Milwaukee Hackzall's - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree29Likes

Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Rey

Rewards Points: 70
Default Milwaukee Hackzall's

Howdy,

Thinking about picking up a Milwaukee Hackzall. Yesterday I tried the 12V, 2420-20 (the non Fuel one) and was not impressed trying to cut some 1/2" EMT. Bugger vibrated like crazy and I couldn't get through the EMT easily enough. It may have been the old blade I was using but the corded sawzall mowed through it with the same blade.

Also, trying to get used to Milwaukee's new lineup of sawzall blades, Torch, Ax, etc. For cutting conduit am I just looking for more teeth per inch such as 24tpi and ignoring the torch, ax, etc. labels?

Is the 12V Fuel any better at cutting EMT? Maybe there was some part of the equation I was missing because I didn't try to troubleshoot it any further. Thought about the 12V Milwaukee bandsaw but I like the hackzall for a little more versatility.

All feedback appreciated. Cheers
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

If you’re running emt all day long (1.5” and under), I’d recommend the m12 band saw. Also great for cutting down bolts, cutting strut, threaded rod, lots of stuff.
sbrn33, zac, splatz and 1 others like this.
tjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 355

The non-Fuel model doesn't have anywhere near the power as the Fuel model.

Also, when the pipe vibrates it means that you aren't holding it tight enough to the guard. You gotta pull it into the guard very hard. And use a good blade with small teeth.
John Valdes and zac like this.
Rey (04-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 46

If you do any amount of conduit work I would highly recommend the bandsaw. I will walk out to my truck to get the bandsaw a lot of times rather than pick up the sawzall right beside me for even one cut. There is no comparison. Actually I hardly even use a sawzall anymore.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
Forge Boyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge Boyz View Post
If you do any amount of conduit work I would highly recommend the bandsaw.
I agree with this, if you are doing a good amount of conduit work.

But this...
Quote:
I will walk out to my truck to get the bandsaw a lot of times rather than pick up the sawzall right beside me for even one cut. There is no comparison. Actually I hardly even use a sawzall anymore.
..is kinda crazy. Since I don't do that much conduit work, I don't use my bandsaw often at all. For the 4-5 cuts I might have to do, I will use my M12 Fuel Hackzawl which cuts thru EMT like butter.

Walking out the the truck for a bandsaw to make 1 cut?
Superman likes this.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I agree with this, if you are doing a good amount of conduit work.

But this...

..is kinda crazy. Since I don't do that much conduit work, I don't use my bandsaw often at all. For the 4-5 cuts I might have to do, I will use my M12 Fuel Hackzawl which cuts thru EMT like butter.

Walking out the the truck for a bandsaw to make 1 cut?
It sounds worse than it actually is. About the only times I have the sawzall off the truck is for big PVC pipe, hacking out wood for something on a resi job or if it won't fit in my bandsaw. So most times I have the sawzall out I would have to change the blade anyway.

tjb likes this.
Forge Boyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
zac

Rewards Points: 816

Before I purchased the fuel version and the bandsaw I used the little hacksaw to cut emt. One job in particular i used it to cut
1"1/4 - 1"1/2 all day with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge Boyz View Post
If you do any amount of conduit work I would highly recommend the bandsaw. I will walk out to my truck to get the bandsaw a lot of times rather than pick up the sawzall right beside me for even one cut. There is no comparison. Actually I hardly even use a sawzall anymore.

Same, unless I already have a metal cutting blade in a sawzall. I use the crap out of my m12 bandsaw.
tjb likes this.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
Rey

Quote:
The non-Fuel model doesn't have anywhere near the power as the Fuel model.

