Hot tub partial. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 1 Post By cwsims84
  • 2 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 2 Post By 99cents
  • 2 Post By 99cents

Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 189
Default Hot tub partial.

Got a job request today for a hot tub hook up, but to stop at the disconnect and they would do the rest. First, would you allow that? Second would you charge regular price l? I generally charge $1100 for a complete installation.
cwsims84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,162

If it is being permitted then you need to make sure your name is not on the final hookup. If my name stays on the permit I would not allow the owner to install any part of it.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 140

This sounds a lot like just an outdoor panel/disconnect switch. As mentioned, clearly tell the inspection department that you're not hooking up the tub.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
If it is being permitted then you need to make sure your name is not on the final hookup. If my name stays on the permit I would not allow the owner to install any part of it.
That’s what I was thinking. I plan to close out the permit at completion of my side of things.. I don’t know that the inspector would allow it
splatz likes this.
cwsims84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,530

I would have no problem doing it. It's electrical work, we get paid for electrical work.

The inspector around here would most certainly note our permitted work stopped at the disconnect.

We've done similar on shops. Install a service panel, one light and a gfci receptacle for a big shop and get it finaled. Done.

Homeowner comes in and finishes the rest of the wiring in the shop themselves under a separate permit. Not a big deal.
telsa and splatz like this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,449

If the permit says wiring to the disconnect, then that’s what it is. Get it inspected, permit gets closed, take their money.
splatz likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 12
Default Hot Tubs

I usually charge $1400 to $2000. I would not allow anyone to work on your license. You are responsible for the work. Good way to get your license suspended. All hot tub companies want the electrician to leave a whip. Problem is what happens is the whip isn't hooked up and the breaker gets turned on. Too much liability.

--
Bobby Lynn
bobbylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 8,588

Out here, last I checked, a homeowner or company employee is allowed to preform electrical work without a license on their own property.

I wouldn’t discount it much... probably 90% the amount for the return trip to connect the disconnect to the equipment.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylynn View Post
I usually charge $1400 to $2000. I would not allow anyone to work on your license. You are responsible for the work. Good way to get your license suspended. All hot tub companies want the electrician to leave a whip. Problem is what happens is the whip isn't hooked up and the breaker gets turned on. Too much liability.

--
Bobby Lynn
No way I’m leaving a whip. Running to a disconnect “for future” is okay, though, because it’s terminated and safe.

The best way to limit liability is to have a well defined scope of work on the permit. I can wire to an air conditioning disconnect in the winter knowing that the AC guy won’t be there until spring to install the whip and do the final connection. That’s long after my permit is closed and I’m off the job.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 8,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
No way I’m leaving a whip. Running to a disconnect “for future” is okay, though, because it’s terminated and safe.

The best way to limit liability is to have a well defined scope of work on the permit. I can wire to an air conditioning disconnect in the winter knowing that the AC guy won’t be there until spring to install the whip and do the final connection. That’s long after my permit is closed and I’m off the job.

You you guys even have summer in Canada?
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
You you guys even have summer in Canada?
Just long enough to grow flocks of mosquitoes .
MikeFL and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,246

I do it all the time. I don't charge any less but it sucks doing the final hookup.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:15 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 128

I do things like this. I just write a very detailed invoice so it ever goes to court you will be covered.
Simpson Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 42

fmwowol is offline   Reply With Quote