Smokes - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By papaotis

Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620
Default Smokes

What can make one smoke out of four not set off the others but the others set it off. Changed the smoke and still same thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i like neat! just doesnt always happen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 484

Sounds like the problem might be with one of the other smokes and not with the one you changed out.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voltron For This Useful Post:
papaotis (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 916

Take the one you took out and go around and replace each of the others with it until you find the culprit. If you know which one is next in the line that's the best place to start.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFL For This Useful Post:
papaotis (03-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 878

4 wire, 2 wire, addressable?

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:03 AM   #5
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
What can make one smoke out of four not set off the others but the others set it off. Changed the smoke and still same thing
What brand it is ?

Some models are very senstive and I know some models if you do run in interconnectioned mode some case you may pick up induction or stray voltage on signal conductor ( interconnection conductor ) so that is possiblity.

If near high airflowage area it may cause to trip out irregularly especially near HVAC duct opening or strong brezze from ceiling fan can do that .
Old 03-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
What brand it is ?

Some models are very senstive and I know some models if you do run in interconnectioned mode some case you may pick up induction or stray voltage on signal conductor ( interconnection conductor ) so that is possiblity.

If near high airflowage area it may cause to trip out irregularly especially near HVAC duct opening or strong brezze from ceiling fan can do that .
Which models do you find to be extra sensative?
John M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
Which models do you find to be extra sensative?
I know one from HBK I think if brand is correct is senstive to dust which I have see it kicked off.

Kiddie is not too bad but with our international model what we have over here they are allright in my books.

But any model with dual sensors can get little touchy.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,168

Quote:
I know one from HBK I think if brand is correct is senstive to dust which I have see it kicked off.

Kiddie is not too bad but with our international model what we have over here they are allright in my books.

But any model with dual sensors can get little touchy.
I think you might mean BRK, their 7000 series I think are the ones that get annoying.
frenchelectrican likes this.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I think you might mean BRK, their 7000 series I think are the ones that get annoying.
Thanks for correcting me on this one but yes that is correct the BRK few of them do get annoying with false alarm and over sensteive.

I just dont know if they did address the issue with that.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me on this one but yes that is correct the BRK few of them do get annoying with false alarm and over sensteive.

I just dont know if they did address the issue with that.
You're welcome brother.

I believe they have a 9000 series now but haven't heard what has changed or if they improved at all.

When I was doing that type work in upstate NY they were very common to see due to the extremely low cost for places like apartment complexes that had so many to buy at once.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I'm going to guess these are standard 120V resi smokes with the intertie wire, so I'll base my responses on that.

The problem is likely one of the following:
1) Not all of the smokes are compatible. They need to be the same brand and model, ideally. The manufacturers have a compatibility list. Even if they're all from the same manufacturer, not all models in that manufacturer's line are even compatible. Not every interconnectable 120v smoke will "talk" to every other brand and model of 120v smoke. If they're different models, you need to check the manufacturer's documentation to make sure they're compatible.
2) The intertie wire from that smoke to the rest in the chain is not connected somewhere. The 3 wire cable doesn't necessarily go from one smoke to the next. They sometimes make a pit stop in ceiling light boxes along the way; even in the attic and basement. Ring out the intertie wire between all the smokes and confirm that you have continuity between all of the smokes.
3) If you replaced what you believe is the offending smoke, and reused the little molex connector that's pigtailed onto the wires in the box, that little connector may have an issue. I've seen the little box contacts push back out of the plastic housing and not make contact with the pins on the smoke.
4) That smoke isn't part of the interconnected system at all, but is simply a stand-alone hardwired unit.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
Band Member

Rewards Points: 2,556

I agree with MD (#1 option). That they are not compatible.

If these are hardwired, that wire must be intact if the others can trigger this one. So it's a voltage level incompatibility.

If these are wireless interconnected, the unit you have can receive the signal but not transmit enough power to reach the others.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #13
corn-fused

didnt get back to that job today, but i'm going to start withmoving the smokes around and then md's #2 , check the wire connections. they are all the same brand and it wont be hard to trace wire path, i installed them!
MikeFL likes this.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #14
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 878

Quote:
What brand it is ?

That's why code says 3 ft. minimum from air source.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #15
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,200

Quote:
didnt get back to that job today, but i'm going to start withmoving the smokes around and then md's #2 , check the wire connections. they are all the same brand and it wont be hard to trace wire path, i installed them!
are you in compliance with specifications of where
NOT to install these?

IDK what you you do or don't know about NFPA 72
but if you haven't already done so , check out page
72-106 (I have the 2013 edition) & read 29.8.3.4.

Some locations (and I still see violations on new installs
all the time cause many guys don't read NFPA 72)
could be part of the problem.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #16
corn-fused

yes , i know the rules according to mfg. went back there today and checked conections and then switched the smokes around and got a different result each time. by different i mean nothing consistent

Old 04-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
yes , i know the rules according to mfg. went back there today and checked conections and then switched the smokes around and got a different result each time. by different i mean nothing consistent
How old are they?

Old enough to warrant replacement?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #18
corn-fused

nope . 6-7 months. a remodel job that is just getting the final.