Also, when the pipe vibrates it means that you aren't holding it tight enough to the guard. You gotta pull it into the guard very hard. And use a good blade with small teeth.
It looks like I will spend the extra dough to pick up the M12 Fuel version. Eventually I will pick up the M12 bandsaw but I currently don't do much EMT that is why I wanted the hackzall for a little bit more versatility. I think the blade I was using only had 14tpi. I know that 24tpi is better for EMT.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It looks like I will spend the extra dough to pick up the M12 Fuel version. Eventually I will pick up the M12 bandsaw but I currently don't do much EMT that is why I wanted the hackzall for a little bit more versatility. I think the blade I was using only had 14tpi. I know that 24tpi is better for EMT.
If I had to do it over, I probably wouldn't even buy the bandsaw. It's awesome, but I just don't do that much pipe.

The M12 Fuel hackzawl is excellent for all-around work.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #11
Rey

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If I had to do it over, I probably wouldn't even buy the bandsaw. It's awesome, but I just don't do that much pipe.

The M12 Fuel hackzawl is excellent for all-around work.
Yeah, I think I'll go your route Hackwork and opt for the m12 fuel . As much as I'd like to add that m12 bandsaw to the stable, I just don't do that much pipework to justify the purchase at the moment.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,690

IMO - 24TPI is ok for strut but marginal for small EMT, 32 TPI is better.

I'd rather use a hacksaw than the non-fuel Hackzall on conduit and even the fuel hackzall is marginal with strut.

The M12 mini bandsaw in five seconds will show you how much more efficient a bandsaw is than a reciprocating saw. It doesn't seem that ferocious if you just pull the trigger and run it, but it is an example of the slow and steady worker gets done first.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #13
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,449

You don’t need a Fuel. You’re using it wrong. Make sure the shoe is tight against the pipe. It should go through 1/2” EMT even with an old toothless blade, no problem.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #14
zac

Rewards Points: 816

The non fuel hacksaw will always be in my arsenal. I like it for its small compactness and for cutting open drywall when I don't feel like burying a jbox.
If i could only choose one I'd go for the fuel version. The fuel version is roughly the same size as the non fuel m18 hacksaw. In my opinion that's just too big considering the m18 non fuel out outperforms it.

Also the m12 non fuel is great for underground work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #15
Petulant Amateur

I have used a non-Fuel Hackzall on EMT, rigid, PVC, strut, rebar and everything in between, no problem. Telling this guy to buy a Fuel is like telling a lousy driver to trade in his Civic for a Lamborghini and his problems will go away.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #16
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I have used a non-Fuel Hackzall on EMT, rigid, PVC, strut, rebar and everything in between, no problem. Telling this guy to buy a Fuel is like telling a lousy driver to trade in his Civic for a Lamborghini and his problems will go away.
A lot of my problems would go away if I had a Lambo. with a whole new set of problems. 😊
99cents likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:58 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
If you’re running emt all day long (1.5” and under), I’d recommend the m12 band saw. Also great for cutting down bolts, cutting strut, threaded rod, lots of stuff.

Even better than the bandsaw is the metal cutting circular saw
zac likes this.
Wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:18 AM   #18
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post

Even better than the bandsaw is the metal cutting circular saw
Those are pretty efficient but too noisy for me, however, they could be deemed on the versatile side by changing the blade to a wood blade.

But we are electricians - not carpenters.

I like the m12 hackzalls and will head down to HD to go see how the fuel feels in my hands compared to the non fuel.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #19

zac is right about the non-Fuel M12 Hackzawl being smaller and handy for softer things like drywall and PVC.

But the other guy is dead wrong about it being good for steel like rigid pipe or rebar. The Fuel model is much more powerful while still being easily handled with 1 hand. If you are going to get one, the M12 Fuel is a no brainer.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #20
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
zac is right about the non-Fuel M12 Hackzawl being smaller and handy for softer things like drywall and PVC.

But the other guy is dead wrong about it being good for steel like rigid pipe or rebar. The Fuel model is much more powerful while still being easily handled with 1 hand. If you are going to get one, the M12 Fuel is a no brainer.
He said in his opening post that it vibrated like crazy. That means the pipe is moving with the saw blade. You will never cut anything unless the shoe is snug against the pipe and the pipe stays stationary.

My preference is 18V anyway. Longer blade travel and lots of power.