Why is it so hard to schedule inspections? - Page 2 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum


Like Tree19Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #21
Can't Remember
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,801
Rewards Points: 570
Default

At least some of MA has online permit application and the ability to pay online as well. That helps not having to drive there to get it and pay for it. The inspection thing varies as others said from town to town. Lately it hasn't been much of a problem. I have one to schedule in Haverhill MA, and not expecting any trouble. Homeowner is retired so he can be there most likely. I have one coming in NH that they require us to be there for.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #22
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksOutOfaVan View Post
I have to request for inspection via fax machine. (Not joking)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Around 10 years ago I had a really interesting one.

I responded to a request to handle a repair of a meter socket enclosure.
Customer said PUCO sent her a letter threatening to cut off power and
to have it fixed & inspected.

I went to the building department , talked to Inspector and he most definitely
stated I needed to pull a permit which meant registering there to include a performance bond.

I did everything as instructed....called for inspection and the same guy
yelled at me over the phone..."I'm not coming out for that! stop wasting my time" and hung up on me....I'm not joking either.
micromind likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #23
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,544
Rewards Points: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterup View Post
Around 10 years ago I had a really interesting one.

I responded to a request to handle a repair of a meter socket enclosure.
Customer said PUCO sent her a letter threatening to cut off power and
to have it fixed & inspected.

I went to the building department , talked to Inspector and he most definitely
stated I needed to pull a permit which meant registering there to include a performance bond.

I did everything as instructed....called for inspection and the same guy
yelled at me over the phone..."I'm not coming out for that! stop wasting my time" and hung up on me....I'm not joking either.
What are you complaining about? I would have taken that as a compliment. Him just hanging up on me saved me time. No chit chat and ball licking required. Wonderful!

In this case, he new you did the work correctly as an experienced master electrician would and didn't make you hang around for hours waiting for him to show up for an inspection.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
stiffneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Custer's Last Stand, Missouri, USA
Posts: 295
Rewards Points: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
What are you complaining about? I would have taken that as a compliment. Him just hanging up on me saved me time. No chit chat and ball licking required. Wonderful!

In this case, he new you did the work correctly as an experienced master electrician would and didn't make you hang around for hours waiting for him to show up for an inspection.
You are so cruel
__________________
Liberalism is a Mental Disorder; quote Dr. Michael Savage of the Savage Nation
stiffneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,544
Rewards Points: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
You are so cruel
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #26
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
What are you complaining about? I would have taken that as a compliment. Him just hanging up on me saved me time. No chit chat and ball licking required. Wonderful!

In this case, he new you did the work correctly as an experienced master electrician would and didn't make you hang around for hours waiting for him to show up for an inspection.
wrong again ...wrong wrong wrong. PUCO will not clear the service until it's "inspected""
You missed that part didn't you. Also...HO would not pay until it was
inspected. I never got my money...but I did get my Bond money back.

I know your not saying this a straight face
99cents likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #27
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,544
Rewards Points: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterup View Post
wrong again ...wrong wrong wrong. PUCO will not clear the service until it's "inspected""
You missed that part didn't you. Also...HO would not pay until it was
inspected. I never got my money...but I did get my Bond money back.

I know your not saying this a straight face
I'm never wrong. Well that isn't exactly true. One time I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
460 Delta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 470
Rewards Points: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterup View Post
Around 10 years ago I had a really interesting one.

I responded to a request to handle a repair of a meter socket enclosure.
Customer said PUCO sent her a letter threatening to cut off power and
to have it fixed & inspected.

I went to the building department , talked to Inspector and he most definitely
stated I needed to pull a permit which meant registering there to include a performance bond.

I did everything as instructed....called for inspection and the same guy
yelled at me over the phone..."I'm not coming out for that! stop wasting my time" and hung up on me....I'm not joking either.
This just proves that permits and inspections are for revenue generation and not for safety and compliance to code. All they were after was the cash to feed the bureaucracy.
I'll be subbing in for MTW while he's on "vacation".
micromind likes this.
__________________
Perfection is the enemy of good enough
460 Delta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #29
Bilge Rat
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 6,275
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
And people wonder why we only pull permits on a few types of jobs.
No kidding!

This is a prime example of what's wrong with government these days.......instead of using basic intelligence and tact, their first approach is always force.

"We're the government, we'll MAKE them do it our way".
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #30
neutral member
 
readydave8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clarkesville, Georgia
Posts: 1,417
Rewards Points: 450
Default

a small town nearby

permit applications only accepted between 2-3 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays, had to be scheduled in advance, 20 minutes each. So if 3 @ 20 minutes were already scheduled, would have to wait for subsequent day

The inspections were easy to schedule, though
__________________
Dave Ruth
readydave8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 377
Rewards Points: 24
Default

I used to think I had it bad with our inspection process. But now I feel like Iím complaining about first world problems. Because we are able to get inspections most of the time next day. Itís online, and if we call the inspector in the am we can get a time ironed out to meet them. Also they call me when there are issues.

I no longer will complain because of this topic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drsparky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 64
Rewards Points: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsparky14 View Post
Then just donít get an inspection and when they get mad tell them why and how itís not possible to be able to work with them. Or attend a stake holder meeting, or get as many if not all the other contractors in that town to rally and pressure them to make a change. You have a voice. Make it known in places more than an Internet forum.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dont get inspected is not an option because you cant close building permit then and no one at the job will be paid ))
kolyan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 64
Rewards Points: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
At least some of MA has online permit application and the ability to pay online as well. That helps not having to drive there to get it and pay for it. The inspection thing varies as others said from town to town. Lately it hasn't been much of a problem. I have one to schedule in Haverhill MA, and not expecting any trouble. Homeowner is retired so he can be there most likely. I have one coming in NH that they require us to be there for.
Yes some towns are good. You just leave a voice mail or schedule with secretary and never have to see inspector. Its just lately on past jobs its been a huge pain......on top of it they are closed today and inspector asked me to do something thats not required by code. (didnt even want to say anything to him because some can usually find another way to f you)
kolyan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 64
Rewards Points: 64
Default

And another one lol.... Done a small job over the weekend. Can't pull permit online, email, or mail it in, have to drive back over 1 hour each way. Funny that they do have online database and registration/login etc, just can't apply for new. I guess I should be thankful that another job 1:40 min away does have online permitting....
kolyan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:11 PM   #35
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,544
Rewards Points: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
And another one lol.... Done a small job over the weekend. Can't pull permit online, email, or mail it in, have to drive back over 1 hour each way. Funny that they do have online database and registration/login etc, just can't apply for new. I guess I should be thankful that another job 1:40 min away does have online permitting....
It is what it is brother tradesperson and businessperson. Know this before you take the job and charge as required. Or, have the customer do the running around instead of paying you. Have them call you to schedule the job after they get the permit.

Is there anyway you can shrink your market radius up a bit? Seems like a lot of travel time.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you ever have more customers than you can schedule? Cricket Featured Articles 3 08-08-2018 03:37 PM
Failing inspections WronGun General Electrical Discussion 19 01-13-2018 07:19 PM
Meaning of Hard Usage? Whgoodrick New Member Introductions 4 11-13-2017 10:57 PM
hard pipe to motor Wiresmith Industrial Electrical Forum 19 04-05-2017 02:05 AM
Hard hats embral Tools, Equipment and New Products 45 04-15-2016 09:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com