prevent lights in public hallways from flickering - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By CTshockhazard

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 124
Default prevent lights in public hallways from flickering

On one of my previous jobs I over heard a foreman telling an electrician to wire up the public hallway lights in a residential high rise tower so that each
public hallway light has its own separate neutral, this will prevent the public hallway lights from flickering.
If you had one single neutral run from the electrical closet, then pigtailed all the public hallways lights to that single neutral, could some of the lights in that chain back feed into other lights, which will cause a slight change in voltage
which leads to lights flickering?

what does the foreman mean by each light should have its own separate neutral? does he mean each light should have its own neutral run back to the neutral bar in the electrical closet?
Wire Tags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 09:40 AM   #2
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire tags View Post
on one of my previous jobs i over heard an idiot telling an electrician to wire up the public hallway lights in a residential high rise tower so that each
public hallway light has its own separate neutral, this will prevent the public hallway lights from flickering.
If you had one single neutral run from the electrical closet, then pigtailed all the public hallways lights to that single neutral, could some of the lights in that chain back feed into other lights, which will cause a slight change in voltage
which leads to lights flickering?

What does the foreman mean by each light should have its own separate neutral? Does he mean each light should have its own neutral run back to the neutral bar in the electrical closet?
fify

Were you born retaŕded or did you pick that up on your own?
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:37 PM   #3
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 216

If you like wasting wire, running very large conduit, extra work, why not? He probably heard it on the internet, it must be true, right?

If you're gonna go that far, run a dedicated circuit for every light from the panel.

Might as well install a separate service for each too.

Where do we stop with this?

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.
Advertisement

Old Today, 02:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 98

I had a foreman on a high rise that ran the fire alarm crew. It was an assisted living building with a hotel like layout. Each unit had a horn/strobe inside so if the fire alarm went off you can see and hear it in the unit.

When it came time to test the system with the programmer he noticed there were no horn/strobes in the unit. The fire proclaimed he put them all in. The fire alarm program opened a random unit door from the main floor hallway and pointed into the unit and said see there are none.

The foreman brought him into the bedroom of the unit and pointed to a horn/strobe mounted on the bedroom wall about 36” off the floor.

The programmer said that’s not where the engineer specified on the print. To that the foreman pulled out his plans and pointed to one of the notes on the side of the prints.

It said “horns must be 80 decibels at pillow height”.

To this day he is probably still nicknamed “pillow height”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VELOCI3 is online now   Reply With Quote