Replacement Bath fans ...no patching? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree13Likes

Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 279
Default Replacement Bath fans ...no patching?

Hi,
I usually let customers buy parts like lights, ceiling fans, and bath fans. however, I've had to install some awful bathroom fans when doing replacements in a finished ceiling.
Often I have to cut metal brackets with a sawzall because the mounting screws to the joist aren't available without making a bigger hole (so I've drilled and screwed through the side of the casing).
There have been a few times when I felt that the mounting system was not secure (in an old plaster ceiling for instance).
More than once, I've had to move a fan to a joist because the old one was attached to a crappy "frame" that someone made in the ceiling, but if there were a secure mounting system, maybe I wouldn't have to?

So, I'm at the point where I'd like to call the shots on products, but I haven't done enough of these jobs (or often enough to remember) to have a favorite brand or anything...

*Are there any rehab fans that don't need to be attached to a joist (that you feel are secure -I don't want a call back!!!)?

*Are there rehab fans that you feel are easier to install and do minimal damage to the ceiling?

I don't care that much about money ($100-$250 depending on CFMs/Sones) because I have enough work to be able to tell a potential customer "my way or no way".

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!
adamthebman likes this.
Greg Sparkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,348

We pretty much use Panasonic fans however I am not sure if you can use them in the middle of the joist.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Greg Sparkovich (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,348

Here is some info on it http://business.panasonic.com/FV-08-11VF5.html
Majewski likes this.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,903

What about replacement parts? We have a parts bandit here who carries good stock for Broan/Nutone and Softaire. All the guts come in a package if that's what you want.
Majewski likes this.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
What about replacement parts? We have a parts bandit here who carries good stock for Broan/Nutone and Softaire. All the guts come in a package if that's what you want.
Thanks for the suggestion and Yep, sometimes I do that.
...Although I have only done this with low-end innards.

In this case, I am going to be replacing 3 smaller fans with bigger ones, so I know I will have to remove the old ones and cut some of the ceiling to fit the larger casing.
So, for this job, I want to find a fan that is easy to mount in an existing ceiling.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 26,208

Why re-rough ANYTHING ?

These puppies aren't exactly turbo-jets.

The industry has settled on to various 'frame sizes' -- same as NEMA.

Get new guts to replace the old guts, DONE.

You wouldn't happen to suffer from electrician's OCD ?
Jmcstevenson and Majewski like this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #7
Petulant Amateur

The hole for a fan should be big enough to scab some extra lumber up there. Some 2 X 4 and framing screws should work. Even if you fasten the 2 X 4 to the drywall, that's only a few screw holes to fill.

I like the Softaire fans. They have the flange. I wonder if you could screw a couple of 2 X 4's to the drywall and then attach the fan through the flange holes from below? Never tried it. I'm thinking lay the 2 X 4 flat on the drywall.

Last edited by 99cents; 10-01-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Why re-rough ANYTHING ?

I have seen lots of rehabs where contractors cut every corner to make a dime. Having a small fan in a powder room is fine, but what about the master suite? Should I just replace their dinky 80 CFM fan parts? That is not my business model!

*I* don't live there -so I don't know what it's like to take a shower there -*they* do. And my customers don't have to live to my standards anyhow.

I have no objection to saving customers money or telling them that they don't need something (I've certainly talked enough people out of a 200amp service), but unless there is a reason, I do what my customer wants. It's one reason they like me and I'd guess why I'm booking into December.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
The hole for a fan should be big enough to scab some extra lumber up there. Some 2 X 4 and framing screws should work. Even if you fasten the 2 X 4 to the drywall, that's only a few screw holes to fill.

I like the Softaire fans. They have the flange. I wonder if you could screw a couple of 2 X 4's to the drywall and then attach the fan through the flange holes from below? Never tried it. I'm thinking lay the 2 X 4 flat on the drywall.
Thanks; I don't know the softaire fans. Do you like them better than Panasonics (I've heard good things but I don't remember ever installing one)?

I want to avoid adding lumber if I can though. I wish there was a frame like a fan-fast (Those threaded braces that fit between joists so you can hang a ceiling fan)...
Old 10-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sparkovich View Post
Thanks; I don't know the softaire fans. Do you like them better than Panasonics (I've heard good things but I don't remember ever installing one)?

