Homer Helper product? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork

Old 12-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 519
Default Homer Helper product?

I was paging through some Instagram posts and saw this product for the first time, and there was quite a bit of positive talk about how these speed up homerun instals by not having to staple the runs.

Has anyone ever used these? They seem a little pricy but hard to say without having experience with them.

The spec sheet shows a boat load of wires being able to be run through the same hole, are we allowed to run that many through a bored hole in wood? I don't think so but I may be wrong.

I'm sure these are UL listed but could a fella make his own out of say 1/2" plywood in the same fashion and be legal?

Thanks, John.

https://www.ti-dwire.com/
JohnJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,961

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ65 View Post
I was paging through some Instagram posts and saw this product for the first time, and there was quite a bit of positive talk about how these speed up homerun instals by not having to staple the runs.

Has anyone ever used these? They seem a little pricy but hard to say without having experience with them.

The spec sheet shows a boat load of wires being able to be run through the same hole, are we allowed to run that many through a bored hole in wood? I don't think so but I may be wrong.

I'm sure these are UL listed but could a fella make his own out of say 1/2" plywood in the same fashion and be legal?

Thanks, John.

https://www.ti-dwire.com/
I think those are great, but too expensive for me to actually use.

The specs show up to 3 cables thru each hole, which is the same thru a hole you make in the framing.

Yes, you can make those yourself out of anything that won't chafe the cable.

I often just use Stackers, they are cheap and easy to install. And when pulling over joists I can pull all the cables, then go back and hammer down a couple stackers and clip the cables into them.

Last edited by HackWork; 12-23-2018 at 03:30 PM.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,206

I have never seen those but they the look like a great idea. I will use a stacker or the 1 1/4 grommets used for metal studs in the same fashion as what you posted except screwed to the rafter not the floor joists and pull through those and it makes pulling very easy.....no one has ever called me on it. Just have to remember not to put to many wires through the grommet because of derating

Last edited by bostonPedro; 12-23-2018 at 03:59 PM.
bostonPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,860

I like it but I dont know how often I will use them but they look good to me.

Pricewise I am not sure what they are run for now.

maybe I can use that on commercial side which I pull bunch of MC cables that may be a ticket.,,
Old 12-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 13,421

I like it!

Of course you can always go dumpster diving for scrap wood and make your own. I would just grab some 2 X 6’s and some framing screws and do it.

Last edited by 99cents; 12-23-2018 at 04:47 PM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 250

Rack a tiers makes them too. They advertise them for pipe IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 838

These come up from time to time

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f29/...4/#post5046568

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I was interested in these when I saw them but I don't see the value. They are very expensive and I don't see anything they do for you that you wouldn't be as good or better off using stackers.

Setting them first and pulling your home runs through them will take a lot of time threading each home run through each hole and will add a lot of friction, even if you are careful to line them up perfectly. You would be better off pulling the home runs and coming back and putting stackers on after. This will be just as neat, much faster, and much cheaper.

I could believe that once in a while you'll come across an odd situation where they are for some reason better than the alternatives and worth the money.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,961

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
And when pulling over joists I can pull all the cables, then go back and hammer down a couple stackers and clip the cables into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
You would be better off pulling the home runs and coming back and putting stackers on after.
You copied my idea!!!

And don't give me any crap about posting it 5 months before me! I still would have thought of it first back then!
splatz likes this.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote