Electrician Talk banner

Have you ever been asked to do this?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  daveEM 
#1 ·
One of my builder customers here in Maryland wants to do a walk through on a townhouse this week that was built about 15 years ago. The unit is currently roughed in. They want a quote to take over whats in place and finish. No warranty is expected on the existing.

I have not done the walk through yet but I'm thinking that the wiring methods used 15 years ago are not compatible with our methods today.

All new permits, inspections,etc.

First thought is this to pull everything out after the main service panel and start over again.

#2 ·
That sounds a bit harsh if you ask me. You may need to add a few things, like at the kitchen for instance- is there a direct line of sight disconnecting means for the dishwasher? Will all gfi outlets be readily accessible? Garage door outlet gfi going to be readily accessible? Here is a big one that happened since then, if the main feeder to the unit is in SER cable , did they run # 2 SER or did they run a bigger size SER cable assuming the fed 100 amps to the units panel . That could be an issue. Check hallway lengths against current code for receptacle outlet installs. Decks need light and outlet now. Used to be just lights.

Reactions: jmfllp
#3 ·
I would take that job no problem but you have to trace everything out. Me, I would label everything with white tape and a Sharpie, make lots of notes to myself and draw out the road map Upgrading to today’s code wouldn’t be much of an issue in my opinion. I would completely commission it prior to drywall including testing every arc fault circuit. All that takes time and has to be considered when you bid. Finishing could be a nightmare if something is missed.

#4 ·
Like 99 just said, Arc-Faults are gonna be an issue that wasn't present 15 years ago. I would make sure to admin the time to test everything like he said.

You'll likely have changes with home runs and wiring, but not everything should need replacement.

Reactions: jmfllp
#5 · (Edited)
I would not do this for free, I'd do it as a service, with no guarantee that all issues will be identified - par for the course with inspections, same has to apply for a "pre-inspection" or whatever you want to call it.

The arc fault requirements are an issue but not labor intensive to resolve. The 2011 change requiring switch loops to have a neutral will take some work. The changes with MWBCs could make some work if they were used. Possibly changes to requirements for feeders / separate structures if there's a detached garage.

I'd visually inspect everything as closely as possible. I'd megger everything, it's not a perfect test, but it may be helpful.

If there's any suspicion that things have been exposed to the elements, I might want to cut out some wiring, remove the jacket and see what I see. Has water wicked along the paper insulation? Anyplace been subject to leaks, standing water, etc.

#9 ·
There will be some changes for sure, but I don't see a need to do a full rip-out, unless you see some serious mold/rot/water/vandal issues that could compromise the wiring.

My biggest concern would be getting involved with a property that sat like that for 15 years through one of the strongest economies this country has seen in a long time.

#13 ·
Must be in a great part of town. I once had a house stripped clean of wiring in a weekend. This one lasted 15 years? And still has the wire in it?

I'd start over. I wouldn't even trust my only friend to sign permits for. Maybe if it had a rough-in inspection tag from 15 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.