What is considered living space? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By MikeFL
  • 3 Post By macmikeman

Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 131
Default What is considered living space?

Homeowner is enclosing a porch with block and glass windows but will not be under heat/air. Does he need receptacles for living space?

After the block was installed and passed, he calls for window inspection. This day the inspector tells him this will be considered living space and require receptacles to code.
Homeowner calls me, I explain we can add them but they will need to be surface mounted which he does not want.
2 existing GFCIs are present but it's far from the 6 foot rule.
I thought living space was under heat/air, no?
MrsElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 666

This is probably under the jurisdiction of the building code. Find out what code they use for residential buildings and check with that for the definitions of what is considered living space.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,812

If it's a "sunroom" then 210.52(A) lumps it in like most other rooms. If it's a "balcony, deck, or porch" then it only requires one receptacle. I don't know what else you could call it.

Quote:
Habitable Space. Building space intended for continual human occupancy. Such space generally includes areas used for living, sleeping, dining and cooking, but does not generally include bathrooms, toilets, hallways, storage areas, closets, or utility rooms.
Although without heat / air it might not be suitable for "continual occupancy" year round you could say if it's going to be occupied continuously part of the year, it needs the receptacles.
HackWork and MrsElectric like this.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,992

I'd be curious to know what bldg dept is issuing permits without doing plan review. It's a whole lot cheaper to correct it on paper than it is to correct it on the earth.

They need the receptacles.
MrsElectric and Bird dog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25,344

You're in FLORIDA. Heating and air is optional.

Any time I see a space that is totally enclosed and at all suitable for furniture -- I'd call it living space... 'cause you know folks will flop there... fur sure.

As for the homeowner: let him have fun with the building department.

You just quote'em and build'em.

If he can stump up for wet cut slots in his CBUs -- flush mounted receptacles can be done.

Coming up from below might be an option. I can't see the joint from my desk.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post

Any time I see a space that is totally enclosed and at all suitable for furniture -- I'd call it living space... 'cause you know folks will flop there... fur sure.

If he can stump up for wet cut slots in his CBUs -- flush mounted receptacles can be done.

Many locations have "3 season rooms"!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post

You ain't never lived there have you? During winter there are some periods when if you didn't have heat you will die. During summer if you don''t have ac you wish you would die.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,378

OK Mac, I hesitate to believe you would die in a Florida winter without heat. We have homeless people who stay outside all winter in temps that can get to -30, -40 at night.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
I'd be curious to know what bldg dept is issuing permits without doing plan review. It's a whole lot cheaper to correct it on paper than it is to correct it on the earth.

They need the receptacles.
I can get a permit online to rewire a 40k sq ft house without ever submitting a set of plans for review, no load calcs., no nothing.

When the inspector arrives though, you better have your stuff together or they'll rip you a new one.

I like it, I can have a permit in 10 minutes. No stupid useless building department holding up something for "You need one additional receptacle here, you'll have to resubmit the plans tomorrow".
Switched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #10

Thanks
Sounds like we'll have to add them he just would have preferred to not have surface mount had plans or an inspector caught it earlier
Cannot come from below since it's on a slab
Old 03-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
I can get a permit online to rewire a 40k sq ft house without ever submitting a set of plans for review, no load calcs., no nothing.

When the inspector arrives though, you better have your stuff together or they'll rip you a new one.

I like it, I can have a permit in 10 minutes. No stupid useless building department holding up something for "You need one additional receptacle here, you'll have to resubmit the plans tomorrow".

Wow I wish! Our city requires drawings with wire and pipe size for every single electrical permit applied for and if any changes are made in the field I have to submit a revision and pay $ or it will fail. I'm talking small things too like add an additional receptacle or light, what a pain!
Old 03-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
OK Mac, I hesitate to believe you would die in a Florida winter without heat. We have homeless people who stay outside all winter in temps that can get to -30, -40 at night.

Tim.

In Hawaii we cry when the weather hits 60 and gotta wear long pants/sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WorksOutOfaVan is online now   Reply With Quote