Need help. Iím baffled - dead outlet - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By LARMGUY
  • 4 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By E-Rack
  • 3 Post By frenchelectrican
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Need help. Iím baffled - dead outlet

Hello. Thanks in advance for the help/advice. I will do my best to give all details.

State- Washington
Built- 2008
Type- condo

Now to the problem; outlet just stopped working. Itís a washing machine outlet dedicated. Electrical box has 20 amp breaker, outlet has 15 amp standard outlet. Everything has been working fine until 2 days ago. The outlet just went dead, washer does not turn on, it died mid wash. I thought maybe the breaker tripped so I reset it multiple times, nothing. I purchased a new breaker thinking maybe it just went bad, nope, new one does the same. I replaced the outlet with a new gfci and still nothing. The outlet is tripped and wonít reset. I put a sniffer to the hot wire and it lights up. I put a outlet tester in and nothing, no lights. I tested both on an outlet in the hallway and both work.

I have read that both the breaker and outlet should be rated the same. This was apparently not done when the house was built, same with it not being a gfci outlet. Iím not sure what WA state code is, thatís why I included where Iím from.

I believe Iíve given all the info, if I missed something
Let me know. Again, any help is greatly appreciated. My next move is to go buy a standard outlet, my only concern is the box is directly below the hot/cold lines.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 640

ibtl
wildleg likes this.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,970

This site is for electrical pros only. Please post on...
https://www.diychatroom.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,970

Dominoes delivers!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #5

If itís full of pros then I came to the right place. Why would I want to ask a plumber a question about electrical?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 779

It is most likely illegal for you to do this in a condo.

The reason is because if you do it in your own house you are only risking the lives of yourself and your own family. If you do it in a condo, you are risking the lives of all the other people.

Hire an electrician. Everything you said is way off base, nowhere near what you should be doing. You are wasting your time and if something goes wrong I think they should file manslaughter charges on you.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
It is most likely illegal for you to do this in a condo.

The reason is because if you do it in your own house you are only risking the lives of yourself and your own family. If you do it in a condo, you are risking the lives of all the other people.

Hire an electrician. Everything you said is way off base, nowhere near what you should be doing. You are wasting your time and if something goes wrong I think they should file manslaughter charges on you.
Well, I didnít expect someone with 27k plus post to be a troll. Thanks for your advice.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
Modťrateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Erack.,

Just stop right there and you are NOT aware of your state law saying the condos it have a electrician come out and do the repair on the condos.

same rules applies to the apartment complexes too.

I going close this thread on this one.

oh yuh please do not get Hackwork ticked off.,, he gave you a hard direct answer to your situation.
readydave8, HackWork and 99cents like this.
Signal1 (09-14-2018)
Closed Thread