where exposed to physical damage - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By joebeadg
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 2 Post By joebeadg
  • 1 Post By MDShunk

Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256
Default where exposed to physical damage

ENT, greenfield, PVC are permitted to be exposed, but not subject to physical damage. This always baffles me, like I'm afraid to use it almost. I see it all over, even in new buildings. I used a 3' piece of ENT the other day in a residential garage feeding a subpanel. Now I'm wondering if its legal. Where do you draw the line on subject to physical damage?
fungi020 likes this.
joebeadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,057

It's the AHJ's call. Typically anything outside, or around motor vehicles and under 8' AFF.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #3

whats AFF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

I wish there were more clear guidelines in the book
Old 10-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeadg View Post
I wish there were more clear guidelines in the book
The last thing we need is more codes.
Switched likes this.
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:01 AM   #6

Oh hell no! no more rules please, I just meant some examples of what might be considered exposed or subject to physical damage. And for some reason, they use both those terms . Maybe the next code will have subject to physcological damage!
flyboy and MikeFL like this.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,993

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeadg View Post
whats AFF?

AFF= Above Fininshed Floor

It's a measurement up from whatever you are walking on after all the flooring is finished.
AK_sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
L J

Rewards Points: 14

I know what you mean. For example... around here you will see LFNC between countless A/C condenser units and their disconnects and it’s good to go. But if you run a #4 GEC strapped directly to the building for the main disconnect, you will fail because of 250.64(B) “subject to physical damage”.

And in some cases I’m talking about these two examples being on the SAME exterior wall.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 26,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I know what you mean. For example... around here you will see LFNC between countless A/C condenser units and their disconnects and it’s good to go. But if you run a #4 GEC strapped directly to the building for the main disconnect, you will fail because of 250.64(B) “subject to physical damage”.

And in some cases I’m talking about these two examples being on the SAME exterior wall.
The physical damage = meth heads.

THAT'S the problem. Get it?
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:41 AM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,657

Physical Damage is when carpenters from California move to Hawaii to surf and somebody hires em off Craigslist to install a sliding glass door in place of a window. So they drag out a sawsall and cut thru the base board and chop the receptacle outlet circuit in half because in older single wall houses here , that is always where the receptacle outlet wiring is found .. I get these rescue calls twice a year at least. Another one is installing a skylight in the hallway on old houses. The guy named Joe Pau who built ten thousand or so the them always had the electricians run the wiring across the planking on the roof before Brie was rolled over that and tarred in place. So they cut the hole for the skylight , and now none of the lights work anymore cause they cut the branch feed ...........

Whoop Whoop, I charge large.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 64

I loved those single wall homes. No roach condos like block walls. I lived in both when I lived there.
volleyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 14

I often have the similar concerns. I was just talking to my inspector about an unfinished basement rewire job I have coming up in a few weeks with 7 foot tall cealing. I asked him if he wanted me to drill out the cealing joists and run romex. Use firing strips and run the wire across there or run everything in EMT. He tells me to put everything in PVC and use backer boards when it goes down to wall to secure it to. Typically if its going to be a larger job I just ask the inspector what they want and then I never have any problems. For garages I always use EMT.
fungi020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I favor a "reasonable man" approach to what is subject to physical damage rather than actual rules. If it you foresee that it will likely be damaged during the course of normal use (like weed eaters/mowers, stored materials, machine tool chips, traffic, etc), then it's subject to physical damage. Just because you can touch it or see it doesn't make it subject to physical damage. Imagining roving bands of claw hammer wielding meth heads or meteorites falling from thy sky doesn't make it subject to physical damage. At my current workplace, they just want to make it easy on us and just have a flat rule that anything within 10 feet of the deck has to be RMC, which seems like a very reasonable rule in a manufactory.
MikeFL likes this.

Last edited by MDShunk; 11-28-2018 at 03:59 PM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote