Leviton load centers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky

Old 12-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Leviton load centers

Leviton is coming out with load centers. They have the same setup as QO with the neutral and ground bars stacked next to the main. Not my favorite design, i've taken a liking to homelines plug on neutral setup.

Their big thing is that the hots don't connect directly to the breaker. Its got a terminal on the guts for each hot, and the breaker just plugs on. Seems like a solid failure point to me. They're doubling down on places for a breaker to arc and burn up. Does anyone recall a manufacturer coming out with a similar design in the past?

As far as i can tell those "hot load side lugs" can only take up to a #4. Maybe the larger size breakers can connect directly to a conductor.

They're also bragging about making their gfci breakers non resetable once the breaker has decided its reached its end of life. Something they've pushed UL to adopt. I can see the safety benefit in it, but i can also see the skeptical electricians "they're all in each other's pockets" take. If they're taking the non resetable approach, i guess testing monthly won't be necessary anymore, right?

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/...l/load-centers

Oh, and the door on the cover is clear with white breakers. Better keep your hands clean when you replace one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
warrenmanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10,428

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/l...-panel-265466/
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Thanks. I searched leviton load center, and didn't see anything. I guess i should have diversified my querie while searching

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 3,367

Way overpriced and you’re married to HD for breakers. I was hoping for more.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Way overpriced and you’re married to HD for breakers. I was hoping for more.
You didn't try one, did you? We can't get them here. The only way i could see it catching on is if leviton gives them away for free to new home builders. Then we're stuck working with / repairing them.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmanne View Post
You didn't try one, did you? We can't get them here. The only way i could see it catching on is if leviton gives them away for free to new home builders. Then we're stuck working with / repairing them.

They’re available here as “ship to store”. Five days lead time for an overpriced panel with no breaker inventory at the store.

This thing is definitely “wait and see”.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
See you at CBE

Rewards Points: 553

Local overpriced Ben Dover electric supply stocks them and claim they're priced lower then Siemens. Only place in the area that has them. I'm not beta testing that crap for them, when I can get Siemens at both big box stores, amazon and 2 local wholesalers.
A certain member here who once put his 99 Cents into the conversation, but I won't mention him by name said that Leviton is going to help fight against the breaker cartel
HackWork likes this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Local overpriced Ben Dover electric supply stocks them and claim they're priced lower then Siemens. Only place in the area that has them. I'm not beta testing that crap for them, when I can get Siemens at both big box stores, amazon and 2 local wholesalers.
A certain member here who once put his 99 Cents into the conversation, but I won't mention him by name said that Leviton is going to help fight against the breaker cartel
Maybe they will. Leviton has always been good at shaking up the old boys club.