price of gfci - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree29Likes

Old 12-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
electrorick

Rewards Points: 217
Default price of gfci

Almost all electronic products get cheaper after they have been around for a while

why are gfci receptacles still $16

they should be about $3
is not what I meant
RICK BOYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,622

Patents.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to telsa For This Useful Post:
WorksOutOfaVan (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,726

If it's any consolation they are lower quality than they used to be.
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 880

I personally could care less what they cost, cause I won't install them . It's a GFCI breaker for all my installations. Those receptacles, you speak of, are way to unreliable, as far as I;m concerned. And besides, it's way easier to replace a breaker, when it's freezing cold outside, then one of those damn receptacle outlets. JMPO
MechanicalDVR likes this.
J F Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
I personally could care less what they cost, cause I won't install them . It's a GFCI breaker for all my installations. Those receptacles, you speak of, are way to unreliable, as far as I;m concerned. And besides, it's way easier to replace a breaker, when it's freezing cold outside, then one of those damn receptacle outlets. JMPO
You would rather pay $50 for a breaker than $16 for a receptacle to accomplish the same thing? We have gfi failures occasionally but it is usually ones outside, especially ones in landscape posts. We replace very few under warranty.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
tmessner likes this.
Forge Boyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge Boyz View Post
You would rather pay $50 for a breaker than $16 for a receptacle to accomplish the same thing? We have gfi failures occasionally but it is usually ones outside, especially ones in landscape posts. We replace very few under warranty.

You just made my point. The one's that usually fail are the ones outside. Most are on the deck and installed 12" AFF. I'm not the one paying the 50 bucks, customer is. I have not replaced one breaker in the past 10 plus years since I started doing this, can you say the same about your GFCI receptacles ? And with the new "plug onto the neutral" design makes it even easier. I don't know about anyone else, but I like easy.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,244

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I like easy.

In residential, the trifecta is easy, cheap, and fast.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
In residential, the trifecta is easy, cheap, and fast.
Actually you left one very important one out, No Go Backs.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 46

I try to avoid putting gfi's outside if I can. We do a fair amount of work for a landscape company and that is when we end up using gfi's in the posts. Other than outside I don't see a lot of gfi failures.
The flip side of receptacles vs breakers is that it is easier for home owners to find the receptacle with the trip button popped out and reset it than go open the panel. Then you dont have to deal with the "are you going to charge me for the 2 minutes you were here" as much.

tmessner likes this.
Forge Boyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,469

Quote:
You just made my point. The one's that usually fail are the ones outside. Most are on the deck and installed 12" AFF. I'm not the one paying the 50 bucks, customer is. I have not replaced one breaker in the past 10 plus years since I started doing this, can you say the same about your GFCI receptacles ? And with the new "plug onto the neutral" design makes it even easier. I don't know about anyone else, but I like easy.
Half the old panels I work on are packed full of excess wire. Then there are the guys obsessed with cable ties. How is a breaker easier? Besides that, Iím not going to pay the bandits at Schneider for a Stab Lok GFCI breaker.

My failure rate on GFCI receptacles is almost zero. I did replace GFCI breakers after a thunderstorm, though.
Forge Boyz likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
zac

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
That's not for me. Chances are there's a fluorescent in that circuit (garage). Also if it's exterior, chances are it's getting a bath and a gfci breaker will trip just the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 449

Quote:
I have never had to replace a GFCI receptacle that I installed under warranty. The ones that I did have to replace after many years, I charged a service call fee and made money. Even then, itís still very few.

As for the customer paying the extra expense for the breaker, I have to disagree with that. If you can charge them that extra $35 and they are willing to pay it, it still makes more sense for you to install the receptacle instead and pocket that extra $35 each as pure profit.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
MTW

Rewards Points: 7,908

The price of GFCI's went up due to tariffs. LED's are next.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #14

Well all I can say is this is how I do it and I haven't replaced a breaker or got nuisance tripping either (Florescent lights). Haven't found to many panels I couldn't put a GFCI breaker in either. If I find a panel that bad, I'll show the customer and do some sort of repairs,(clean-up,) upgrade as it were. I guess there are many ways to look at this and mine has worked just fine for me. Not going to change the way I do it after all these years.
zac likes this.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,185

J F Go,
What is it you have against profit? Hax is right. If you can sell the job with a $50 GFCI breaker in the cost, then you can sell the job for the same price with a $16 GFI receptacle in the cost. Use the money to pick up pizza and beer on the way home. Still plenty of money left to cover your time for the rare callback for a defective outlet.
Hax would spend it on hookers and blow, but who am I to judge
MechanicalDVR and HackWork like this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 7,520

I have replaced many old gfi’s that were installed outside, but none of them were installed by me. They were there for a long time, way past any warranty givin by the installer.

There are times when you should use a breaker instead of a receptacle, but doing it every time because your worried about receptacle failure is a waste, it really doesn’t happen that often.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:26 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,973

In my house I put the GFCI inside near the door, and run the outside receptacle as a load off it. Keeps the electronics dry, and the outside receptacle protected.

Of course it was my own house, so the added labour cost wasn't really a huge consideration for me. I'm not sure how I would do it if I were trying to make money on a job.
AK_sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
neutral member

Rewards Points: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK BOYD View Post
Almost all electronic products get cheaper after they have been around for a while

why are gfci receptacles still $16

they should be about $3
I have noticed that prices of GFCI's have drifted down many times, then new requirements kick in and price goes back up

The older ones could be mis-wired with line and load reversed (and often were)

And most recently: TR!
Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sparky View Post
In my house I put the GFCI inside near the door, and run the outside receptacle as a load off it. Keeps the electronics dry, and the outside receptacle protected.

Of course it was my own house, so the added labour cost wasn't really a huge consideration for me. I'm not sure how I would do it if I were trying to make money on a job.
Between material and extra labor, I think you'd be better off just using a GFCI breaker in both situations (your house or a customer's).
Old 12-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
I have noticed that prices of GFCI's have drifted down many times, then new requirements kick in and price goes back up

The older ones could be mis-wired with line and load reversed (and often were)

And most recently: TR!
The price of TR's started coming down, and then BAM, self-testing were released at the new higher price
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
readydave8 (12-28-2018)