Chasing that voltage - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By MikeFL
  • 2 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By Mugs
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By mitch65
  • 2 Post By mbednarik
  • 1 Post By ~48~

Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Default Chasing that voltage

Hey folks,

I was on this website a long time ago... couldn't remember my ID or email attached to it though, so here's a fresh question from me.

I installed a chandelier in a kitchen, 100 year old house. I couldn't figure out why there was still voltage on the switch leg coming up even after both switches were off, so here's the facts... I need help understanding why this happened:

1) Dead-end 3-way switch set-up, i.e. the hot sent over to the other switch via Romex 3-wire
2) Both traveler wires from the Romex operating fine, they did their job when the switches were hooked up
(Imagine the light isn't connected yet, since these next 2 voltage readings were taken before the chandelier was wired in.)
3) When the light comes on, there are 120 volts between the "switch leg" and "neutral", which I ultimately connected the chandelier to
4) When the light is off, there are 55 volts, regardless of dimmer.
5) I read the voltage of the box to the "neutral" in a nearby outlet and found 25 volts.

Where is this voltage coming from? I told the homeowner that basically there is a problem with the bonding at the service or something else where the neutral is tied into the ground. I continued to tell him I've been in houses where people got poked because there was about 60 volts touching the yoke of the switch and breaker's not tripping. Since I didn't wire the house, I just noted on the invoice there's a "possibility" of voltage at the dimmer when it's deenergized. That's basically why I spent a ton of time trying to make sure this ancient wiring wasn't going to poke or bite anyone in the house.

Everything worked great when I left. I'm just baffled about the voltage present at the chandelier after the switch/dimmer breaks the circuit. Is it my Fluke T5-600?
~48~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,222

Welcome to the world of switched neutrals, common neutrals between circuits, and bootleg grounds
Service Call, Majewski and MikeFL like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Welcome to the world of switched neutrals, common neutrals between circuits, and bootleg grounds
There are some people out there who still do this today. Talk to them until you're blue in the face and they're not going to change.
emtnut and Majewski like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
There are some people out there who still do this today. Talk to them until you're blue in the face and they're not going to change.
Nooooo ... tell me they all go to a DIY site and get good advice

MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 26,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
And a rude welcome it is.
Majewski likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,468

D on't

I njure

Y ourself
Majewski likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~48~ View Post
Hey folks,

I was on this website a long time ago... couldn't remember my ID or email attached to it though, so here's a fresh question from me.

I installed a chandelier in a kitchen, 100 year old house. I couldn't figure out why there was still voltage on the switch leg coming up even after both switches were off, so here's the facts... I need help understanding why this happened:

1) Dead-end 3-way switch set-up, i.e. the hot sent over to the other switch via Romex 3-wire
2) Both traveler wires from the Romex operating fine, they did their job when the switches were hooked up
(Imagine the light isn't connected yet, since these next 2 voltage readings were taken before the chandelier was wired in.)
3) When the light comes on, there are 120 volts between the "switch leg" and "neutral", which I ultimately connected the chandelier to
4) When the light is off, there are 55 volts, regardless of dimmer.
5) I read the voltage of the box to the "neutral" in a nearby outlet and found 25 volts.

Where is this voltage coming from? I told the homeowner that basically there is a problem with the bonding at the service or something else where the neutral is tied into the ground. I continued to tell him I've been in houses where people got poked because there was about 60 volts touching the yoke of the switch and breaker's not tripping. Since I didn't wire the house, I just noted on the invoice there's a "possibility" of voltage at the dimmer when it's deenergized. That's basically why I spent a ton of time trying to make sure this ancient wiring wasn't going to poke or bite anyone in the house.

Everything worked great when I left. I'm just baffled about the voltage present at the chandelier after the switch/dimmer breaks the circuit. Is it my Fluke T5-600?
I'm curious - you said you had 3 wire romex connecting the two 3-ways. Have you considered the possibility of induced voltage? I know this caught me a couple of times early on in the trade - I would measure about 30 (induced) volts on the not-in-use traveller of a 3-wire in a 3-way configuration (in new housing, properly wired). 55 volts is a higher number than I remember ever seeing, but maybe a possibility, or at least part of the puzzle?
emtnut likes this.

Last edited by Mugs; 07-23-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mugs For This Useful Post:
~48~ (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
I'm curious - you said you had 3 wire romex connecting the two 3-ways. Have you considered the possibility of induced voltage? I know this caught me a couple of times early on in the trade - I would measure about 30 (induced) volts on the not-in-use traveller of a 3-wire in a 3-way configuration (in new housing, properly wired). 55 volts is a higher number than I remember ever seeing, but maybe a possibility, or at least part of the puzzle?
Good point Mugs
Old 07-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Are you reading this voltage with a DMM or with a wiggy type tester? I'd only trust a low hz tester.
readydave8 and emtnut like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
~48~ (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #10

DMM for the reading.

Yes, 30 volts on the unused traveler. That's part of why I paused and had to come back and finish.. What's it all mean?
Old 07-26-2016, 02:12 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~48~ View Post
DMM for the reading.

Yes, 30 volts on the unused traveler. That's part of why I paused and had to come back and finish.. What's it all mean?
Try a low z tester, they eliminate ghost voltages.

A standard DMM can give you false readings.
readydave8 and Majewski like this.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

I really need to get one of those.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 376

sounds like a switched neutral to me. i just dealt with one this weekend at my parents house. I dont do residential so this type of ****ery had my head spinning. with the switch on i got my normal 110, with the switch off i got 56V.

it wasnt a 3-way though, but im sure they switched the neutral somewhere just like in my case

did you try testing Hot to ground, and Neutral to ground?

Last edited by chknkatsu; 07-26-2016 at 05:59 PM.
chknkatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chknkatsu For This Useful Post:
~48~ (07-28-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 416

ground the hot when the switches are off. If no spark it's induced voltage. if it sparks and the breaker trips, you have a problem. Most likely induced if the 3 wire is particularly long.
Majewski likes this.
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mitch65 For This Useful Post:
~48~ (07-28-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,120

Are you sure it's not an illuminated switch? The open circuit voltage of 25 to 50 volts is on par for an illuminated switch. Many dimmers are without much labeling, lutron diva for example.
V-Dough and Majewski like this.
mbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
sounds like a switched neutral to me. i just dealt with one this weekend at my parents house. I dont do residential so this type of ****ery had my head spinning. with the switch on i got my normal 110, with the switch off i got 56V.

it wasnt a 3-way though, but im sure they switched the neutral somewhere just like in my case

did you try testing Hot to ground, and Neutral to ground?
It might be a switched neutral. That hadn't occurred to me. I forgot people do that crap. I assumed the 2 loose wires in the box were my hot and neutral. Silly me. But I rang out the wire coming up from the dimmer and it was the switch leg/common of the 3-wire. So take that for what it's worth. Since nothing in the chandelier box was anything other than older BX-black, I don't know if the hot wire was tied through and the neutral was broken by the switching. Sorta makes sense when you think about it..

The switches were new, installed by me, so I know they're not illuminated.

Thanks folks, I should've come on here and asked this question before I went and finished the job!
Majewski likes this.

Tags
chandelier, dead-end, dimmer, old house, transient voltage