Why is it so hard to schedule inspections? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree19Likes

Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 64
Default Why is it so hard to schedule inspections?

Is there a reason why many inspectors don't take voicemails and dont schedule inspections with office secretary? Many times it takes me an hour to reach an inspector and sometimes I have to try for a few days because they simply dont pick up during that 1 hour window of office time.
I just think its extremely ridiculous to waste so much time just to schedule 1 inspection.

Last edited by kolyan2k; 04-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.
kolyan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 9,747

It depends on geography. I apply for permits online. I can also book inspections online but I usually just make a call and the inspector arrives the following day. Easy.

I can’t understand a place that makes permitting and inspections difficult. If they want compliance, make it easy.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
It depends on geography. I apply for permits online. I can also book inspections online but I usually just make a call and the inspector arrives the following day. Easy.

I can’t understand a place that makes permitting and inspections difficult. If they want compliance, make it easy.
Havent seen a single website that would take online appointments and in many places even secretary is not allowed to schedule inspections. Almost always you must speak with inspector DIRECTLY (no voicemails or call backs)
Like today I was on phone for 45 minutes without success and after 45 minutes was told that inspector left early and not in office anymore. Now my work plans for Monday and probably Tuesday are screwed up. And on top of it they make you be present during inspection and have 2-3 hour window of waiting on a job site.....which is almost 1 hour away from my home or where I usually work.

Yes, its 2019 everything thing should be ONLINE, but no one cares because its operated by gov

Last edited by kolyan2k; 04-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.
kolyan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 9,747

AFAIK we can even buy weed online .

I don’t phone the inspector, I can just dial a 3 digit number that puts me through to a city operator and whoever picks up the phone books the inspection.
B-Nabs likes this.

Last edited by 99cents; 04-12-2019 at 09:49 AM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,452

Because government.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,696

There are some real jackasses running building departments.
They can give better service; they just won't.

Approach a politician about forming an oversight committee so the contractors can evaluate how things are done and how improvements can be made. We did that and the results were fantastic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
Is there a reason why many inspectors don't take voicemails and dont schedule inspections with office secretary? Many times it takes me an hour to reach an inspector and sometimes I have to try for a few days because they simply dont pick up during that 1 hour window of office time.
I just think its extremely ridiculous to waste so much time just to schedule 1 inspection.
Try email. I work in 5 different areas and inspection has never been an issue. One area I can do it all online- get permit, schedule inspection and see the results of the inspection.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Havent seen a single website that would take online appointments and in many places even secretary is not allowed to schedule inspections. Almost always you must speak with inspector DIRECTLY (no voicemails or call backs)
Like today I was on phone for 45 minutes without success and after 45 minutes was told that inspector left early and not in office anymore. Now my work plans for Monday and probably Tuesday are screwed up. And on top of it they make you be present during inspection and have 2-3 hour window of waiting on a job site.....which is almost 1 hour away from my home or where I usually work.

Yes, its 2019 everything thing should be ONLINE, but no one cares because its operated by gov

Then just donít get an inspection and when they get mad tell them why and how itís not possible to be able to work with them. Or attend a stake holder meeting, or get as many if not all the other contractors in that town to rally and pressure them to make a change. You have a voice. Make it known in places more than an Internet forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lighterup, J F Go and telsa like this.
Drsparky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsparky14 View Post
Then just donít get an inspection and when they get mad tell them why and how itís not possible to be able to work with them. Or attend a stake holder meeting, or get as many if not all the other contractors in that town to rally and pressure them to make a change. You have a voice. Make it known in places more than an Internet forum.

Good idea you have there except getting EC, in my area anyway, together for something like this would be like herding cats.
lighterup likes this.
J F Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,036

A few weeks ago I paid for parking, then walked 3 blocks to town hall, then walked another block inside of town hall to find the building department thru tunnels in a basement in an annex building, just to find a sign on the door saying that the entire building department was closed for lunch, I could not drop off my permit application because not a single person was left there.

I had to do it all over a few hours later. Then I had to go back to pickup and pay for the permit. Then after the job was done I had to wait 3.5 hours out of a 5 hour window for the inspector.

But I was able to schedule the inspection over the phone so I guess I did good on that one.

And people wonder why we only pull permits on a few types of jobs.
micromind, readydave8 and flyboy like this.

Last edited by HackWork; 04-12-2019 at 01:06 PM.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,868

We can do most everything over a phone menu or on-line. We scheduled an inspection yesterday afternoon and had our final green tag in hand before morning break.

The inspectors are also very responsive. I know I can get a hold of them directly before 8am.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25,234

Typically the inspectors on the front line have absolutely no authority to change anything.

The guys above them don't want change -- which in government is a BIG production.

In my short stint in government it took two months and a lot of talk just to clean up a single sheet of reportage.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

Obviously the Inspectors Benevolent Fund is not being addressed
CTshockhazard and telsa like this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
Can't sign em..forget em

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
Good idea you have there except getting EC, in my area anyway, together for something like this would be like herding cats.
exactly
Old 04-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #15
Can't sign em..forget em

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Typically the inspectors on the front line have absolutely no authority to change anything.

The guys above them don't want change -- which in government is a BIG production.

In my short stint in government it took two months and a lot of talk just to clean up a single sheet of reportage.
We don't have to be present for an inspection. They want aphone number iif
"Justin Case" shows up.

Good thing too.

Last week I got a call ,on my cell, from an inspector.

He called me up and started telling me what a "big problem" he had
with my temporary power pole!...(me thinking right off the bat..
"how does anyone eff up a temp pole"?)

I ask what's wrong ...he starts to describe it ...I interrupt and say
"uhhhm...you have got to be looking at the wrong temp pole"...
He was.

BTW...your first sentence is exactly correct. They don't...only
the CBO does.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,696

I called the EC from a jobsite once. I pulled up to do a final hot check and there was smoke coming out of the soffit of a new single family. Called the fire dep't first, POCO 2nd and then the EC.

Someone drove a long screw in the wrong place, again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Then after the job was done I had to wait 3.5 hours out of a 5 hour window for the inspector.
I don't know what I would do if I had to do that. I have rarely met an inspector on the job. I would have to charge extra to wait around 3 hours.

I know in one county you can call them and they will call you about an hour before they are coming to give you a heads up if you had to be there to let the inspector in.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
I don't know what I would do if I had to do that. I have rarely met an inspector on the job. I would have to charge extra to wait around 3 hours.

I know in one county you can call them and they will call you about an hour before they are coming to give you a heads up if you had to be there to let the inspector in.
On this one it was a rental property for an out of state customer who I have had for years. Insurance made them get rid of the 6 FPE panels. They had a lockbox there with a key for me to get in, and I knew I would have to wait for the inspector when I took the job so I covered that cost.

But it still sucks.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 264

Quote:

And how is it going to be rectified by complaining on an internet forum???
Old 04-13-2019, 01:54 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 8

I have to request for inspection via fax machine. (Not joking)

WorksOutOfaVan is offline   Reply With Quote