CGFI short problem - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default CGFI short problem

I need an opinion. I've got 1 CGFI outlet and three switches.

Switch A controls power to the CGFI outlet, switch B&C run to one interior light and one exterior light respectively. Switch A can be on and the outlet can have a load with out a problem as long as switch B&C are both off. Switch B&C function fine as long as switch A is off, but if switch A is on along with either switch B or C then the CGFI trips the breaker and I lose power to switch A,B and C.

The wiring is done all wrong (multiple blacks from one box, bad connections, etc.) but I don't want to dive to deep until I have a better idea about what I am looking at here.

Thanks
McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCool View Post
I need an opinion. I've got 1 CGFI outlet and three switches.

Switch A controls power to the CGFI outlet, switch B&C run to one interior light and one exterior light respectively. Switch A can be on and the outlet can have a load with out a problem as long as switch B&C are both off. Switch B&C function fine as long as switch A is off, but if switch A is on along with either switch B or C then the CGFI trips the breaker and I lose power to switch A,B and C.

The wiring is done all wrong (multiple blacks from one box, bad connections, etc.) but I don't want to dive to deep until I have a better idea about what I am looking at here.

Thanks
My best guess is either there is a neutral touching something grounded or a you have two neutrals tied together or crossed.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Badger View Post
My best guess is either there is a neutral touching something grounded or a you have two neutrals tied together or crossed.
Don't know if you noticed, Bob, but he's north of the border. Maybe GFCI's there aren't the same as ours (like in the UK where they're RCDs). Not being 'fluent' in Canadian wiring, I can't say, though.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Don't know if you noticed, Bob, but he's north of the border.
One them Canadians eh?

Well then I can not help them.

Quote:
Maybe GFCI's there aren't the same as ours (like in the UK where they're RCDs). Not being 'fluent' in Canadian wiring, I can't say, though.
Pretty sure they are GFCIs like ours not the RCDs which I know nothing about.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

The GFCIs in Canada are identical to American ones; most sold are also UL listed along with CSA. One difference is that all GFCIs in Canada have been required to have a pilot lamp for the last couple of years; I don't know what the rule is in the US.
cguillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,008

Our GFIs are snow proof, since they are covered in snow all year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't fight .. Play nice!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toronto Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

In the 2007 code they upgraded the snowproofing to plastic; prior to that we could use a spare beaver pelt and we'd be fine...
cguillas is offline   Reply With Quote