Gfci receptacle feeds pool receptacle. Pool pump trips gfci and an hour or less - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree12Likes

Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Gfci receptacle feeds pool receptacle. Pool pump trips gfci and an hour or less

This is my situation. I have a homeowner that has a circuit that feeds and gfci receptacle on the outside of his house. On the load side of the gfi receptacle he is feeding his pool twist lock receptacle. When he turns on the pump it runs for a few minutes all the way up to an hour. Then the gfi on the house trips. Gfi receptacle is brand new. Also when he tries to reset it it will not reset until later on. He bypassed the timer and it ran for sa little over an hour. I have no idea about pool pumps. Anything I should look for? I am going to look in the peckerhead of the motor for moisture and also check the twist lock. Any other ideas??
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,070

What size pump? How old is the install? And did you check to make sure the pump wasnt sucking air?
gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8,850

Above ground or in ground?
Switched is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
RGH

Rewards Points: 2,044

This appears not to be to code to begin with. So it could be anything....
Sparkykaboom likes this.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Above ground pool. I do not know size of pump. I will get that information tomorrow for yoi tomorrow. I changed the gfi because the original cover was Barely attached to the weather proof box and the old recept was trashed. This was happening before I changed the receptacle. There is another gfi on the deck and it will run the pump fine. I am thinking that the wires feeding the pool pump twist lock in the conduit may be damaged also. But if this was the case the gfi would trip immediately.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,004

Does this pump have electronic controls?
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #7

Oh trust me I know it's not code. Just trying to help the guy out. If it were me I would have done a pool panel.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #8

So if it is above ground, does it have one of those built in attached motors, the kind that have the GFCI cord assembly attached from the factory?

This sounds all kind of wrong, build it to code from scratch or walk away.
Gold Revisited likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #9

It has a timer. When he bypassed the timer it ran for a little over an hour. But then tripped. My idea for him to try tomorrow is to plug an extension cord into the new gfi and plug directly into the pump. If it runs for awhile and no tripping occurs it would be safe to assume the wire in the conduit is compromised and I would have to pull new conductors. Or it could be the standard recept to twistlock changeover setup he has
Old 06-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #10

How many people have died this pool season already from people "Just trying to get it to work".

The GFCI is tripping probably for good reason.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #11

At the time of me changing the gfi I had no idea the old side of the recept was feeding the pool pump. All i changed was the gfi which is wr and tr rated and also put on a proper in use cover. Thy why I don't have any info on the pool. I am only going based on what he told
Me. I can't get out there till Friday.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #12
RGH

Pools are a pita that pump should be on its own circuit.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #13

Listen if I cannot get it to work based on help for you guys. I will run a dedicated circuit out to the pool and put in a pool panel. I just don't understand how it worked for the past 10 years and now it trips.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #14
RGH

I would guess that convenience outlet is sharing a ground and there lies your problem. To many funky issues combined with motor on same circuit
Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #15
RGH

As an aside to the wiring issues, that gfic may have just gone belly up. 10 years of weather and load will kill them I re placed 2 last week that were toast I estimate both were 20years old no real loads just usual patio stuff but 20 years of Wny weather... See ya!!!
donaldelectrician likes this.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman30571 View Post
Listen if I cannot get it to work based on help for you guys. I will run a dedicated circuit out to the pool and put in a pool panel. I just don't understand how it worked for the past 10 years and now it trips.
That should be done anyway but if there is an actual ground fault, wich is likely, it wont fix the problem. The fact that it is running for an hour before tripping suggest its probably the motor. Of course you would have to confirm it.

Like switched referenced above, a lot of people get hirt or killed in pools. In those regards the best favor you can do is insust they be installed right or dont touch it. It doesnt need a panel if its an above ground. A dedicated circuit for the pump, convenience recep and make sure the EBG is intact and well bonded.
emtnut likes this.
gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #17
Band Member

Rewards Points: 818

The fact that it's not a dedicated circuit, can be hard on the motor if voltage drop is high, and can get worse when the circuit is loaded by whatever else in on that circuit.

You could have a bad u/g cable, water in the twistloc or a failing motor. A megger will tell you for sure.

As Mac says .... Supco 500 to the rescue
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #18

Is there a way to test the motor at all without a megger? I don't have one unless I can borrow one from work.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman30571 View Post
Is there a way to test the motor at all without a megger? I don't have one unless I can borrow one from work.
Borrow the megger, check the whole thing out.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #20
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,877

Supco 500 to the rescue!
emtnut likes this.