MWBC GE AFCI/GFCI tripping - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By J F Go

Old 05-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 49
Default MWBC GE AFCI/GFCI tripping

Hey guys got a quick one for ya on this Sunday morning. I recently rewired a home from scratch with the laundry room and 3 full baths on the second floor all next to each other. After discussing my plan to use MWBC's with my supplier, i was told i could share neutrals with the use of GE AFCI/GFCI breakers with tie handles to achieve my goal of using 2 12/3's to hit the laundry and three bathrooms, having them all on their own 20A dedicated circuits. Problem i am having is that i can only get one half of each MWBC to hold, and whenever i put a load on the other half, breaker trips. I have traced everything back to the panel to the first box and everything looks fine. I'm now at the point of installing AFCI only breakers and putting GFCI receptacles in the laundry and bathrooms to alleviate the problem, that's my plan b. I'm heading back today to continue troubleshooting and cant shake this gut feeling that i am close to solving this problem. I need help. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
electricdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricdrummer View Post
Hey guys got a quick one for ya on this Sunday morning. I recently rewired a home from scratch with the laundry room and 3 full baths on the second floor all next to each other. After discussing my plan to use MWBC's with my supplier, i was told i could share neutrals with the use of GE AFCI/GFCI breakers with tie handles to achieve my goal of using 2 12/3's to hit the laundry and three bathrooms, having them all on their own 20A dedicated circuits. Problem i am having is that i can only get one half of each MWBC to hold, and whenever i put a load on the other half, breaker trips. I have traced everything back to the panel to the first box and everything looks fine. I'm now at the point of installing AFCI only breakers and putting GFCI receptacles in the laundry and bathrooms to alleviate the problem, that's my plan b. I'm heading back today to continue troubleshooting and cant shake this gut feeling that i am close to solving this problem. I need help. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
"i was told i could share neutrals with the use of GE AFCI/GFCI breakers with tie handles to achieve my goal of using 2 12/3's to hit the laundry and three bathrooms"

Are you using 2-pole AFCI/GFCI breakers made for this purpose? Or 2 single poles with a handle tie that you installed between them?
electricdrummer (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 682

It is not possible to share the neutral from two different circuits with AFCI/GFCI breaker. It will trip every time. Supply house guys aren't really the best source of information to understand how something works, IMO. MWBC conductors, for what you did, would have been you using the multi conductor with two neutrals in the sheath.
electricdrummer likes this.
J F Go is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J F Go For This Useful Post:
electricdrummer (05-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 1,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
It is not possible to share the neutral from two different circuits with AFCI/GFCI breaker. It will trip every time. Supply house guys aren't really the best source of information to understand how something works, IMO. MWBC conductors, for what you did, would have been you using the multi conductor with two neutrals in the sheath.
He said was using the new GE breakers, which you can in fact share a neutral at least for the AFCI ones, not sure about the Dual function GFCI/AFCI.
https://www.geindustrial.com/print/node/234861

Great for retrofits, however the OP said "rewired from scratch", hmmm, I'd give everyone a neutral while I had the chance.

"He said was using the new GE breakers",
edit: I stand corrected, the OP didn't say this.

Last edited by Signal1; 05-05-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
"i was told i could share neutrals with the use of GE AFCI/GFCI breakers with tie handles to achieve my goal of using 2 12/3's to hit the laundry and three bathrooms"

Are you using 2-pole AFCI/GFCI breakers made for this purpose? Or 2 single poles with a handle tie that you installed between them?

thanks hack! that's it! I will pick up 2pole breakers first thing monday morning.
electricdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 24

Nope. Need a 2 pole breaker. 2 singles tied together ain’t gonna work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 696

I have used a handle tie with two single pole GE AFCI breakers, but not the Dual function type. I think the Dual function is the problem. If you have a real two pole Dual function made the same way one is that we typically use on a hot tub (if there is such a thing), you'd probably be ok. I think you are going to have to go back to GFCI at the point of use, provided it's accessible.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,031

GE's regular combination type non gfci arc fault breakers no longer have any kind of ground fault protection. The handle tie works just fine for them. A gfci breaker depends on the neutral from each circuit to be landed on the device. They measure the current usage between hot and neutral. More then 5 mA difference and they trip. This is why one of your breakers is tripping. You need 2 pole breakers in this application.
I don't think anyone has a 2 pole dual function breaker yet. It's a day late and a dollar short for this job, but 2 12/2 home runs are only $10 more in material then 1 12/3. You are now going to spend $25 in GFCI outlets to save $10 in wire
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 567

So you guys are saying that you can use 2 standard single pole combo AFCI breakers (no GFCI) with a handle tie to power both legs of a MWBC and it will work without issue?

I know that if you touch the neutral to ground of a circuit fed with an AFCI it will trip, so I didn't think 2 of them would work with a shared neutral of a MWBC.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
So you guys are saying that you can use 2 standard single pole combo AFCI breakers (no GFCI) with a handle tie to power both legs of a MWBC and it will work without issue?

GE has specifically removed any ground fault protection from their standard combo single pole arc fault breakers. MWBC or not, you don't need to land the neutral on their afci breakers
http://apps.geindustrial.com/publibr...me=DEQ-234.PDF
Old 05-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 696

I've done this at least half a dozen times and have it in my own house with the GE AFCI breakers.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
Band Member

Rewards Points: 548

As Signal1 mentioned, GE took the GFP out of the their AFCI breakers. So you could use 2 single poles with a tie bar and not have a problem.

AFAIK, they didn't take the GFP out of the GFCI

BR took the GFP out of their AFCI's as well, but it's not documented (at least anywhere I can find)

So for a dual function, OP would need a 2 pole breaker.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #13

Now, if we can only convince them to take the AFCI protection out of AFCI breakers