Measuring electrical loads - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 2 Post By eddy current
  • 1 Post By VELOCI3
  • 2 Post By paulengr
  • 2 Post By mofos be cray
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Question Measuring electrical loads

Hello,

I do home audits and part of what I do is to use a Kill A Watt reader if the fridge is old, get a reading an compare the reading with an appliance database. Recently I have received requests for checking the electrical usage of water pumps, and central air units, both are 220 and wired to the electrical panel. How could I get a reading for these devices? Is there a way then to compare that reading to a list to see if their devices are working under normal parameters?

Thank you,
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan69 View Post
Hello,

I do home audits and part of what I do is to use a Kill A Watt reader if the fridge is old, get a reading an compare the reading with an appliance database. Recently I have received requests for checking the electrical usage of water pumps, and central air units, both are 220 and wired to the electrical panel. How could I get a reading for these devices? Is there a way then to compare that reading to a list to see if their devices are working under normal parameters?

Thank you,

That method will not give an accurate assessment of equipment the customer is relying upon a professional to audit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,870

Quote:
There's no simple safe non-invasive way to do this with those appliances. Your best bet for safety and accuracy would be to hire a competent electrician.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Hey guys, thank you for replying to my post even though I still do not have an answer to my question! @VELOCI3: You said my way is not an accurate way, so please let me know a better way of measuring.
@splatz: Maybe I am hiring an electrician and I still asking the question here to see if the guy I am hiring know what he is doing, so are you willing to let me know the best way(s) to read the load in watts for 220V directly wired to the electrical panel?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
Liberal Lesbian

Rewards Points: 374

Quote:
Hey guys, thank you for replying to my post even though I still do not have an answer to my question! @VELOCI3: You said my way is not an accurate way, so please let me know a better way of measuring.
@splatz: Maybe I am hiring an electrician and I still asking the question here to see if the guy I am hiring know what he is doing, so are you willing to let me know the best way(s) to read the load in watts for 220V directly wired to the electrical panel?

Thanks!
Your electrician will know exactly how to measure the current.

But an Electrician will also tell you that your method of testing will not accomplish anything and you are fleecing your customers.

What you are doing is similar to a plumber filling a cup with water and tasting it, and then determining if the pipes need to be replaced or not depending on the taste.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Light Bender

Rewards Points: 8,138

Quote:

Thanks!
Or maybe your not hiring an electrician and hoping we tell you how to do it so you can do it yourself? Sorry, this site is not a DIY site.

Any electrician will be able to test and give you the info you need.
splatz and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 118

Quote:

Thanks!

Your way of testing is like a car salesman tasting the oil on the dipstick to measure the value of the car. I’m usually more thorough in my answers but it’s Sunday and it’s beer-o-clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #8
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 366

With power especially on motor loads you have to measure voltage and current but in a special way. You have to measure the phase angle or power factor. This requires a power meter. These exist but they are not cheap.

As to load with a pump you compare it to a pump curve but you also need flow rates and pressures. With HVAC you need pressures and temperatures. That by the way includes refrigerators. The published data in appliances tests them under very specific test conditions do that models can be compared. This in no way whatsoever reflects actual conditions. So you are taking data under condition A then comparing it to data taken under condition B. Load (food), temperatures, cleanliness, temperature settings all affect the result. So you are not really comparing apples to apples.
RRF and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 18

Why would you want to kill a watt? They're pretty useful imho.
#wattlivesmatter
MikeFL and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mofos be cray For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (06-29-2020)
Closed Thread

Tags
electric usage, load reading