Questions on a Neutral - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Questions on a Neutral

Can you connect neutrals from different circuit together in a box....even though they are tied together in the panel. Why or Why not?
dplayboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,198
Default Neutrals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplayboi View Post
Can you connect neutrals from different circuit together in a box....even though they are tied together in the panel. Why or Why not?
If there is more than one phase conductor and they are of the opposite phase their common neutrals can be tied together. If there is a situation of multiple phase conductors ,and there may be a chance of some being the SAME phase, the neutrals have to be kept separate so that the neutral will not overheat if both, or possibly more circuits are run at or near their max. Is that what you are asking?

Last edited by RIVETER; 02-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

With modern circuits requiring separated neutrals, like AFI's for example, I would keep `em separated.

Tie in all your grounds together, but leave the neutrals separated.

-KB

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Tying all the noodles from the panel out to a box most likely will violate 310.4 as well.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

multiple phases opposite phases...same thing right? i mean you said if more than one conductor with opp phases; you could tap the neutrals from different phases together but than you said multiple phases don't tap the neutral...CONFUSED!!! I mean just think about a 3 gang box with three switches controlling three different light circuits. one neutral circuit contains netural for light and recepts(so will you tie those together) and the other two switches have their own neutral.

My grandma flood lights blew out the bulbs in 4months...how could that be? i open up the switch box and all the neutrals were tied together (total of 11 whites; two for switch 1 two for switch 2 and 1 for recept 6 for flood light switch) i think the neutral had something to do with it
dplayboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,198
Default Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
With modern circuits requiring separated neutrals, like AFI's for example, I would keep `em separated.

Tie in all your grounds together, but leave the neutrals separated.

-KB
You are most likely correct. I have never installed AFCs.If they have a comparator circuit as a GFCI does I can see why the separation. Does the breaker have to have the designated neutral, so to speak, to monitor the characteristic current of the ARC?
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER View Post
You are most likely correct. I have never installed AFCs.If they have a comparator circuit as a GFCI does I can see why the separation. Does the breaker have to have the designated neutral, so to speak, to monitor the characteristic current of the ARC?

AFCI breakers provide a certain amount of GFCI protection (but not enough to qualify as personel protection), so combining two AFCIs on a MWBC would produce an imbalance tripping one or both of the breakers.

Same thing happens when you try to put two GFCI breakers on a MWBC.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplayboi View Post
multiple phases opposite phases...same thing right? i mean you said if more than one conductor with opp phases; you could tap the neutrals from different phases together but than you said multiple phases don't tap the neutral...CONFUSED!!! I mean just think about a 3 gang box with three switches controlling three different light circuits. one neutral circuit contains netural for light and recepts(so will you tie those together) and the other two switches have their own neutral.

My grandma flood lights blew out the bulbs in 4months...how could that be? i open up the switch box and all the neutrals were tied together (total of 11 whites; two for switch 1 two for switch 2 and 1 for recept 6 for flood light switch) i think the neutral had something to do with it
I believe you have terminology problems. The white wires tied together in the switch box may be all from the same circuit (circuit breaker). If that is the case then you must tie them together. Now if you have 2 or three different circuits - coming from different circuit breakers-- then you must separate the neutrals. If you don't it is a violation and will cause unwanted electromagnetic fields in the house.

If a flood light is lasting 4 months and it is on often that is pretty good.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

To add onto what Dennis said, when someone mentioned that you could tie the neutrals together from opposite phases, they were talking about a MWBC in which the neutral is shared.
JackBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Did you have the weather washers on the Floods. They are a washer made of a non combustable material that keep ice and water from forming at the base of the fixture. they go on the shell of the lamp. These will dramaticaly increase the life of the lamp. Also check the wattage. A high wattage lamp creates a lot of heat. Heat and dampness dont mix well. Try to keep the wattage at 100. Also install a 130v rated lamp instead of a 120v. Big difference also.
bdeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,008

I always thought that one could only share a neutral when used for split receptacle , drier, or stove in residential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't fight .. Play nice!
Toronto Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote