
pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge565 View Post
He had made a post saying that this was for a lift or something for solar panels, maybe a sunlight tracking system.

So your school is buying 3 $4k VFDs for you to do a project, I highly doubt that. Plus, this is what your instructor is around for. If you are a student why did you put electrical technologist on your profile instead of student or apprentice?
Yep, the "help with my homework" thing sounds like bull**** to me too.
glen1971 likes this.