I want to avoid adding lumber if I can though. I wish there was a frame like a fan-fast (Those threaded braces that fit between joists so you can hang a ceiling fan)...
Softaire/Reversomatic is the best bang for the buck. Panasonic is overpriced. Check your dimensions, though. SA-90S is my go-to upgrade fan. It's 8" high. Super quiet, quieter than Panasonic (with apologies to Dennis).

http://www.reversomatic.com/wp-conte...A-90S-new1.pdf
Greg Sparkovich likes this.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,114

what do you do about the undersized ducting? Im noticing a lot of the newer fans are calling for 6" duct, while most of the existing fans are 4" and some are only 3".
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drspec For This Useful Post:
telsa (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 26,208

Quote:
Softaire/Reversomatic is the best bang for the buck. Panasonic is overpriced. Check your dimensions, though. SA-90S is my go-to upgrade fan. It's 8" high. Super quiet, quieter than Panasonic (with apologies to Dennis).

http://www.reversomatic.com/wp-conte...A-90S-new1.pdf

Ya think ?
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 819

Quote:
Why re-rough ANYTHING ?

It doesn't work like that. Last week my customer bought the same exact exhaust fan that they had and wanted me to install it. But when I opened the old one, it was a different motor and completely different method of mounting it. To make things worse, the box of the new one was about 1/2" larger and I had to open up the hole that had wood framing around it.

There are no standards.
B-Nabs likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Ya think ?
Even the Broan garbage is overpriced in comparison.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspec View Post
what do you do about the undersized ducting? Im noticing a lot of the newer fans are calling for 6" duct, while most of the existing fans are 4" and some are only 3".
If I don't go to do an on-site estimate (and I avoid that like bad beer), then I ask the customer to find out by taking a picture at least. If the person feels comfortable taking the cover off, then I get a pic of the label. If I can match the model, I'll know what to expect and buy accordingly. I have had customers who bought the wrong fan before contacting me and I just tell them what to get after I've looked inside (Or I can get it myself). I charge extra for that visit according to how much of a pain it was to get there. I'm sympathetic that they tried, but that's the downside of them choosing without paying or just asking for my expertise.
I don't mind doing some planning for my customers while I watch Walking Dead. I'd rather save time by getting info than make money when they make a mistake -nobody ever feels good about that and I never want a customer to feel like I'm not doing enough for them.

That's kind of why I'm posting about this...
I don't do enough fans to feel like I'm 100% on game with this, so I'd like to eliminate some of the guess work on installations. I figured since it's 3 fans at the same property, I'd get a little education.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sparkovich View Post
If I don't go to do an on-site estimate (and I avoid that like bad beer), then I ask the customer to find out by taking a picture at least. If the person feels comfortable taking the cover off, then I get a pic of the label. If I can match the model, I'll know what to expect and buy accordingly. I have had customers who bought the wrong fan before contacting me and I just tell them what to get after I've looked inside (Or I can get it myself). I charge extra for that visit according to how much of a pain it was to get there. I'm sympathetic that they tried, but that's the downside of them choosing without paying or just asking for my expertise.
I don't mind doing some planning for my customers while I watch Walking Dead. I'd rather save time by getting info than make money when they make a mistake -nobody ever feels good about that and I never want a customer to feel like I'm not doing enough for them.

That's kind of why I'm posting about this...
I don't do enough fans to feel like I'm 100% on game with this, so I'd like to eliminate some of the guess work on installations. I figured since it's 3 fans at the same property, I'd get a little education.
You still didn't answer my question. Do you use reducers for 4" fans when 3" duct is existing or replace the ducting?

If you don't upsize the ducting then upgrading the fan is pointless imo.
telsa likes this.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #17
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 16

Some the panasonics come a with a nice old work bracket that works well between joists. At least in drywall, I rarely end up with any patching. These often come with a 3 to 4 reducer. Broan/Nutone has the same bracket with some of their higher end units. The panasonic I prefer is the shallow model without the normal 4 inch end, not the oval exhaust. Before these retrofit brackets, I would cut the opening a little larger than needed, test fit, then screw some strapping or plywood strips to the drywall. Put the fan up and and screw through the holes in the flange through the drywall and into the wood strips.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 386

I love the nutone old work/new work fan at HD it is listed for a 4 or 6 inch duct and comes with either wings or stud mounting. runs around $120. As far as duct size goes I've been told repeatedly to not install a fan on a duct that is too small it leads to fan noise and reduces the lifespan and voids the warranty. The only thing I'm terribly concerned about is the noise it makes when it comes to a customer's home.
Anathera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anathera For This Useful Post:
splatz (10-02-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #19
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 16

Have a link to those? I looked and I see the Ultragreen ones with the bracket, but haven't seen anything with old work wings.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 386

InVent Series 80 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Bath Fan

http://thd.co/1MPkgt8

I think this is the one I have been using but I'd have to put my hands on it to be sure
Anathera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom fans, bathroom vent, fan vent, old work fan, rehab fan