2'' 3'' and 4'' aluminum rigid conduit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 1 Post By joebanana
  • 2 Post By sbrn33

Old 01-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool 2'' 3'' and 4'' aluminum rigid conduit

Hello from snowy upstate New York,
Im looking at a job that requires Large rigid conduit installed and as a lot of you know Aluminum is cheaper and lighter. Im getting a little older and have forgotten if standard shoes for Rigid bending (Greenlee 777) will work ok without kinks and damage ? Greenlee did not give me a clear answer and wants to sell upsell me to a do-all $$$
Thanks
richewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by richewill View Post
Hello from snowy upstate New York,
Im looking at a job that requires Large rigid conduit installed and as a lot of you know Aluminum is cheaper and lighter. Im getting a little older and have forgotten if standard shoes for Rigid bending (Greenlee 777) will work ok without kinks and damage ? Greenlee did not give me a clear answer and wants to sell upsell me to a do-all $$$
Thanks
The ridge alum conduit or the intermate alum conduit ?

Really the alum ridge conduit is the same size as steel ridge conduit so you should able bend it without much issue but make sure your bending shoe is clean and no debries on it. that will bite ya if you do not do this step first before you start bending it. sometime I spray little WD40 on shoe to make it bend more smoother.
MechanicalDVR and PokeySmokey like this.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,846

Welcome to Electrician Talk.
I'm not sure about IMC as far as direct cross size to ridged. OD. My memory says its the exact same as far as bender shoes.
Besides I have never heard of IMC shoes. I think you are fine with the same bending shoes and measurements?
There are guys here that use IMC a lot and will be a better source for the information you seek.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Yes. Rigid Al and Rigid Steel use the same shoes. Sidewinder style bender on the rigid shoe for 2" and hydraulic bender like the greenlee 881 table bender for the 3" and 4".
RigidRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #5

Also down here in NYC I use Gal Steel Elbows on my bigger Aluminum runs because pulling through Aluminum sucks even with the Simpull and the WireEase! The steel elbow makes a world of difference! I always bend my own. I personally am not a prefab fan at all except for this one situation...lol!
RigidRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #6

Thanks John, I compared allied site for aluminum rigid 4 inch has 4.5 inch od .225 nominal wall thickness to wheatland rigid steel galv. dip and its the exact same measurements.

I do not understand why they would make a special shoe setup for aluminum rigid?

maybe because its softer?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by richewill View Post
Thanks John, I compared allied site for aluminum rigid 4 inch has 4.5 inch od .225 nominal wall thickness to wheatland rigid steel galv. dip and its the exact same measurements.

I do not understand why they would make a special shoe setup for aluminum rigid?

maybe because its softer?
My point. Same measurement. Same OD.
But lets wait and see what some of the other guys have to say.
I know Southeast Power uses IMC a lot!

Last edited by John Valdes; 01-05-2018 at 09:04 PM.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 7,073

Use standard rigid bending shoes. Aluminum and GRS are the same dimensions.
cabletie likes this.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,274

Like Joe says, there're all the same shoe.

Do you have one shot shoes for the 777 in 3" and 4"? I thought that bender only does one shot to 2" and segment shoes up to 4".

The only thing to keep in mind is that aluminum seems to straighten out after a while. So if you bend the perfect 10" offset and install it, the next day it may look open. Same with 90's. Just thought I'd mention it so you don't think your going crazy.

Otherwise threaded aluminum is a dream compared to RGS.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,346

AL is cheaper than steel or IMC? Would have never guessed that. My only trouble ever with AL is threading. If you go to fast it can gall.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #11

Good morning, site had me shut out but ok now?
Thanks for the help guys, you are right cabletie segment bending on the 777 (2.5''-4'')
sbrn33 Alum. is cheaper & lighter checked 2-3 sites for $ comparison.
Hay rigidrak great tip forgot all about steel 90's for pulling.
Thumbs up to the mods many thanks for what you do and comments
Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,110

Bending: Standard EMT benders, one size larger than the size of the conduit, should be used on conduit trade sizes 1 and smaller. For sizes over trade size 1, conventional equipment is recommended.

Copied and pasted from the Allied Tubing site
bostonPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #13

Agreed although after calling Allied & bender mfg. companies to test them out I found that their bending knowledge is minimal, bender company wanted to sell me equipment to bend emt imc and rigid to cover me for aluminum for moey bueno$ cheers