320 Amp Meter Questions - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CTshockhazard

Old 06-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Default 320 Amp Meter Questions

Hey Guys I have a job that’s is making question which way is the proper way to set this up and full discloser I have yet to do a 320 meter.

Originally the customer had a 200 amp meter socket with an illegally tapped set of conductors to fed his barn off the load side of the meter. It got lose and burnt up along with his meter. I have it temped up for now to get by but need to replace.

I was going to do a 320 amp meter base and put a 100 amp outdoor panel behind the meter on the pole and refeed to barn a later date per the customers request. The customer has no need or desire for two 200 amp panels. As I look into the bonding requirements I’m getting lost on the proper way I should be doing this.

1. Can I have a 200 and 100 amp panel split on a 320 meter?
2. How do i need to bond the system? Can I leave the 200 amp systems bonding as is and bond the 100 amp panel separately?
3. For the 100 amp panel is it ok to drive two ground rods run #2 copper and bond to panel from there? If I need to somehow bond the two panels together allegedly the conduit underground is ran in rigid metal conduit so I could use bond bushings.
4. Do I have to upgrade the water line ground for the 200 amp panel for the
house?

I can attach a drawing but I’m not sure how to on here

Thanks for any help!
Sparkzman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,986

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-...0SDS/202819626

Why not do one of these?
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Per the inspector once I change the meter to a meter main he is going to make the home owner bring the home up the code. Like any two wire in the house is going to have to tore out replaced with three wire.

He's being difficult to say the least. And I am not 100% the conduit is rigid metal conduit underground the whole way so I may have to pull a EGC if switching to a meter main as well.

But yes a 200 amp meter main on the pole would make life a lot easier if things were different and if the meter attachment point wasn't 100 feet away from the house 200 amp panel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 152

You might find that 200A panels are cheaper than 100A panels because they sell so many more of them, and it semi-future-proofs the service you're building. And they often come with a slew of breakers at that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkzman22 View Post
Hey Guys I have a job that’s is making question which way is the proper way to set this up and full discloser I have yet to do a 320 meter.

Originally the customer had a 200 amp meter socket with an illegally tapped set of conductors to fed his barn off the load side of the meter. It got lose and burnt up along with his meter. I have it temped up for now to get by but need to replace.

I was going to do a 320 amp meter base and put a 100 amp outdoor panel behind the meter on the pole and refeed to barn a later date per the customers request. The customer has no need or desire for two 200 amp panels. As I look into the bonding requirements I’m getting lost on the proper way I should be doing this.

2. How do i need to bond the system? Can I leave the 200 amp systems bonding as is and bond the 100 amp panel separately?
3. For the 100 amp panel is it ok to drive two ground rods run #2 copper and bond to panel from there? If I need to somehow bond the two panels together allegedly the conduit underground is ran in rigid metal conduit so I could use bond bushings.
house?

Thanks for any help!
Am I understanding you correctly? You have an existing 200 amp main breaker panel in the house and you want to install a new 100 amp main breaker panel outside on the yard power pole? You plan on using a 320 amp meter pan with twin lugs on the load side?
If that is the case, I have done this several times with out a problem. Three wire from the pole to the house and treated it as a 200 amp service. Installed a water GEC sized for the service entrance feeder ( #4 copper ) and an additional ground rod as per the local power company. The 100 amp service was a 3R panel with two ground rods. I treated it as a separate 100 amp service. Since there is no water out by the pole. I installed the two ground rods. When bringing the power to the barn, you might have to alter the grounding.
Every state and power company has different requirements so people have different opinions on how to do things.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,484

Quote:
Per the inspector once I change the meter to a meter main he is going to make the home owner bring the home up the code. Like any two wire in the house is going to have to tore out replaced with three wire.

I'd love to see the wording of this requirement.
sbrn33 and HackWork like this.

Just to be absolutely clear...
I didn't say anything about nothing to nobody.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTshockhazard For This Useful Post:
HackWork (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:

house?

Thanks for any help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jb1 View Post
Quote:

house?

Thanks for any help!
Am I understanding you correctly? You have an existing 200 amp main breaker panel in the house and you want to install a new 100 amp main breaker panel outside on the yard power pole? You plan on using a 320 amp meter pan with twin lugs on the load side?
If that is the case, I have done this several times with out a problem. Three wire from the pole to the house and treated it as a 200 amp service. Installed a water GEC sized for the service entrance feeder ( #4 copper ) and an additional ground rod as per the local power company. The 100 amp service was a 3R panel with two ground rods. I treated it as a separate 100 amp service. Since there is no water out by the pole. I installed the two ground rods. When bringing the power to the barn, you might have to alter the grounding.
Every state and power company has different requirements so people have different opinions on how to do things.
Thanks man this is exactly what I was thinking of doing but was unsure if it was kosher!

Customer knows there may be issues with the barn and it’s hacked together wiring so no worries there for me
Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTshockhazard View Post
Quote:

I'd love to see the wording of this requirement. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.electriciantalk.com/images/smilies/vs_laugh.gif[/IMG]
This is what I get for working out of my normal area with a different inspector