LED retrofit trim for Lightolier frames - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By CTshockhazard
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky

Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
Default LED retrofit trim for Lightolier frames

Has anyone found a decent and reasonable solution for this? I see that Lightolier actually has their own retrofit trims now but they’re ridiculously expensive.
Gage671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
MTW

Rewards Points: 7,632

Just so everyone knows what you mean, the Lightolier cans that are the large box or the ones with no housing at all are the problem here since they have nothing to hold in place a retrofit trim.

It's no problem to retrofit a Lytening can since it's just like a Halo or other brand.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #3

These are the 6” frames with no can. The socket clips into the top of the trim and the trim is held into the frame by four metal clips.

My original plan was to insert 6”wafer lights into the same holes but the holes are too big and I hate the look of the goof rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 818

Do these have the cast pot metal frames? Last winter I replaced a bunch of these with Lotus wafers which did cover the hole and also used Juno 6 inch old work cans to support the LED lights that Big Ass Fans offers. A lot of work, but was left with little to no damage with the exception of a few that had some cracks in the drywall. I believe we did close to 50 or 60 like this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #5

I think l’m probably going to wind up using old work cans inside the original housings. I was just really hoping that there might be a quicker and easier solution.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
Can't Remember

These were from the late 70's early 80's with a pot metal cast frame that broke apart fairly easily with tin snips into a few pieces. I'd remove the spreader bars and move the wiring from the junction box to the new fixture. No painting and just the few odd crumbled drywall spots. I think it was the Juno that filled the hole. I forget which lotus it was that I used. Both worked well in the end, just time consuming. Tried searching for something listed or classified at least for those frames and just decided to get standalone replacements because now it was just a hole in the ceiling regardless of what was left. The wiring was removed from the jb so whatever filled the hole was good.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,093

6" old work can in the hole. Halo/Vulite/Home Creepo brand fit just fine. Leave the frame in place, snip the lamp holder out and shift the romex to the new can. Cree 6" trims are wider then most and should cover the paint lines.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
6" old work can in the hole. Halo/Vulite/Home Creepo brand fit just fine. Leave the frame in place, snip the lamp holder out and shift the romex to the new can. Cree 6" trims are wider then most and should cover the paint lines.

That works until you're stuck with an entire house of AICM cans.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
Can't Remember

These older ones I did "nominal six inch size" had openings too big for the Halo that's why I went to the Juno cans. Who knows, the dimensions for his might be ok for Halo. Doesn't take much to not have anything to bite into.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
These older ones I did "nominal six inch size" had openings too big for the Halo that's why I went to the Juno cans. Who knows, the dimensions for his might be ok for Halo. Doesn't take much to not have anything to bite into.
It's been years since I had to do this install, but I seem to remember leaving the stock Lightolier clips to grab the sides of the replacement can.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #11
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,388

For the large boxed lightolier cans I've used these sylvania 70633 rings:

JoeSparky and MTW like this.

Either you like bacon, or you are wrong.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,636

Just completed a job just like this. Used Halo 6" old work cans. Put a 3' piece of romex into the existing junction box while cutting out the old light and spliced it into the new junction box. 6" cone trim and an led Sylvania bulb.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTshockhazard View Post
For the large boxed lightolier cans I've used these sylvania 70633 rings:

Source? Price? I have a job of 140 air box Lightoliers that could use those immediately.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Source? Price? I have a job of 140 air box Lightoliers that could use those immediately.
upc 04613570663 PN 70663
NE has 9 of them in Brockton - under 7 bucks each. Someone in a branch should be able to get them in quantity
CTshockhazard likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #15
Sentimental Mental

Quote:

I got them on Amazon back in August '16. Currently unavailable there. Not sure why I didn't get them at NE as they are my go to.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #16
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
upc 04613570663 PN 70663
NE has 9 of them in Brockton - under 7 bucks each. Someone in a branch should be able to get them in quantity
Northeast.

Actually they quoted a good price for quantity, $5 and change a piece.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #17
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTshockhazard View Post
I got them on Amazon back in August '16. Currently unavailable there. Not sure why I didn't get them at NE as they are my go to.
Amazon had them listed for $12, double the price of NE.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #18
Sentimental Mental

Quote:
Northeast.

Aren't they all ?